Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Bolt and Tesla destination chargers

9K views 42 replies 17 participants last post by  allsmiles277 
#1 ·
I haven't paid much attention to Tesla chargers. For road trips, I rely on DCFC. But recently I learned that more and more hotels are installing Tesla destination chargers for guests to charge for free. It sounds like a nice supplement to the DCFC backbone.

Exactly how does work? I will need to have a adaptor to convert Tesla connector to j177. No problem if the charging is free. What about if it is not? How can I still pay to charge? I also heard that the adapter might be tax deductible.

Your inputs are appreciated.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I haven't paid much attention to Tesla chargers. For road trips, I rely on DCFC. But recently I learned that more and more hotels are installing Tesla destination chargers for guests to charge for free. It sounds like a nice supplement to the DCFC backbone.

Exactly how does work? I will need to have a adaptor to convert Tesla connector to j177. No problem if the charging is free. What about if it is not? How can I still pay to charge? I also heard that the adapter might be tax deductible.

-TL

Most Tesla destination charging spots also have Clipper Creek J1772, thanks to Tesla. None of these chargers are pay to use. Some at B&B's may be restricted to Tesla owners by the management. But I think most are fine with non-Tesla drivers who stay overnight. Some even offer the adapter to guests, if they don't have Clipper Creeks too. Carrying an adapter is good insurance at any time.

As things are rapidly evolving, I doubt most of us will be traveling for pleasure this summer.

#3 ·
Thanks. The hysteria will pass. Eyes for the future. If part Tesla and part j177, then having an adapter will increase my chance to get a spot. Good to know. Will keep an eye for a good deal for the adapter.

So the cost is tax deductible?

-TL

#11 ·
I purchased a TeslaTap and have used it fairly often. My three reasons for use are: 1) some places (e.g. Snowshoe Village, WV) have ONLY Tesla plugs; 2) in many locales, the charging power/rate is somewhat higher (same voltage, higher amperage) on the Tesla connector; and, 3) at motels (and State Parks) with multiple Tesla plugs and ONE J-1772 plug, my using the TeslaTap overnight for my Bolt EV does not leave the next non-Tesla motel guest who arrives later than I, out in the cold with no compatible plug.

#13 ·
I purchased a TeslaTap and have used it fairly often. My three reasons for use are: 1) ... 2) ... 3) ...
Here's a fourth reason: It lets you use a Tesla UMC (Universal Mobile Charger) and a selection of AC adapter plugs to plug in virtually anywhere that an AC power outlet is available, from 120V NEMA 5-15 to 240V NEMA 6-50 or 10-50.

#18 ·
Did a little bit more readings on the subject. Got more questions.

Tesla destination charging allows all Tesla cars to charge for free. The charger needs to make sure the car is Tesla. How does it work with a bolt then? The adapter just fools the charger?

-TL

#22 ·
Did a little bit more readings on the subject. Got more questions.

Tesla destination charging allows all Tesla cars to charge for free. The charger needs to make sure the car is Tesla. How does it work with a bolt then? The adapter just fools the charger?
It doesn't work like that. Everything is on the honor system. And once installed, the equipment belongs to the propery owner who can set whatever restrictions they like outside of charging money for usage.

It's just a standard J1772 L2 EVSE with a Tesla plug on the end. It no more detects if a Tesla is connected than your home EVSE detects your Bolt. As long as whatever plugs in follows the J1772 protocol, the destination charger will work. All the adapter does is route the wires from the Tesla socket to the J1772 plug.

ga2500ev

#30 ·

-TL

I have tried 2 different types of adapters and I don't know if we can mention names in this forum but my best luck has been with the TeslaTap and I have had partial luck with Lectron.

#39 · (Edited)

View attachment 35360
Tesla has talked about, but has yet to implement, a billing system for destination chargers via wi-fi that follows the same outline as a Supercharger. When it comes about, I don't expect 3rd party adapters to work if billing is activated. This will not apply to 1st and 2nd Gen wall connectors since they are not wi-fi enabled.

<rant>
I wish these hotels (and other business destinations) would just install 14-50 outlets. It didn't happen in the past because Tesla paid for the EVSEs and part of the installation costs. The achilles heel of these public EVSE L2 are vandalism and public abuse. So many of them end up broken.
</rant>

#38 ·
#41 ·

-TL

I have been charging my 2017 Bolt EV at a restaurant that has a Tesla Destination Charger. For some reason it cuts off after about 2 hours and I just start it over again since I am in my EV. I listen to my cd player which is a portable I bought on Amazon. The car is on while I am charging and I have done this for 5-6 1/2 hours when I am out of town. Does my car being on cause this charging to stop after around 2 hours ? I don't like trying to pick up a charge back to 100% so I break it up into several days now. Once I get it back to a full charge I feel good knowing that I have gotten that out of the way. There are no DCFC that some people refer to as Level 3 chargers in the area where I am located. Infrastructure for charging is pathetic. I will be glad when Tesla sells an adapter for using Tesla Superchargers even though this area has none of them either. I thought Elon Musk would have done that for the USA but he has done it for the Far East and Europe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.