Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

621 - 640 of 650 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
Joined
·
95 Posts
16 days later (today)I just heard from "Sarah" the person assigned to my case. She said it was still being reviewed and that no decision had been made. Says that she will contact me next week. Still rolling along.
Everyone else I talked to about buying back their 2017 thru 2019 bolt was told by GM that the buyback was over
A fix had been found and once the affected car was repaired, GM put it in the system as fixed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Everyone else I talked to about buying back their 2017 thru 2019 bolt was told by GM that the buyback was over
A fix had been found and once the affected car was repaired, GM put it in the system as fixed
No. Buybacks are still on. You can do an MSRP swap or make a cash deal for your Bolt. It isn't automatic and takes time with the bureaucracy.

My impression is they would like to buy back all recalled Bolts. Maybe change the batteries.

Has anyone been refused a buyback on a recalled Bolt?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Hello, thanks everyone for all the information posted. It has been very informative reading fellow Bolt owners experiences. . Im very glad people have taken the time to share.
I was denied a swap/buy back today, I have a 2018 Bolt with approx. 32k miles on it and I am from Southern California. The advisor was very kind and kept me in the loop. Started the process June 4th, and she updated me two days after and finally today to say that my car was not eligible. I had the done the software update a few hours before I called last Friday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
No. Buybacks are still on. You can do an MSRP swap or make a cash deal for your Bolt. It isn't automatic and takes time with the bureaucracy.

My impression is they would like to buy back all recalled Bolts. Maybe change the batteries.

Has anyone been refused a buyback on a recalled Bolt?
My friend was also denied a buyback on their 2018 Bolt in SoCal. I think the party is finally over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,372 Posts
My friend was also denied a buyback on their 2018 Bolt in SoCal. I think the party is finally over.
Well, if there is a problem and it gets detected before the battery warranty expires, you'd get replacement pack(s) and I think that's a good thing for keeping the Bolt long term.

Nissan Leaf battery replacement was worthless because an owner in AZ would just keep having the pack degrade after a couple of summers - not really a solution IMHO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
for everyone else here who got an offer, did you get both an electronic and physical copy? my agent told me that they only send a physical offer letter so I should be keeping an eye out for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
16 days later (today)I just heard from "Sarah" the person assigned to my case. She said it was still being reviewed and that no decision had been made. Says that she will contact me next week. Still rolling along.
How many total days since you first got your SR number? Seems 60 is about it....I pushed it - alot - and got the check on day 61. Sigh.
 

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
Joined
·
95 Posts
Everyone else I talked to about buying back their 2017 thru 2019 bolt was told by GM that the buyback was over
A fix had been found and once the affected car was repaired, GM put it in the system as fixed
Everyone else I talked to about buying back their 2017 thru 2019 bolt was told by GM that the buyback was over
A fix had been found and once the affected car was repaired, GM put it in the system as fixed
Macnerd also said that he turned down the fix and just wanted the buyback
GM is probably talking to the legal team to see what the options on the refusal for fix is
Macnerd I'm sure won't like GM's final decision
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
for everyone else here who got an offer, did you get both an electronic and physical copy? my agent told me that they only send a physical offer letter so I should be keeping an eye out for that.
I got my offer letter in an email on June 10th, two days ago. I signed it and stuck it in a PDF file and emailed it back. I'm waiting for the receiving dealer to set up a time to return the car. Don't know why that agent would tell you that unless there is something in your state's lemon law.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
It's an enigma as to who gets approved and who gets denied. No doubt that the final fix solution release played an important factor in GM's decision. Lemon laws would also have to have been a factor though there are buybacks in states with extremely weak lemon laws. Or maybe GM really has a master list of affected vehicles with high likelihood of battery fire? Did GM ever voluntary send out repurchase/MSRP swap offers without the owner first initiating such action?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
I got my offer letter in an email on June 10th, two days ago. I signed it and stuck it in a PDF file and emailed it back. I'm waiting for the receiving dealer to set up a time to return the car. Don't know why that agent would tell you that unless there is something in your state's lemon law.
I just got mine too, and all things said and done, I'd be out of pocket $10k to get a 21 Bolt EV. I'm in WA state and it doesn't feel like a good deal to me. I essentially paid $10k for 4-years of Bolt ownership and for a new 3 years of bumper-bumper warranty.

Think I should pull the trigger?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I just got mine too, and all things said and done, I'd be out of pocket $10k to get a 21 Bolt EV. I'm in WA state and it doesn't feel like a good deal to me. I essentially paid $10k for 4-years of Bolt ownership and for a new 3 years of bumper-bumper warranty.

