Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, in the San Francisco Bay Area, we had record-setting high daytime temperatures. Because communities around the bay are almost always cooled by the ocean air coming inland through the Golden Gate, most houses do not have air conditioning.

My wife and I are not used to 100F heat and our older bodies don't adjust well. We made sure to stay hydrated but got fairly miserable in the afternoons.

Realizing I could safely operate the Bolt in the garage, we got in, turned it on, and cranked up the A/C. In short order, the car was refreshingly cold, enough so that I had to turn the thermostat up. After 10 minutes or so, we had been returned to a comfortable temperature and lost our crankiness!

We repeated this maneuver 2 or 3 times a day, over a 3-day period, and the cost in mileage on the GOM was 3 miles. I felt it was a very efficient way to stay comfortable and healthy, and keep smiling. Thanks, Bolt!

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Cool story! ;)

A useful technique for staying cool in high heat is to wet yourself and use a fan. If you wet your hair, for example, a fan blowing across it will pull an awful lot of heat out of your system.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No fans in our house and SF stores sold out of them!

I use a wettable cooling vest on my motorcycle when over 90F. But the Bolt didn't leave us feeling clammy!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Happy (surprised, but happy) that you lost so little range. When travelling in the Bolt I set the A/C to just a few degrees cooler than ambient, rather than a strict 72 (or even 74) degrees. I turn the fan on to 2 dots and direct the airflow toward me. I feel cooler, but lose little in range.

·
Registered
782 Posts
yeah I like doing this also - since I fill the EV's up with "off-peak" electricity - it's nice to run the battery during the day using the "cheap" power from the night before

60 kWh of emission-free stationary/mobile storage is really quite amazing and a powerful tool if you think about how to leverage it for non-transpiration needs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts