Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
741 - 760 of 856 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Paid it off a couple months ago. Didn’t realize they would pay the interest on the load? What the best way to get that info? A final statement of some sorts? Thx for the info.
After you paid off the loan, the DMV should have sent you the TITLE for the old Bolt. Make sure you have it and does not show any liens on it, you own it outright.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Once you get the process started, you're eventually going to need to get the TITLE for your old vehicle. Make sure you work with your car loan bank and the DMV to get it. I paid off the loan and that made things easier. For the straight buy back, make sure you have records of all your car loan payments because they will pay for the interest on your car loan.
Just an FYI, you don't need a free and clear title. If you still owe money on a loan, GM will simply deduct your loan balance from your buyback amount.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I guess I'm lucky. I found a dealer willing to put my name on a Launch Edition EUV for a MSRP trade I was approved for. No convincing or arm twisting from GM needed.
Of course still need to complete the process, but the dealer already submitted the VIN to Chevy.
Approved for a MSRP trade for $43,905 swap credit. The EUV the dealer submitted has a MSRP of $43,890. I'll let go of the unused $15. ;)
Whats your secret in finding that dealer?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Thanks to everyone who took time to post their experiences here. Any thoughts on what to expect this late in the game with the “final fix” being released? I’m hoping I can still get a fair offer. Not overly thrilled with the final fix. I have a 2017 LT with 47,200 miles. Thx
You're in CA so you should have better Lemon Laws than me (WA). Same usage formula though, so assuming your MSRP less any rebates is $35k your usage fee is (MSRP * miles)/120kMi = ($35 * 47)/120 = $13.7k, so MSRP - usage is $22.3k buyback offer. That's assuming GM is still doing buy backs after the "final fix".
I guess I'm lucky. I found a dealer willing to put my name on a Launch Edition EUV for a MSRP trade I was approved for. No convincing or arm twisting from GM needed.
Of course still need to complete the process, but the dealer already submitted the VIN to Chevy.
Approved for a MSRP trade for $43,905 swap credit. The EUV the dealer submitted has a MSRP of $43,890. I'll let go of the unused $15. ;)
Your MSRP swap deal is amazing. My buy back coordinator said the swap would still require me to pay the usage fee. So there was no way I was getting into a new 2020/2021/2022 Bolt without more than $10k out-of-pocket. Had I started this process earlier before the ramp up in 2020/2021 prices, I might've gone through with a buyback.

·
Registered
52 Posts
You're in CA so you should have better Lemon Laws than me (WA). Same usage formula though, so assuming your MSRP less any rebates is $35k your usage fee is (MSRP * miles)/120kMi = ($35 * 47)/120 = $13.7k, so MSRP - usage is $22.3k buyback offer. That's assuming GM is still doing buy backs after the "final fix".

Your MSRP swap deal is amazing. My buy back coordinator said the swap would still require me to pay the usage fee. So there was no way I was getting into a new 2020/2021/2022 Bolt without more than $10k out-of-pocket. Had I started this process earlier before the ramp up in 2020/2021 prices, I might've gone through with a buyback.
Still a lil confused about the difference Pro/Cons between buyback and MSRP swap. What did you end up doing?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Still a lil confused about the difference Pro/Cons between buyback and MSRP swap. What did you end up doing?
Based on feedback here and the fact I'd need $10k out of pocket to get into a new 2021 Bolt or the $15+ usage fee for an MSRP swap, I declined the buyback. I'm now shopping for longer EVSE cables so I can charge my Bolt far away from my house.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Based on feedback here and the fact I'd need $10k out of pocket to get into a new 2021 Bolt or the $15+ usage fee for an MSRP swap, I declined the buyback. I'm now shopping for longer EVSE cables so I can charge my Bolt far away from my house.
It’s ridiculous that you would have to do that. I live up in the mountains. One fire can literally burn the town off the map. Just take note of the out of control homeowners insurance. I told the advisor as much when I spoke with her Monday. The usage fee is a joke IMO. It’s not our fault after all. Most of us would be perfectly happy keeping our Bolts with an acceptable fix. At most I would say we could pay tax/lic on the swap. I wonder if threatening a small claims suit on the usage fee would make a difference? In CA I believe 10k is the maximum. About what the fee would be..

