Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In central Maine we have a lot of power failures primarily due to downed trees (there's a lot of them). The Bolt will have a very large reservoir of power if it could be harnessed during these outages with some kind of optional inverter/control system. Wondering if GM has anything like that in mind. Tesla and SonnenBatterie are starting to market such a residential system instead of gasoline, natural gas, propane generators. This would be miles ahead but I'd be uncomfy without design supported by OEM:nerd: . thx

·
Registered
11 Posts
In central Maine we have a lot of power failures primarily due to downed trees (there's a lot of them). The Bolt will have a very large reservoir of power if it could be harnessed during these outages with some kind of optional inverter/control system. Wondering if GM has anything like that in mind. Tesla and SonnenBatterie are starting to market such a residential system instead of gasoline, natural gas, propane generators. This would be miles ahead but I'd be uncomfy without design supported by OEM:nerd: . thx

That's a cool idea. I haven't heard anything. In your case it might be cool if someone developed a generator that could harness burning the wood from those downed trees. A miniature steam electric power plant. A bit more work to get the lights on though.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Doesn't the Powerwall store electricity from solar panels? It's great if you already have solar panels but if you don't, buying and installing them isn't cheap. Maybe in the future when the tech is more affordable.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Buying and installing may not be cheap but you have to look at the long term, that's where you really benefit from it. Initial costs will always be high. Long term cost is what matter and where you really see the value in it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Power walls and SonnenBatterie are starting to market in the order of 10KWH. They are expensive sofar. The cars have lots more storage and for those outage events would supply a house for much longer. There's talk of eventually cars en masse supporting grid peaks rather than starting up a gas turbine etc. An optional inverter/controller would make plug in and pure EV's that much more attractive now.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I can't wait for that time to come and it seems it can happen soon, before this decade is out. Plus we have to consider all the things we don't know happening behind the scenes.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Don't see anything about harnessing the power in your car but it looks great for future clean energy production.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Can't think of any other ways than with a battery and they'll need more batteries, and that contributes to weight.

Best to just wait for better battery tech since that will help to store more power and maybe even keep it for longer, more efficient use of pweor.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Is there going to be a way for people to harness the battery power of a Chevy bolt?
Just wait until GM sells them for a few years, than some will unfortunately get into collisions, and become salvage. Then you may see a new use of the Bolt battery for home power. I say this now, because GM and Nissan are actually using old packs as a secondary power source. The Bolt EV will be next.:)

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's actually a great solution to power outages and not enough houses have a generator. I could see these catching on more as time goes on and they become more affordable.

·
Registered
639 Posts
GM might even partner up with one of those brands to sell it in their dealerships. That would be a good distribution channel and GM dealerships are every where even though some had to be cut during the recession of 2008-2009

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Have the battery pack charged during off peak hours so you can charge the car whenever you want in case you forget to plug it in at night and on top of that you can power the house with it. That'll e great.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That would be a good reason for some people to get wireless charging since you don't have to think about it, just set it up in your garage or parking spot once and that's it. Don't have to make a habit out of plugging a cord into your vehicle.

First signs of this happening should be with supercars and hypercars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's actually a great solution to power outages and not enough houses have a generator. I could see these catching on more as time goes on and they become more affordable.

The pricing I got for a Sonnen Batterie was rediculous. I suppose time will make these affordable but use of EV or Plug in would be much better once the engineering makes them practical. Too much power involved for amateurs to play with.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
How much were you quoted from Sonnen?
If they don't make those batteries cheaper, most people will just go solar and bank the electricity they generate but don't use and those batteries will lose out on a market.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts