Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

181 - 200 of 231 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just an update for my situation with a 2017 Bolt LT purchased CPO in California in May 2020, with about 33K miles. It now has 50K (commuter car, drive about 400 to 500 miles per week). After initiating the process via chat about 3 weeks ago, and receiving three calls and an email from the California Service Team in the last week or two requesting documents (which I sent via email the same day), I received a letter yesterday saying, essentially, that "due to the issues you have been experiencing with your 2017 Bolt," GM will replace your Bolt with a "substantially similar vehicle." The letter goes on to say that, once I select a replacement vehicle, I would deliver clear title for my current Bolt to GM (GM Financial is the lienholder, so GM presumably already has the title). GM would then pay all sales tax and fees associated with the purchase of the replacement vehicle, but could deduct from that amount for any "usage" of my current Bolt. That formula is calculated by a formula in the letter (in my case, the deduction would be about 4K, by my calculations). The letter then said to call the California representative that I had already been speaking to accept the offer. GM would then provide me with the final numbers. I called and left a message yesterday.

I told the rep during an earlier conversation that I would probably be OK with a 2021 Bolt, but I would like to move up to the Premier. She said that may involve some cash down on my part, which was fine, since I currently drive an LT.

My local dealer is offering 2021 Premiers for about $30K. There's a 2020 Model 3 SR+ in Tesla's used inventory that they're listing for $33K. So I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
17 Bolt LT
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Sigh...if only someone would call back. My last contact with my advisor was 9 days ago. Each time I check back in, I am promised that an "urgent" callback request is being left for my advisor and the escalation team for California.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hyundai is replacing all the batteries. Something I think that GM should really consider.

·
Registered
117 Posts
For the folks that started the process with the Chat link from Post #23 or via a phone call:
  • what are some suggestions/strategies to get the process started?
  • How did you start out the chat?
  • Did you express your concerns about the safety of the car and the fact that they are now limiting the the performance of the vehicle?
  • Did you ask for a buyout offer or just general recourse options?
We previously leased a 2017 Bolt LT which was repurchased due to an ongoing issue with the battery pack, which affected range and charging capability. That repurchase was in November 2019. We leased a 2019 Bolt LT as the replacement. We have not wanted to buy the Bolt because technology is evolving so quickly that I don't want to be married to this thing. Plus, lease prices are so low that has been a no-brainer.

I finally decided to contact GM a week ago regarding the 2019 because, effectively, we're paying a monthly lease on a vehicle that, for over 3 months, has not been on par with the agreement we made with GM (i.e. we made a deal for a vehicle with a range of 238 miles, not 214). There is a defect with the car, which has not been resolved since the recall was issued on November 13th. The defect could lead to my car bursting into flames and taking out my house. We're clearly in lemon territory. If they had resolved the issue in a week, heck, in a month, I would not be pursuing this, but we're now going to exceed 10% of my full lease term with a vehicle that doesn't meet what I'm paying for.

I spoke to a customer service rep over chat. I stated that we were seeking compensation for the loss of range related to the recall. I stated that this issue has now affected us for over three months, and has altered the vehicle's specs relative to the deal we made with GM when we leased this Bolt. I also indicated that I was no satisfied with the liability represented by setting the charge limit to 90% without actually taking it in for the recall. The service rep opened up a case and provided me with the number. Stated I'd be called back in 24-48hrs.

Three days later I called to check-in and was told that the case was still being escalated. To expect a call in 1 to 2 business days.

On Monday I got a call at the end of the day. A very nice service rep who took down my concerns once again and asked that I send lease agreement, proof of payments and current registration in order to continue looking into the case. She stated that she'd be back in touch within a week at the latest, if anything to keep me posted. I sent the requested docs yesterday and here we are.

Not sure what they'll be proposing, but I'm not interested in a rental or replacement. I don't own the car, I lease it, so there's no incentive for me in choosing one of those two options. From my point of view financial compensation is the only acceptable possibility. With that said. I respect everyone's own take on the situation and appreciate that we won't all have the same view. The situation is very different if you lease vs. own or have owned for 1 year vs 4. Each one of us has to pursue (or not) what we think is fair.

·
Registered
9 Posts
After several weeks of attempting to get in touch with a senior advisor, I was finally able to speak with someone yesterday. The experience matched pretty well with what others were saying, standard responses, requested documents, etc. It was pointed out to me that I should expect to wait up to four weeks after submitting documents for a final decision. One other thing to note was that I was told that even though a potential fix is on the horizon, it would not affect decision on the buyback. I submitted all the requested docs today (heavily emphasized that they must be PDF format) and now begins the wait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in MA and just talked with the regional repurchase coordinator on Monday. Awaiting repurchase packet at this time for our 2017 Bolt Premier. We were given the option for MSRP-MSRP repurchase/trade and of course jumped at that option. It's supposed to be a 4-6 week process but of course we'll gladly wait!

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm in MA and just talked with the regional repurchase coordinator on Monday. Awaiting repurchase packet at this time for our 2017 Bolt Premier. We were given the option for MSRP-MSRP repurchase/trade and of course jumped at that option. It's supposed to be a 4-6 week process but of course we'll gladly wait!
Man, I'm not getting the traction others are. I'm in CA, and contacted the concierge through the chat 2 weeks ago, and was told I'd be contacted. Last Friday, I missed a call from my L2 rep, and they sent me an email with my SR #, and they provided me a callback number. I called back that Friday, and several times each day afterwards, but have only gotten the voice mail box for my L2 rep. No callbacks since the first call.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Man, I'm not getting the traction others are. I'm in CA, and contacted the concierge through the chat 2 weeks ago, and was told I'd be contacted. Last Friday, I missed a call from my L2 rep, and they sent me an email with my SR #, and they provided me a callback number. I called back that Friday, and several times each day afterwards, but have only gotten the voice mail box for my L2 rep. No callbacks since the first call.
I wouldn't get too frustrated, it's just a slow going process. Not sure if they hope that going slowly will reduce the customer's determination to obtain something, or if they're just overwhelmed with work. The rep who called me on Monday (first follow-up call after opening the SR via chat) indicated that she's based in Texas and they had been unable to respond for multiple days due to the storm and conditions down there, so that may be a factor as well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wouldn't get too frustrated, it's just a slow going process. Not sure if they hope that going slowly will reduce the customer's determination to obtain something, or if they're just overwhelmed with work. The rep who called me on Monday (first follow-up call after opening the SR via chat) indicated that she's based in Texas and they had been unable to respond for multiple days due to the storm and conditions down there, so that may be a factor as well.
This holds true for me as well working with a rep from Texas due to the storm conditions etc. So hang in there. I think my call back was delayed about a week and a half but she did get back to me earlier this week so I was able to send her information she needed. Hope it works out well for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
NH, bought new in MA, '17 LT, financed with GM Financial.

Called the Concierge number listed on the recall letter sent via mail late January (1/28 maybe). Asked when the fix was coming, complained when I was told they didn't know but it would eventually.

Got a call from a customer service monkey 2/4 asking to urgently speak to me about my buyback, please call her immediately. Since I didn't initiate a buyback I was a little alarmed. I called. No answer, left a voicemail. Tried again later. Same. Tried again later. Same. At this point I'm a little pissed she can be reached "any time" at this number, so I speed dial it repeatedly for an hour, occasionally leaving messages and occasionally just hanging up and dialing again.

Well THAT worked, CS monkey called me back a couple hours later in a tizzy that something was wrong. No, I just wanted to know what she was talking about. That's when she laid out that I'd been "escalated" to her to initiate a buyback. Ah, so there wasn't one yet...thanks for clearing that up. I didn't start one on this call, 2/4, I simply wanted a time frame for a real fix. She didn't know, but she'd find out and call me in 2 days.

It's 3 weeks later, but I'll say this, I have gotten a call EVERY 2 business days.

CS monkey (you'll see why I call her that soon) called 2/8 to say no update, and no update on when there'd be an update. Okay, I told her to start the buyback process. She said she'd pass it along to whoever she does that with. Got a call 2/10, no update, buyback proceeding. In the meantime, it's a bad idea to give me time, because I learn things...I now had questions. CS monkey said yes her job is to answer those. So I ask, things like, where can I surrender? Does it have to be at local dealer, dealer I buy at, what? What offers are on the table? Etc. She knew none of those, but promised she'd ask (around...somewhere) and get back to me. Later 2/10 she emails asking for the specific dealer(s) I was asking about. I sent the info for the 2 on the table. 2/12 she calls with some answers, which she also emailed that day, basically saying she didn't know much but that whoever she passed me on to would. Uh...okay, so basically she's the person they've hired for me to yell at while someone else does the work. Got it.

Later 2/12 I get an email asking for all the docs. Bill of sale, payoff statement (GM Financial...), original finance agreement (Uh...GM Financial...), copy of title (UH...GM Financial???), picture of odometer. Note I said picture.

Sent back within an hour. Got a reply email thanking me almost immediately, so that's nice.

Another call 2/16. No news.

An email 2/17 saying apologies, but they now ONLY ACCEPT PDFs due to fraud concerns. Please resubmit EVERYTHING as a PDF. Okay morons, I can play this game. Online converter - convert video, images, audio and documents for free, everything image goes to PDF, INCLUDING the picture of my odometer, because this is dumb. Literally within minutes of seeing the email. Replied to email saying I'd done it and complaining, also called and, you guessed it, voicemail, complaining.

