Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

201 - 220 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
NH, bought new in MA, ....but there's a dealer 160 miles from me where they're selling 2021 LTs for $21K...which is about $7k less than what I expect them to offer based on NH lemon laws
Hey Bob .... make sure you bring those “8 Gods” with you to close that deal on the 2021 because there’s very little chance chance that $21k price is real (even if it’s a “strippo” LT)!

Check the fine print. Look out for the following:

1.) Outrageously high doc/proc fee that’s not included in the advertised price
2.) Destination charge removed from advertised price
3.) Advertised price includes you basically handing over a used vehicle for half (or less) of its actual value
4.) Deductions you won’t qualify for or discounts you can’t add together.

Any option packages on these things?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Only the price difference in MSRP. The 2021 Bolt we chose was $275 more that the MSRP of our 2017. Both models were Premiers. We have all of the features plus any upgrades that were available for the 2021. We are in Maryland.
So, does it look like a purchase? Suppose the GREEN act had passed already, would you be able to take the tax credit?

·
Registered
160 Posts
So, does it look like a purchase? Suppose the GREEN act had passed already, would you be able to take the tax credit?
Green act is going to bite several of us involved in the recall and dealing with buybacks of our Bolts. Anyone purchasing an EV in the next couple of months will basically be "forfeiting" what is quasi guaranteed to be an extension of the EV tax credit, increasing the numbers on which it applies for Tesla or GM. Note that the only certain thing is that the credit will NOT be retroactive. Buy tomorrow, Green Act passes June 1st giving GM or Tesla 200K more credits and "you'll" be left holding the bag on spending $7K more than anyone purchasing their car from that point forward. Going to sting adjusting for that when reselling the car in a few years.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Bought my Bolt a month ago, $21K for an LT doesn't seem that far off from prices I saw. I didn't wait for some politically promised tax credit. If a tax credit passes I seriously doubt the prices we are seeing will exist. At the end of the day the price will rise due to increase in demand with the tax credit therefore prices will be where they are today or higher. I got a very good deal, love my Bolt and not looking back.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Green act is going to bite several of us involved in the recall and dealing with buybacks of our Bolts. Anyone purchasing an EV in the next couple of months will basically be "forfeiting" what is quasi guaranteed to be an extension of the EV tax credit, increasing the numbers on which it applies for Tesla or GM. Note that the only certain thing is that the credit will NOT be retroactive. Buy tomorrow, Green Act passes June 1st giving GM or Tesla 200K more credits and "you'll" be left holding the bag on spending $7K more than anyone purchasing their car from that point forward. Going to sting adjusting for that when reselling the car in a few years.
All that is understood, and wasn't my question. I asked about if the GREEN act had already been passed. A number of folks are only at the start of the process (and some may not have started yet), which seems to take at least 4 weeks, potentially longer. Sure, manufacturers (mostly Tesla because their pricing is so fluid) might raise their prices on passage of the GREEN act, but it still might make a difference for someone in the (future) position of considering some sort of trade against a clear repurchase. There are a fair number of people who coudn't take direct advantage of previous incentives because they didn't have the requisite tax burden to offset with the credit, or were limited by means tests. It's not clear what proportion of the people getting buybacks or trades would benefit if GREEN was in effect today.

Theoretical? Yes. Are there tons of other variables? Yep. I was mostly interested in what one of these repurchases/trade-ins looked like from a financial perspective.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have a question about MSRP to MSRP. I’m on California and I have a 2018 Bolt Premier. I’m interested in trading for the 2021 Bolt Premier. The MSRP is about the same, but for the 2021 the dealership has offers for loyalty -$8k) etc. My usage fee for my 2018 is about $5700.
1) Does that mean that as the MSRP’s are the same, I will be out of pocket about $5700?
2) Do the dealers not allow any incentives such as the $8k loyalty offer, even though this trade would be my 3rd Chevy vehicle?
We took the cash buyback offer. Then purchased a 2021 "identical" to our 2019 and had money left over. We had paid almost MSRP for our 2019, buy got over $14k off on the 2021. This covered the usage fee. I have no idea how you would fair. But check the out the door prices at you dealers. By "identical," it had all the same options, color, etc. But it had the larger battery pack, new rear view mirror camera, new tires, etc. The only car I have ever driven for over 2 years and made money on.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thank you for that info, but I am still confused. How does the use fee based on the lemon law of your state factor in.
Each state has its own lemon law. In Arizona they have to refund the full purchase price, including tax, license, fees, etc.) less a fair charge for usuage. We were charage about 42 cents per mile.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We took the cash buyback offer. Then purchased a 2021 "identical" to our 2019 and had money left over. We had paid almost MSRP for our 2019, buy got over $14k off on the 2021. This covered the usage fee. I have no idea how you would fair. But check the out the door prices at you dealers. By "identical," it had all the same options, color, etc. But it had the larger battery pack, new rear view mirror camera, new tires, etc. The only car I have ever driven for over 2 years and made money on.
They must have a different formula for pre-owned buybacks, because my offer in NJ was nowhere near as sweet

