Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
761 - 780 of 856 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you don't me asking, how long ago did you all start the buyback process? I started mine June 1st and while the EV call rep agreed to pass my request along, he just recently called to say corporate denied my request since the "permanent" fix is available.

Wondering what I should do now. With the latest fire in VT, I am a bit hesitant to drive my 19 Bolt and contemplating whether I should try another buyback request. Owned a 17 bolt and had it upgraded to 19 bolt...so pretty loyal to say the least. However, this fire risk really does not sit well with me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if you don't me asking, how long ago did you all start the buyback process? I started mine June 1st and while the EV call rep agreed to pass my request along, he just recently called to say corporate denied my request since the "permanent" fix is available.

Wondering what I should do now. With the latest fire in VT, I am a bit hesitant to drive my 19 Bolt and contemplating whether I should try another buyback request. Owned a 17 bolt and had it upgraded to 19 bolt...so pretty loyal to say the least. However, this fire risk really does not sit well with me.
Hope would be upgrade to non-LG bolt '21 or '22

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

Earlier in the thread was the suggestion that you should ask GM Concierge for a written guarantee that the permanent fix will prevent battery fires. When they refuse, and they will refuse, push on the issue of the buyback since they cannot guarantee your safety.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
13 Posts
Earlier in the thread was the suggestion that you should ask GM Concierge for a written guarantee that the permanent fix will prevent battery fires. When they refuse, and they will refuse, push on the issue of the buyback since they cannot guarantee your safety.

ga2500ev
Thanks. I will try this.

I think us Bolt owners are placed in a really tough position here. Can't sell the car since its resale value is so low (while all other used car prices are at record highs) and can't drive in it with the peace of mind.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the same position, getting "declined" in CA for my '17 bolt with 50k miles. What a nightmare! Trying to do the right thing by buying an EV 4 years ago, paying for their continued R&D, and now it has next to no value and is a hazard too!

There's got to be a court case for this kind of craziness!

Udashdon can you pass along what happens next for you?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts

mid-February. =/

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm in the same position, getting "declined" in CA for my '17 bolt with 50k miles. What a nightmare! Trying to do the right thing by buying an EV 4 years ago, paying for their continued R&D, and now it has next to no value and is a hazard too!

There's got to be a court case for this kind of craziness!

Udashdon can you pass along what happens next for you?

thanks
Not looking good for me then. I’m in the same boat. 17 Bolt with 47k miles in CA. Talked to the supervisor today. She said I should know something by early next week. Have you tried asking for a written statement guaranteeing the final fix will prevent a fire? Seems to have worked for others. If declined I don’t plan to go away quietly. I live in the mountains. Any possible fire hazard should be taken very seriously.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I would continue to push them. Ask for that written statement. Their “final fix” is unacceptable. Basically a glorified smoke detector. I know there are lawsuits in CA and other states. Wouldn’t have a clue how to become a part of it. If GM doesn’t make it right then perhaps we need to explore legal options ourselves. I’m really busy as most of us are. Don’t want to waste time with lawyers and such. Can’t just let it go though…

·
Registered
766 Posts
I would continue to push them. Ask for that written statement. Their “final fix” is unacceptable. Basically a glorified smoke detector. I know there are lawsuits in CA and other states. Wouldn’t have a clue how to become a part of it. If GM doesn’t make it right then perhaps we need to explore legal options ourselves. I’m really busy as most of us are. Don’t want to waste time with lawyers and such. Can’t just let it go though…
GM may have reached a pivotal moment with the latest battery fire happening to a car having received the final software update. It wouldn’t be surprising if the repurchase dept has received an internal memo to delay repurchases while the final decisions are made regarding battery replacement. It depends on how the numbers crunch with this latest wrinkle.

The recall changing to battery replacement is a point of note in a trial. “You were offered a battery without the defective cells. Why do you expect more than that?”

·
Registered
52 Posts
GM may have reached a pivotal moment with the latest battery fire happening to a car having received the final software update. It wouldn’t be surprising if the repurchase dept has received an internal memo to delay repurchases while the final decisions are made regarding battery replacement. It depends on how the numbers crunch with this latest wrinkle.

The recall changing to battery replacement is a point of note in a trial. “You were offered a battery without the defective cells. Why do you expect more than that?”
Not sure I follow… No one has been offered a battery replacement correct?

“The current list price of a Bolt EV HV battery pack is $15,734.29 and the part number is 24285978.”

I imagine after you factor in labor repurchase would be the most cost effective for GM

·
Registered
766 Posts
Correct. What I am saying is that GM is probably considering that now that a Bolt which received the final recall software has burned.

I think we are watching GM perform “experiments in how to avoid the inevitable in real time, with our customers as lab rats.”

Ok, that is a bit harsh 🤥

·
Registered
33 Posts

“The current list price of a Bolt EV HV battery pack is $15,734.29 and the part number is 24285978.”

I imagine after you factor in labor repurchase would be the most cost effective for GM
Let's say labor for battery pack replacement is $5k so that's $20k for a battery replacement. Instead of making low offers on the repurchase program, if GM would just take $5k out of that $20k and add that to the repurchase offer I'm sure it would increase the acceptance rate for their repurchase program and satisfy most of their loyal Bolt customers and lessen their future liabilities by taking more fire prone vehicles out of circulation. But like the ignition switch fiasco GM accountants have ran the numbers and it will be cheaper and better for GM bottom line to pay off a few dead customers than do the right thing.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Let's say labor for battery pack replacement is $5k so that's $20k for a battery replacement. Instead of making low offers on the repurchase program, if GM would just take $5k out of that $20k and add that to the repurchase offer I'm sure it would increase the acceptance rate for their repurchase program and satisfy most of their loyal Bolt customers and lessen their future liabilities by taking more fire prone vehicles out of circulation. But like the ignition switch fiasco GM accountants have ran the numbers and it will be cheaper and better for GM bottom line to pay off a few dead customers than do the right thing.
At this point, I am wondering what GM is planning to do with the repurchased Bolts if they aren’t going to replace the batteries. Sell them in Mexico?

·
Registered
350 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
At this point, I am wondering what GM is planning to do with the repurchased Bolts if they aren’t going to replace the batteries. Sell them in Mexico?
I could see them selling the Bolts with a discount and a disclaimer - recoup some of their losses and pad their stats for number of Bolts sold. Isn't that what VW did with Dieselgate?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think more and more class action cases are gonna pop up if they don’t come up with a satisfactory resolution. That could get expensive for them…

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’m

I think more and more class action cases are gonna pop up if they don’t come up with a satisfactory resolution. That could get expensive for them…
Class action settlements will still be a lot cheaper than what I conservatively estimated as $20k per battery pack replacement cost multiplied by again a conservative 50k Bolts in the US. This is why all eyes should be looking at NHTSA and how it will settle this recall.

·
Registered
96 Posts
GM seems to be saying that now that there is a final fix, a pending buyback (under lemon law) need not be completed. That's not how the Cali lemon law ( civill code, § 1793.22 ) works. Generally, if a Cali vehicle is unrepairable while <18 months old or <18k miles, then the manufacturer must buy it back. The manufacturer doesn't get to say "hey, while we were doing the buyback paperwork, we finally managed to fix it so... deal's off!"

If the car was unrepairable for 30 days, and you invoked 1793.22 , then even if the dealer fixed it on day #31, it's still a lemon. Claiming it's not a lemon would be like getting pulled over for speeding, then when the officer approaches, saying "you can't ticket me now because I'm not speeding anymore!"

I would suggest calling attention to this problem at the CA Attorney General, who enforces lemon law. If carmakers can just keep trying to repair, while delaying the paperwork for months, then it would totally undercut the law.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This thread has been hijacked by obnoxious buyback noobs who should do more reading and less posting if they want anything close to a smooth and successful buyback/swap process.

761 - 780 of 856 Posts