1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Aluminum in body panels is no longer as exotic as it once was. Many car companies are using it now and how to repair it is well known now in body shops. In 90+% of cases the damaged aluminum panels will just be discarded and brand new ones put on. However, use of aluminum in the body will likely raise the cost of damage repair somewhat over what it would cost with steel. Eventually this may lead to more insurance write offs than might happen if the car were of traditional steel and plastic.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Was reading an article on GM authority and it said Bolt will need special tools to repair because the hood, front fenders, doors, and liftgate outer are made of aluminum. I know the material is hard to paint in an average body shop, but I didn't know it would be harder to repair too.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/01/2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-will-require-special-attention-from-body-shops/
"Harder to repair" is open to interpretation. You mean "body repairs" because the powertrain and most other components will be simpler and easier to repar than in a normal steel body ICEV. Jus be sure your insurance covers all body repairs, and drive carefully in the Bolt EV.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Body shops will need to isolate the equipment that comes in contact with the aluminum from steel components as it will contaminate. Requires another full set of tools. Not all that big of a deal for the bigger shops as the Ford truck has been out for a while now as well as other exotics.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Isolating aluminum from steel has been known since the industry begun utilizing aluminum parts in general. It's already known that it causes corrosive reactions, so I really don't think it's much of an issue or surprise to anyone that has been in the industry for a decent amount of time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts