Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Notes on the Bolt as a mobile office. Works great like so many other things the Bolt is good at, put the seat all the way back, and push the steering wheel in. Unfortunately my elbows don't have a good place to go or at least I haven't figured that out yet. I'm taking an online class which has lecture videos, I already had them on a USB stick, and watching video on the center console is brilliant. Really easy to get work done, excepting for the elbow thing.

I found a 12V laptop adapter, but unfortunately it can't handle the running computer, it'll only charge while the computer is suspended. Too much power draw, wish I had that checked out before depending on it.

Best thing is that you can run climate control (while charging or not) and have a nice personal office in whatever conditions. I like to plug in somewhere and get some work done with the AC/Heat set to whatever I wish.

I'm looking for a nice case to manage all the computer gear, maybe one that would sit behind the drivers seat.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Bolt has an AT&T plan, which means if your mobile phone is by other provider, it improves the chances of your getting some coverage in "remote" areas.
Great point. I have AT&T on my phones too so can pay just $10 a month to make it an 'extra device' to share data (annoying it costs $10/mo but that's AT&Gouge). Even sharing a provider it works great in this capacity, I've been at my sisters house in the country where my phone gets no service, but the Bolt with it's antenna can pull in 2 bars. I assume they use the metal roof to create a large dipole antenna, the reception is crazy good.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My cellular service is also with the AT&T network. And my Bolt's Wi-Fi Hot Spot phone number 541-218-3*** is also part of my AT&T account. My three month trial ends in December, so after that I'll be billed an extra $10 bucks per month. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Isn't the OnStar program and billing separate form the AT&T 4G LTE Wi-Fi data sharing plan?
The Bolt is also my mobile office. I'm a Realtor in Oregon and the Bolt EV is my company car. Besides the novelty of showing property in an electric car, it's a definite plus to offer my clients Wi-Fi as we travel from one location to the next. In the car the network appears as "BoltEV" and the password is "chevrolet".

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Isn't the OnStar program and billing separate form the AT&T 4G LTE Wi-Fi data sharing plan?
It's either/or. You can get one of several plans from OnStar (like the $20/mo unlimited plan) or you can link it to your phone AT&T data plan for $10/month (the latter being the only option to link it to your phone data plan). The latter is only available if you already have an AT&T family data sharing plan I think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It's either/or. You can get one of several plans from OnStar (like the $20/mo unlimited plan) or you can link it to your phone AT&T data plan for $10/month (the latter being the only option to link it to your phone data plan). The latter is only available if you already have an AT&T family data sharing plan I think.
Does anyone know what the Bolt uses for modile service in British Columbia Canada??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Intersting that you are having problems with the laptop power supply. I have a Bolt that is being used as a marked police car, and it has (among other aftermarket electrical accessories), a laptop docking station mounted in it, and a Lind brand 12v-to-16v power supply that draws about 7 amps, and I haven't have any issues with it running the Panasonic Toughbook CF-33 Computer.

While on display at several NDEW events, I had all of the emergency lighting on as well as the computer, which was a total of about 14-17 amps from the 12v battery, and never had a problem with the battery voltage going below 12.7 volts, as long as the ignition switch was on.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seriously?

A Bolt as a marked PoPo? Show us pictures! That's cool. And reminds me to stay within the posted speed limits whenever I am in Bowie...

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Intersting that you are having problems with the laptop power supply. I have a Bolt that is being used as a marked police car, and it has (among other aftermarket electrical accessories), a laptop docking station mounted in it, and a Lind brand 12v-to-16v power supply that draws about 7 amps, and I haven't have any issues with it running the Panasonic Toughbook CF-33 Computer.

While on display at several NDEW events, I had all of the emergency lighting on as well as the computer, which was a total of about 14-17 amps from the 12v battery, and never had a problem with the battery voltage going below 12.7 volts, as long as the ignition switch was on.
That's pretty cool! Is your Bolt rigged to put suspects and criminals in the back too? How about the weapons locker, under the false floor? :laugh: I love it. I think many here would love to hear your impressions as a LEO of a Bolt police car in another thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My cellular service is also with the AT&T network. And my Bolt's Wi-Fi Hot Spot phone number 541-218-3*** is also part of my AT&T account.
luckymaf, that 541 phone number of yours, did it come with your Bolt? Where/how did you get that phone number?

I purchased Onstar's unlimited 1-year 4G LTE data plan and I'm trying to link it to a mobile phone number. Can I only link it to an AT&T phone number (not to other networks)? The AT&T operator told me they require the vehicle's wireless phone number -- I'm assuming my Bolt came with a wireless phone number but when I called Chevrolet customer support, no one could give it to me.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
luckymaf, that 541 phone number of yours, did it come with your Bolt? Where/how did you get that phone number?

I purchased Onstar's unlimited 1-year 4G LTE data plan and I'm trying to link it to a mobile phone number. Can I only link it to an AT&T phone number (not to other networks)? The AT&T operator told me they require the vehicle's wireless phone number -- I'm assuming my Bolt came with a wireless phone number but when I called Chevrolet customer support, no one could give it to me.
I just went through all the menu options I could find and did not discover the phone # to the WiFi, but you can get the phone # to the car even if you don't have a plan (like me). Hit the Onstar button and ask; "What is my phone number" It will verbally tell you and visually display it on the screen. It's possible that they have that 1 number for both.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
60 Posts
Intersting that you are having problems with the laptop power supply. I have a Bolt that is being used as a marked police car, and it has (among other aftermarket electrical accessories), a laptop docking station mounted in it,
Hi there.

What are you using as a laptop mount? I’ve got a 21 Bolt and a Ram Mount. With a base that fit my 2006 Scion XB. But, it won’t fit the Bolt with 16 & 3/8th center to center seat base holes. Trying to just replace the base plate since I’ve got hundreds invested in everything above that.

Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts