Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

221 - 240 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
You have to start the process by calling the EV Concierge number or through the GM customer service chat on the Chevrolet website. You have to pass the first step, which is not accepting the temporary or proposed software fix. Then your case will be assigned to an advisor on the California team. They will ask if you have a preferred dealer to work with.
You will not be obligated to necessary complete a new car transaction with that dealer, but they do the final process of the buyback.

You cannot initiate a buyback via a dealer...although its possible your selling dealer might help walk you through it.

I started the process on 2/9 and have sent in my documentation PDFs. My next scheduled contact with my agent is tomorrow.

Has anyone in Northern California had successful contact about a buyback from Chevrolet and if so, what dealer?

·
Registered
160 Posts
You have to pass the first step, which is not accepting the temporary or proposed software fix.
I don't believe this is a criteria. Lemon laws are what GM is basing the buybacks on. CA lemon laws say the manufacturer gets a certain number of attempts to fix the issue. The other criteria is time in the shop. But our issue isn't fixed even if applying the software limitation. To the contrary, the limit is set in stone until GM is able to do something concrete about it, which they haven't in over 3 months, and time is ticking against them. Additionally going in to the dealership to perform the recall sets the date and mileage that will be used to calculate the usage fee on a buyback (since, as you know, they use the mileage on the date you first take the vehicle in for the issue at hand). Wish I'd have thought of that back in November when I thought this would be fixed quickly.

I'll also reiterate what I've said in other posts. I believe that not having the current recall performed opens you up to liability if anything fire wise were to happen with the car. You are fully aware of the fire risk but haven't taken it in to be addressed by the manufacturer. If your house burns down (which I certainly hope it does not!!) it'll be a very interesting conversation with your insurer.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT - Gunmetal Gray
57 Posts
Are buybacks for customers who purchased new GM vehicles directly, or used buyers too?

IE, I purchased a used 2017 Bolt. How do I get my buyback offer?

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Are buybacks for customers who purchased new GM vehicles directly, or used buyers too?

Live in a state with strong lemon laws. Oh, you live in California. That will definitely work. See first post.

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Things moved one more step along the road today. I was asked to visit a dealer and select a vehicle for a potential trade up. I didn't bother with a visit, just a phone call as they are 70 miles away. The best I can figure, I stand to get back around 18.5k for my used '17 after mileage deduction. With the newly announced Costco rebates, I can probably trade to a comparable '20 for about $4k. That is a number I could work with to get a new Bolt with 2 miles on it and all new warranties. California - Used Bolt Buyback initiated 2/9

·
Registered
8 Posts
Things moved one more step along the road today. I was asked to visit a dealer and select a vehicle for a potential trade up. I didn't bother with a visit, just a phone call as they are 70 miles away. The best I can figure, I stand to get back around 18.5k for my used '17 after mileage deduction. With the newly announced Costco rebates, I can probably trade to a comparable '20 for about $4k. That is a number I could work with to get a new Bolt with 2 miles on it and all new warranties. California - Used Bolt Buyback initiated 2/9
The Costco rebate doesn't apply to a MSRP to MSRP swap

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
FYI, if you are doing the actual MSRP swap, you will be eligible for no incentives on the new car. It's a straight MSRP to MSRP deal.
If you are handling your Bolt buyback and new purchase separately, then your plan will work.

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
The MSRP to MSRP swap is not available if you bought your Bolt used, at least in CA. So my option is to go straight buyback, which I would do if I were going to choose a different EV. Since I'm planning on moving to a newer Bolt, I'll see just how motivated the dealer is to move one of their ten 2020's in stock.

FYI, if you are doing the actual MSRP swap, you will be eligible for no incentives on the new car. It's a straight MSRP to MSRP deal.
If you are handling your Bolt buyback and new purchase separately, then your plan will work.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The MSRP to MSRP swap is not available if you bought your Bolt used, at least in CA. So my option is to go straight buyback, which I would do if I were going to choose a different EV. Since I'm planning on moving to a newer Bolt, I'll see just how motivated the dealer is to move one of their ten 2020's in stock.
I have a’17 purchased used in CA, and I am about a week into a buyback request.

Were you told by GM that MSRP to MSRP was not available to you because you bought used?
Also, did you purchase your used Bolt from a GM dealership or a non-dealership?