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
They must have a different formula for pre-owned buybacks, because my offer in NJ was nowhere near as sweet

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
@Cav1982 I'm also in NJ. And also bought my Bolt used.
Can you answer a few questions please if you don't mind:
1 Price you paid for your car & price they offered.
2 Was the price dependent on if you were getting another Bolt?
3 If you took the offer - did you get another Bolt or another EV?
4 If you got a Bolt; which dealer?
5 How long did the whole process take?
6 Year of you car and mileage.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone done an MSRP swap for another GM vehicle? I'm looking to go that route and waiting for the numbers from the buyback team. They have only told me verbally that I can take the MSRP from the window sticker from the Bolt and take that off any new GM vehicle. They have lots of incentives and rebates now so wondering if I pick a higher priced vehicle if I can use some of these cash back offers to lower my out of pocket. The dealer that agreed to work with GM and I for the swap said the dealer takes the Bolt and provides me with the MSRP credit and GM then sends them the MSRP amount to buy the Bolt from the dealer. If I can work it out with the dealer to do the paperwork to be able to apply the cashback offers that would be awesome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Each state has its own lemon law. In Arizona they have to refund the full purchase price, including tax, license, fees, etc.) less a fair charge for usuage. We were charage about 42 cents per mile.
In AZ and awaiting a 2018 buyback offer but with 42000 miles and .42 a mile and a 25k loan left on the vehicle, I may not see much. Paid $42k w/ttl after $2500 rebate. Can you share more details on your outcome or recommendations on your 2021 dealership deal?

·
Registered
573 Posts
In AZ and awaiting a 2018 buyback offer but with 42000 miles and .42 a mile and a 25k loan left on the vehicle, I may not see much. Paid $42k w/ttl after $2500 rebate. Can you share more details on your outcome or recommendations on your 2021 dealership deal?
So you're only going to "see" about $2,000 ... or about $26k-$27k would roll into your 2021 purchase? That should be pretty close to a Premier price, no?

·
Registered
253 Posts
And if you're in a 2018 did you factor in the federal rebate too?

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Has anyone in Northern California had successful contact about a buyback from Chevrolet and if so, what dealer?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am in Tucson, so I went to Watson Chevrolet as they had the best price and one that matched the color, etc. that we wanted. They are still showing the February discounts. A fully loaded 2021 Premier at $28,388 - that is $15,447 off MSRP. I have no idea what the price will be tomorrow. I think your offer would be about $24.3k. Not quite enough to pay off your loan. :( But 43 cents a mile charge for a car is a good deal. 😀

·
Registered
53 Posts
@Cav1982 I'm also in NJ. And also bought my Bolt used.
Can you answer a few questions please if you don't mind:
1 Price you paid for your car & price they offered.
2 Was the price dependent on if you were getting another Bolt?
3 If you took the offer - did you get another Bolt or another EV?
4 If you got a Bolt; which dealer?
5 How long did the whole process take?
6 Year of you car and mileage.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
I'm pretty early in the buyback process, so don't have the finalized offer yet. Will update once I do. Find myself in a bind in NJ right now since the EV rebate program is on hold until the next fiscal year (July/August), at which point it becomes a point-of-sale rebate. That's great because it takes the $5k off the price at the time of purchase. Unfortunately any EVs bought in the interim won't qualify for the rebate at all.

201 - 220 of 330 Posts