Think I should pull the trigger?
I'm also in WA State. I'm still waiting for my trade in offer. Did they offer up a 2022 EV our EUV? +10K for a 2021....not sure if I personally would take that deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
$10k was for a buyback. MSRP swap to another Bolt or even a 2022 model would've been too costly due to my WA lemon laws and the usage deduction. GM didn't waive the usage deduction for a swap.
 

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
Joined
·
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #635 ·
I just got mine too, and all things said and done, I'd be out of pocket $10k to get a 21 Bolt EV. I'm in WA state and it doesn't feel like a good deal to me. I essentially paid $10k for 4-years of Bolt ownership and for a new 3 years of bumper-bumper warranty.

Think I should pull the trigger?
When I did a buyback swap on the last day of March, my cost to go from 2017 with 30k miles to a brand new 2020, with additional features was $4000. When CA get me the last rebate check it will be down to $2000.

A 2021 would have cost $1000 more at the time...but supplies are a lot more constrained now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
don't forget to check if you can use your Costco rebate, $3000, for your 2021 Bolt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
That's what I was hoping for, spending only $2-4k more to upgrade, but you're right. Inventory around me literally disappeared. My buyback offer followed WA lemon laws so given my 50k miles, it was for $19k. Could've been much worse if it weren't for the pandemic, could've had 65k miles on my Bolt.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Costco membership and can't use the rebate. At $10k, I'm seriously debating keeping my 2017 Bolt and hoping it doesn't catch on fire after the final fix. I really do like it but darn is Chevy making it hard with a final fix that either honks your horn before catching on fire or just bricks your Bolt so you have to have it towed to the dealership for repair. Knowing the battery packs are flawed in their manufacture, it's essentially a ticking time bomb even if I have 6 more years on my powertrain warranty (I'll never hit the 100k miles now).

Then again, with the new WFH wokeness, I probably can get away with owning an ICE again with the $19k Chevy is offering me. I'd really like to stick with the Bolt, though.

I must be a sucker, though. The 2017 Volt I had w/ICE engine misfire/popping only got me a measely $500 gift card from GM. Now, here I am again with Bolt that might catch fire down the road, likely will be bricked. Question is: when will it do this and will it be a warranty repair or will I pay for it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Am back looking for a keyfob but saw this thread and had to comment. Chevy bought back my 2017 Bolt for more than market value (love CA lemon law) and I bought another exactly same Bolt but 2019 built after they had switched battery vendor. 2 years newer, way less mileage the entire trade cost me about 500 bucks, So it really worked out well for me, I posted the whole story somewhere on this forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
That's what I was hoping for, spending only $2-4k more to upgrade, but you're right. Inventory around me literally disappeared. My buyback offer followed WA lemon laws so given my 50k miles, it was for $19k. Could've been much worse if it weren't for the pandemic, could've had 65k miles on my Bolt.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Costco membership and can't use the rebate. At $10k, I'm seriously debating keeping my 2017 Bolt and hoping it doesn't catch on fire after the final fix. I really do like it but darn is Chevy making it hard with a final fix that either honks your horn before catching on fire or just bricks your Bolt so you have to have it towed to the dealership for repair. Knowing the battery packs are flawed in their manufacture, it's essentially a ticking time bomb even if I have 6 more years on my powertrain warranty (I'll never hit the 100k miles now).

Then again, with the new WFH wokeness, I probably can get away with owning an ICE again with the $19k Chevy is offering me. I'd really like to stick with the Bolt, though.

I must be a sucker, though. The 2017 Volt I had w/ICE engine misfire/popping only got me a measely $500 gift card from GM. Now, here I am again with Bolt that might catch fire down the road, likely will be bricked. Question is: when will it do this and will it be a warranty repair or will I pay for it?
Thanks. My trade offer is probably gonna suck. I have a 2018 Premiere with about 30K miles. I might just keep the 2018 and wait it out a couple of years till the EUV is massively discounted or till another EV comes along that makes me wanna spend MSRP pricing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
I'd hold out and see what GM offers. It's all based on MSRP for that usage fee so assuming your 2018 Bolt MSRP was $40k, your usage fee would be roughly $10k. For my 1027 Bolt, MSRP was $34k so usage fee was $14k, so my offer was $34k - $14k = $20k (rounding). I'd be curious on what GM offers you.

What you do will depend on how much you paid out of pocket for your 2018 vs how much you pay now to trade up. Was the money you sank into your 2018 worth it? Does the extra out of pocket now to trade up deter you from sticking with GM? Does the final fix sit well with you?

I've wavered back to maybe going ahead with it after perusing online deals for out-of-state used/new Bolts. The extra shipping hassle and sight-unseen has me considering taking the offer. Haven't shopped for cheap beater vehicle however and holding out a different, non-GM EV though. Maybe the Ford Lightening will have a ton of used versions due to truck buyers with buyer's remorse or unfamiliar with EV lifestyle.
 
621 - 640 of 650 Posts
Top