2/18 she called apologizing, saying she got everything, etc. She was forwarding all the docs to whoever does the actual work and she'd call again with news or in 2 days...

Here's where nothing really changes.

2/22 call from a NEW SENIOR CS monkey. She introduces herself, does much of the same spiel, and almost starts the process over again...to which I replied I did this with the other one, here's where things are, etc. She looks at her notes and says, oh, yes, you were working with her, we have all your docs, okay. So, I'll call again in 2 days...sigh

In the meantime, it seems PDF converted images are just fine with them, so anyone confused just...convert them...

On the bright side, new SENIOR (she was very careful to always say this) CS monkey knows at least a little of what's happening. They are SLAMMED. They pulled in everyone from normal process teams to form a special Bolt team, and had to train them all up on EVs. I've had several very long conversations now, by which I mean I'm listening while the CS monkey talks for 20 minutes about how she's now thinking about an EV and how much work they're doing and how the engineers are working around the clock...K. I mean, I don't believe her, but okay. Also they might not be so slammed if they just did their jobs, but it increasingly sounds like her job is also to be the person I yell at while someone else does the work, even if she's a SENIOR CS monkey.

Anyway, the only point of information I learned, basically 2/8, was that they were following state lemon laws, so in the meantime I figure out what I should be offered. Original CS monkey thought there'd be 3 options, including MSRP swap and straight cash buy (and loaner, although loaner could be had concurrent with either, but she wasn't sure; I didn't push as I didn't want). MSRP to MSRP would be best if I can't find any good deals, but there's a dealer 160 miles from me where they're selling 2021 LTs for $21K...which is about $7k less than what I expect them to offer based on NH lemon laws...or MA lemon laws...it's not clear whose would be in play to me, if anyone knows?

No number yet. Latest update 2/24 is that it could take 4 weeks to come back with a number. Assuming the lemon law number I calculate or close, I'm going to the dealer 160 miles away and taking the $7k cash essentially. Of course I'd take a battery swap, but I don't think I'll be happy with a software monitor given the Kona announcement.

I'm due a call this afternoon/evening. They've never missed one; every 2 days so far.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good news. We pick up our 2021 Bolt in the morning. GM completed the paperwork and forwarded to the dealership.
Hi -- I finally got a call from a rep today to follow up and sent the requested info.

I am interested in the MSRP to MSRP. A few questions if I may?

Did you have any out of pocket expense at all?
You are in California?
Did they match the features you had on your 2017 bolt? I have a loaded 2019 premiere.

Thanks in advance! Enjoy your new ride!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good news. We pick up our 2021 Bolt in the morning. GM completed the paperwork and forwarded to the dealership.
I have a question about MSRP to MSRP. I’m on California and I have a 2018 Bolt Premier. I’m interested in trading for the 2021 Bolt Premier. The MSRP is about the same, but for the 2021 the dealership has offers for loyalty -$8k) etc. My usage fee for my 2018 is about $5700.
1) Does that mean that as the MSRP’s are the same, I will be out of pocket about $5700?
2) Do the dealers not allow any incentives such as the $8k loyalty offer, even though this trade would be my 3rd Chevy vehicle?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi -- I finally got a call from a rep today to follow up and sent the requested info.

You are in California?
Did they match the features you had on your 2017 bolt? I have a loaded 2019 premiere.

We only had to pay the difference in MSRP’s. In our case, that was $275.

·
Registered
10 Posts

You are in California?

Only the price difference in MSRP. The 2021 Bolt we chose was $275 more that the MSRP of our 2017. Both models were Premiers. We have all of the features plus any upgrades that were available for the 2021. We are in Maryland.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a question about MSRP to MSRP. I’m on California and I have a 2018 Bolt Premier. I’m interested in trading for the 2021 Bolt Premier. The MSRP is about the same, but for the 2021 the dealership has offers for loyalty -$8k) etc. My usage fee for my 2018 is about $5700.
1) Does that mean that as the MSRP’s are the same, I will be out of pocket about $5700?
2) Do the dealers not allow any incentives such as the $8k loyalty offer, even though this trade would be my 3rd Chevy vehicle?
[/QUOTE
Depending upon the lemon laws in your state and the offer made by GM, if it is a straight up MSRP to MSRP, we were not charged anything above the difference. In our case, the the difference was $275. That’s all we paid plus the warranties we selected.
By accepting the MSRP to MSRP we were not eligible for any incentives. It’s right in the offer they send you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only the price difference in MSRP. The 2021 Bolt we chose was $275 more that the MSRP of our 2017. Both models were Premiers. We have all of the features plus any upgrades that were available for the 2021. We are in Maryland.
Thank you for that info, but I am still confused. How does the use fee based on the lemon law of your state factor in.

181 - 200 of 231 Posts