Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

With 10 months gone in 2017, the Bolt has 17,083 sales which is realistically [URL=http://www.chevybolt.org/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2
behind the Tesla S (not every model has reported for October, but unless there is a big spike in butt ugly BMW i3 all the players that haven't reported are on schedule to sell as many units this year that the Bolt does in a month).

Seeing the Bolt beat out the Tesla S in its first full year of production in my view is a long shot being some 3k units behind and knowing Tesla will have a big December. Still, I am thinking Tesla finishes the year with ~28k-30k Model S sold and Chevy sells some ~22k-25k Bolts. Considering a majority of the year distribution was limited and sales are steadily climbing, I think 30k+ may be ambitious but not insane for 2018.

What do you think?

There will be a new Nissan Leaf, but 40kwh air cooled battery (but at a lower price point).
There will be the Tesla Model 3 in full production (maybe?).

I wonder when/if GM will start a big marketing blitz? They have said they are going to have several new EV in the coming years and right now the EV is a place where they are as good if not better than their rivals? Granted trucks are GM's cash cow, but there is only so many times you can have a commercial comparing steel truck beds to aluminum.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Chevy Bolt Outsells Tesla combined Model S/X for first time...selling 2,781 Bolts in October 2017.

Sounds like everyone else is starting to understand what we already know.

The Chevy Bolt is an awesome EV!

Note that Chevy has not included production numbers to Canada nor the sale of Amperas to Europe in these numbers.

We are talking about production numbers above 30,000 units in the first year....which is above estimates.

Chevy could have sold many more as Canada and Europe are starved for units. We generally know why in Europe (sale of Opel) but Canada short of units is a different story.

We need to show more Bolt love for our northern neighbors.

Hopefully 2018 will be a great year for the Chevy Bolt and all EV's in general.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Considering a majority of the year distribution was limited and sales are steadily climbing, I think 30k+ may be ambitious but not insane for 2018.
The big, big question is whether increased numbers of new EV models will dilute the existing pool of EV buyers or attract more customers into the EV fold. Reality will probably be somewhere in the middle. But the Bolt is a strong contender, and I think it will do well.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
The big, big question is whether increased numbers of new EV models will dilute the existing pool of EV buyers or attract more customers into the EV fold. Reality will probably be somewhere in the middle. But the Bolt is a strong contender, and I think it will do well.
I'd love to buy a second EV at some point. Not going back to ICE if EV prices come down. May consider used on the next one because the federal rebates will dry up before too long. There should be a bunch of used Bolts available in three years when everyone's leases run out. I've resurrected old electronics by building replacement battery packs. Hey, just scale that up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First Time EV Buyer Here. Closest we came before was a Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid, which was really less a hybrid and more an electric assist to provide some much needed help getting off the line.

And we really didn’t look at any other EV. 2+ years for Tesla 3 (the only one we could remotely own, Nissan is still not out (Lower price but 33% less better greatly restricts most weekend travels out of town) & BMW (Styled by a blind man on crack and $$$).

I had in another post that we can break even on our Bolt after ~4 years after adjusting for the tax rebate. I think if production costs go down (or cost of ICE go up) to make the numbers work without that credit, GM may not know what to do?!

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'd love to buy a second EV at some point. Not going back to ICE if EV prices come down. May consider used on the next one because the federal rebates will dry up before too long. There should be a bunch of used Bolts available in three years when everyone's leases run out. I've resurrected old electronics by building replacement battery packs. Hey, just scale that up.
I predict used EV prices will temporarily climb a little as federal rebates expire. When new vehicles all of a sudden cost $7500 more, people will stop buying them and look to the used market.

I'd buy your used EV in the next year or so. They might appreciate in value in the next 1.5-2 years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts