Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 332 Posts

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm surprised this has not been discussed here yet. It looks like some people are having success with getting GM to offer a buyback on their 17-19 Bolt since no final solution has been offered yet. So far, it seems like California owners are having success.

It seems like if you time it right, you could get a good buyout and turn around and pick up a deal on a 2020.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BoltEV/comments/l2raxb

·
Registered
494 Posts
I saw that; it was hard to tell if it was just one person, or maybe 2 or 3. Or whether being in Cali had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Make us an offer to upgrade to the new EUV with Ultium battery! :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hmmm. Maybe buybacks will be done on a "squeaky wheel" basis. Whoever accepts the 90% and never ends up complaining, fine. Otherwise, offer buy back options. (I wouldn't like that because I'm not the type to complain)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmm. Maybe buybacks will be done on a "squeaky wheel" basis. Whoever accepts the 90% and never ends up complaining, fine. Otherwise, offer buy back options. (I wouldn't like that because I'm not the type to complain)
It's easy to do this without confrontation. I did it via the chat feature for the Bolt concierge. They were delightful to work with and it was a simple interaction.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We got a "buyback" offer based on our interest in simply moving from our 2019 Bolt into a certified used 2020 Bolt. The offer was a terrible, no good, unacceptable deal with them asking us to pony up more than $12K to do the swap, so we told them to just fix our darn car. We did not, however, try to get them to simply cut us a check. Maybe we should have asked for that. (Oh, and we're not in California.)

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got a "buyback" offer based on our interest in simply moving from our 2019 Bolt into a certified used 2020 Bolt. The offer was a terrible, no good, unacceptable deal with them asking us to pony up more than $12K to do the swap, so we told them to just fix our darn car. We did not, however, try to get them to simply cut us a check. Maybe we should have asked for that. (Oh, and we're not in California.)
Was that through a dealer, or an official buyback offer through the Chevy EV Concierge?

I would not be surprised at all to see dealers take the recall as an opportunity to squeeze 17-19 owners for all they can get.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Was that through a dealer, or an official buyback offer through the Chevy EV Concierge?

I would not be surprised at all to see dealers take the recall as an opportunity to squeeze 17-19 owners for all they can get.
I went through the Chevy Bolt EV Concierge. In this case, the district management makes the decision if they want to offer a buyback and what that offer is. The dealership appears to only be the liaison that takes in the car.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I am under the impression that the 2022 Bolt EUV will not have the Ultium battery but the Hummer will. Am I wrong in this belief?
You are correct, though I think it's a mistake for GM to not offer an Ultium upgrade package at some point in the near future. Maybe not MY 2022, but definitely by MY 2023-2024 at the latest.

·
Registered
15 Posts
was this because you wanted a certified used car versus a different option? Trying to understand why you would have had to come out of pocket...

·
Registered
578 Posts
Where's the proof that this story is true? Why would someone get a check from GM for $28,000 on a vehicle with a street value of only $17,000 ... and with so little effort?

On the surface, this story makes no sense.

But - here's one possibility: maybe GM & LG kept meticulous records on which VIN # vehicles got which Lot # battery packs, and they know which vehicles are the highest risk for a fire (even if that risk involves the need to have Circumstances A, B, C, and D present to start the fire). So maybe they'd be willing to bribe owners out of these particular VIN # vehicles ... but only if the owners pressed them on it ... because the risk is actually very low to begin with, and the "window" for having a fire is closing by the day as they prepare to roll out their software changes to effectively eliminate the risk altogether?

Could that be it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think the story is legit, lots of others reporting the same, or getting offers. I don't think a guy would spend so much time to fake it. I'm not going to do a buyback(if offered in the future) since I need the car, and a new car would be more expensive. I do want to upgrade at some point. I hope GM will treat all customers the same. So if they don't fix the car then atleast give those who want to keep it a pay out that is similar value, either cash or GM points.

·
Registered
533 Posts
In a CARB state, I wouldn't be surprised if a buyback offer might be made attractive if the buyback is used to buy a new Bolt. CARB credits!

Reactions: drdiesel1

·
Registered
1 Posts
Where's the proof that this story is true? Why would someone get a check from GM for $28,000 on a vehicle with a street value of only $17,000 ... and with so little effort?

But - here's one possibility: maybe GM & LG kept meticulous records on which VIN # vehicles got which Lot # battery packs, and they know which vehicles are the highest risk for a fire (even if that risk involves the need to have Circumstances A, B, C, and D present to start the fire). So maybe they'd be willing to bribe owners out of these particular VIN # vehicles ... but only if the owners pressed them on it ... because the risk is actually very low to begin with, and the "window" for having a fire is closing by the day as they prepare to roll out their software changes to effectively eliminate the risk altogether?

Could that be it?
We're awaiting a call from GM today with an offer for a buyback of our 2017 Bolt. (We also have a 2020 Bolt.) It actually makes plenty of sense because the bottom line is that new battery packs and the install from their dealers is most likely going to cost 9k-10k per vehicle. No matter how GM is going to do this, they're going to be out that amount let alone the class action suits that are out there. My buddy is an attorney and he said it's very likely that at least one will make it through the process and make it extremely likely to be very expensive for GM. If you do buyback and waive the right to any legal action against the company, then at least GM has a tangible asset that after this clears up, they can put on the resale market. It seems pretty clear that the 90% max the permanent solution that avoids the fire issue, but it then gets into the class action situation of a buying not getting what they paid for and the simple fact that the range limitation may be critical to some owners.

With GM essentially betting the future on EVs, them paying a premium and trying to clean up this mess isn't a surprise. I'd assume the options will range from a buyback to battery replacement to cash compensation for the lack of range (if one opts to not get a battery replacement). The thing that I wonder about is logistics. Virtually every experience that I've had at a Chevy service department has been downright awful. The amount of time and labor to replace these packs on what's around 60k vehicles or so, how in the world can this be done in any quick or efficient way? Not likely at all there.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I took a look at the current 2020 Bolt local offers, and many of the Premier models I looked at offer a $8,500 cash allowance, but delivery must be made by Feb. 1. This allowance brings a loaded Bolt Premier down to about $35,000.

Some LTs are coming with $11,255 cash allowances, bringing them down to $28,000.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts

Could that be it?
GM also replaced a number of batteries because they wanted to run tests on the original battery that shipped with the car. If these cars are of interest to them, it might be cheaper to just buy it back whole rather than swapping out the old battery with a new battery for testing purposes.

·
Registered
106 Posts
was this because you wanted a certified used car versus a different option? Trying to understand why you would have had to come out of pocket...
They led us to believe they could give us a better deal if we went with a certified used 2020 Bolt vs. a brand new one. I hate to think how much they would have wanted if we'd asked them to price it out with a new 2020 replacement vs. the used one. Bottom line, it's clear they weren't serious wrt helping us swap our recalled-not-fixed 2019 unit for a non-recalled slightly newer 2020 unit. If we had simply asked for a buyback offer, maybe it would have been better? Who knows.

1 - 20 of 332 Posts