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Anyone in Michigan going through this process?

I bought my 2017 in Feb 2017 from a dealership in VA (they weren’t for sale in MI yet). I just bought a second Bolt EV Premier three weeks ago locally. The local dealer has no idea about any buyback program. Way back when, there weren’t any deals on Bolts so i paid MSRP. I have finished paying off the 2017 and was going to sell it for KBB value to my brother in NC. A friend who’s a GM engineer asked me “Are you selling your Bolt back to GM?”......now what?

Dayle

·
Registered
23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
I have a’17 purchased used in CA, and I am about a week into a buyback request.

Were you told by GM that MSRP to MSRP was not available to you because you bought used?
Also, did you purchase your used Bolt from a GM dealership or a non-dealership?

Thanks!
Yes, I had heard that via the interwebs first. It was verified by the GM rep currently handling my case. It makes sense that since I got a screamin' deal on '17 that I should not expect to move to a '20 without some cost. Mine was purchased in Sept 2020 CPO from a Chevy dealer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I started the process about a week ago. The wife took me to test drive a Tesla Y. You know I thought I would never get a Tesla and going in there I was expecting a car that was overpriced and over hyped. What I drove literally knocked my socks off. I want a Y. I have enjoyed the Bolt but the fear of fire and having lost 70% of its value in 3.5 years has now turned me off. Hopefully GM does the right thing and treats me fairly.
Okay, I figured out your formula. (120,000 - mileage) * (purchase price / 120,000)

In the case of my 2017 Bolt Premier, the cash price was $44,963, and I have 58,000 miles, so the formula indicates the buy back would be $23,230. This is better than the current post-recall $9,800 KBB trade in value.
Do you suppose it matters whether you bought the car new for these buyback offers? I happened to buy my Bolt Premier second hand.

·
Registered
86 Posts
After reading a lot of messages on the board, I decided to start my buyback process today from here in California. It sounds like I am now being assigned a Rep from GM and I contacted a local dealer to help me through the process as well. I'm going to request a MSRP to MSRP swap. The complicating issue is that I'm financing, so I'll have to end up doing some finagling with GM Financial before all is said and done. I'm looking to get a 2021 Lt with all the packages from my 2018 Lt. Let the paperwork begin!

·
Registered
79 Posts
We have a 2017 Bolt with approximately 46K mileage Bought new. I contacted GM 1/28/2021. Submitted requested paperwork. The agent called us faithfully every other day and kept us informed of the process. On 2/2/2021, she called and advised of the options: (1) Long-Term rental NO; (2) MSRP to MSRP YES; (3) repurchase NO. On 2/4/2021, she asked for the VIN of the vehicle we were interested in. We chose a 2021 Bolt. On 2/10/2021, we were advised we had to go to the dealership to “put our hands” on the vehicle and confirm it was the one we selected. On 2/12/2021, we reported back that we had done that. We were turned over to a Repurchase Coordinator. On 2/15/2021, he reached out and requested documents. Several emails later, he confirmed he had everything he needed to put the offer together (many of the documents we had to send more than once, then, he confirmed he already had them. (LOL). On 2/19/2021, we received the final repurchase offer and immediately signed and returned. He advised us that it would be about a week until we can pick up the new 2021 Bolt. I don’t want to jinx the offer, but, once it is complete, I will update the response.
What was the financial hit or benefit?

·
Registered
79 Posts

I'm in the same boat, buying a used 2017 Bolt. A number of people have posed the same question, but NO ONE has answered the question. Surely someone here has tried to get a buyback with a used Bolt and has either gotten a good offer or a bad offer. Deafening silence.

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
I think I said something in post #225. In CA, I am being offered basically a refund of what I paid for the car plus tax, license and fees. From that, they deduct for the miles between when I bought the car and when I first called in on 2/9 at roughly .35 per mile. Whether you take that as a refund or want to work with a dealer toward a new Bolt is up to you.

I'm in the same boat, buying a used 2017 Bolt. A number of people have posed the same question, but NO ONE has answered the question. Surely someone here has tried to get a buyback with a used Bolt and has either gotten a good offer or a bad offer. Deafening silence.

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
^ Except that elasticmedia said they bought a used 17 Bolt, so the MSRP to MSRP swap is not available.

221 - 240 of 330 Posts