·
Registered
693 Posts
The usage fee is a joke IMO. It’s not our fault after all. Most of us would be prefer happy keeping our Bolts with an acceptable fix. At most I would say we could pay tax/lic on the swap. I wonder if threatening a small claims suit on the usage fee would make a difference?
Are you saying the usage fee is too high, or that you think there shouldn’t be a usage fee at all?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Not sure where on the thread I read this, but in a buyback (at least CA where I did mine), what you get is what YOU paid for the car (see your DMV notice that you paid TTL on), minus usage fees, plus an interest you paid. MSRP is not relevant...only what you paid for the car, that includes TTL. When you buy a new car, presuming Bolt, you do have to pay TTL. Dealers like buybacks because it's a new car sale. Swaps they don't like; not a new car sale.

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Dealers like buybacks because it's a new car sale. Swaps they don't like; not a new car sale.
That's why I was so surprised the dealer I contacted was so willing to put my name on their Launch Edition EUV they had on order. When I thanked them for being willing to work with me on my MSRP swap, the sales manager went "You don't have to thank us that much, we make out on this deal too". When I commented that other dealers were allergic to working with me, he said "They just don't know how to work the system like us". shruggie guy

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
I still don't want to 100% believe it until I actually make the swap and it's a done deal, but yeah, can't complain much if it goes down like I've been told. I guess I should also thank Maryland's lemon laws that don't allow usage deductions for MSRP trade buybacks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's why I was so surprised the dealer I contacted was so willing to put my name on their Launch Edition EUV they had on order. When I thanked them for being willing to work with me on my MSRP swap, the sales manager went "You don't have to thank us that much, we make out on this deal too". When I commented that other dealers were allergic to working with me, he said "They just don't know how to work the system like us". shruggie guy
I need a dealer like yours on the left coast!! So far I found no dealer that wants to work with me....arghhhh.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So the 2nd level Chevy rep informed me my case was (re)-submitted to the repurchase department and I just need to wait for their outreach.
Last time it took 6 weeks.... hopefully it's a lot quicker this time.
Were you denied the first time? I was wondering what to do if my initial request is denied. Complain louder? Lol..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Are you saying the usage fee is too high, or that you think there shouldn’t be a usage fee at all?
Both.. lol. I know it’s not realistic but it’s not our fault. And we’re having to jump through all these hoops so the dealers can get credit for another sale. They’re defective batteries put us at risk. They should just replace the vehicle straight across. The usage fee on my 2017 with 47k miles will be more than the trade in value. That’s ridiculous..

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Don't get me wrong, please keep pursuing your buyback. You never know, maybe you get better offer because someone was tired at GM Repurchase program and wanted to just throw a number at you that you'd accept. Maybe CA's reputation as an EV friendly state means more to GM. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Were you denied the first time? I was wondering what to do if my initial request is denied. Complain louder? Lol..
I was initially submitted for a straight repurchase, but I didn't like the numbers due to the usage fee they applied, so I got kicked back into the queue to switch to a MSRP trade. I just got informed my MSRP trade case was submitted to the repurchase department yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as the first time, as it took ~6 weeks to be contacted by the repurchase department after my case was submitted to them the first time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was initially submitted for a straight repurchase, but I didn't like the numbers due to the usage fee they applied, so I got kicked back into the queue to switch to a MSRP trade. I just got informed my MSRP trade case was submitted to the repurchase department yesterday. Hopefully it doesn't take as long as the first time, as it took ~6 weeks to be contacted by the repurchase department after my case was submitted to them the first time.
What the difference numbers wise between the repurchase and a MSRP trade?

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
What the difference numbers wise between the repurchase and a MSRP trade?
Taking the buyback would have meant paying $5k for GM to take my Bolt (after they reduced my buyback amount for usage and incentives I received). Going the MSRP trade route, I get a credit equal to my '19 Bolt's MSRP (no usage fee, no other deductions). Literally an $18k difference.

741 - 760 of 856 Posts