Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was bored this morning, so I got to wondering how my electric bike compares to our 2019 Bolt. I started gathering numbers pertaining to both vehicles, and built a simple table. I guess I was looking of some sort of "ratio" or common relationship between the numbers, but I don't really see it if there is one. One thing they DO have in common: they are both GREAT FUN!

My eBike is a RadMini. It is pretty typical of the eBikes being sold these days, so I thought it would be a good choice for my comparison. (Specs below for 2020 model)

Here is my chart. See what you think. One thing I noticed - in both cases the (replacement) cost of the battery is roughly 1/2 the (actual) cost of the vehicle..

First number is BIKE / Second number is BOLT

MSRP: $1,499 / $38,640

Actual Cost: $1300 / $22,000 (Bike was on sale. Bolt price is plus tax & title, minus dealer discounts, Fed tax credit and TX rebate)

Curb weight: 67 / 3580

Battery weight: 7.7 lbs / 960 lbs

Miles range (advertised): 40 / 238

Battery Volts: 48 / 350

Battery energy: 672Wh / 60,000Wh

Battery cost: $550 / $12,500

Motor size: 750W / 150,000W

Motor torque: 59 ft-lb (80Nm) / 266 ft-lb (360Nm)

·
Registered
526 Posts
San Diego wants everybody to ride bikes to reduce traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if they use your statistics to promote their cause. Fortunately, it's a losing cause...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I sure wouldn't want to be restricted to just my eBike, but it is a fun alternative to the Bolt for purely recreational riding (in good weather).

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Can't carry Bolt/Can carry bike

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't know why people shouldn't ride bikes. Works great in Holland. I lived without a car for years in a suburban environment -- probably about a decade -- doing everything by bike, and quite enjoyed it. If I still had my knees from thirty years ago, I might use my car a lot less today; though rural living is more challenging without a car than city living.

I think e-bikes are great, personally. There's a small explosion of them on the remote island where I live, and I see that they offer reliable transport (and offset our very hilly terrain) for people who can't afford any kind of car other than a horrible old gas-guzzling clunker. There are e-bike cargo models that can carry two kids plus groceries, e-bike tandems, e-bike trail monsters, all kinds. They get guaranteed loading on the ferry (no stress, no anxiety, no lining up more than an hour in advance). There's a lot of upside there, not to mention the exercise.

Been thinking about a fatty e-bike myself, but not sure I can justify the purchase price given the casual/infrequent use I would make of it. IMNSHO it's a real pity that the earnest, well-meaning helmeteers in the early 80's sold so successfully the message "Cycling is Dangerous." I think they scared off two generations of potential utility cyclists and did untold harm to urban development... but then GJetson and I are probably far outliers on the bell curve of opinion, even in an EV forum!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I don't know why people shouldn't ride bikes. Works great in Holland. I lived without a car for years in a suburban environment -- probably about a decade -- doing everything by bike, and quite enjoyed it. If I still had my knees from thirty years ago, I might use my car a lot less today; though rural living is more challenging without a car than city living.

I think e-bikes are great, personally. There's a small explosion of them on the remote island where I live, and I see that they offer reliable transport (and offset our very hilly terrain) for people who can't afford any kind of car other than a horrible old gas-guzzling clunker. There are e-bike cargo models that can carry two kids plus groceries, e-bike tandems, e-bike trail monsters, all kinds. They get guaranteed loading on the ferry (no stress, no anxiety, no lining up more than an hour in advance). There's a lot of upside there, not to mention the exercise.

Been thinking about a fatty e-bike myself, but not sure I can justify the purchase price given the casual/infrequent use I would make of it. IMNSHO it's a real pity that the earnest, well-meaning helmeteers in the early 80's sold so successfully the message "Cycling is Dangerous." I think they scared off two generations of potential utility cyclists and did untold harm to urban development... but then GJetson and I are probably far outliers on the bell curve of opinion, even in an EV forum!
There are new developments starting to pop up that are based on zero cars. With zero/minimal cars, it would be super safe to get around in a bike/scooter. :)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
There's a small explosion of them on the remote island where I live, and I see that they offer reliable transport (and offset our very hilly terrain) for people who can't afford any kind of car other than a horrible old gas-guzzling clunker. There are e-bike cargo models that can carry two kids plus groceries, e-bike tandems, e-bike trail monsters, all kinds. They get guaranteed loading on the ferry (no stress, no anxiety, no lining up more than an hour in advance). There's a lot of upside there, not to mention the exercise.
Hey! Do you live on the same island with this guy?

·
Registered
197 Posts
+1 on ebikes.

A year ago, I picked up a Specialized Turbo Como and it's one of the best machines I've ever owned. I can easily carry four bags of groceries and take it for nearly all errands under 30 miles in distance, unless I need to haul something big or another person. I've put 1700 miles on it and loved every one of them, even in the rain (gotta have appropriate clothing).

The motor/sensors/software work seamlessly to add very smoothly either 35%, 50%, or 75% assist. Takes the sting out of the considerable hills of San Francisco. I love how I get a cardio workout and still save my knees. No need for a gym membership.

Specialized motto is: "It's you, only faster." At my age, I've adapted that to: "It's me, only easier."

Why people feel they NEED to take a vehicle that weighs 1 to several TONS just to haul around their 200 lb. body and a few groceries is beyond me.
Oh, I remember: 'Mercans.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts

1. Human nature is to put a little effort in to achieve a result. Cars are pretty low effort.
2. Most outdoor weather is uncomfortable; either too hot, too cold, or too rainy/snowy. People don't like being uncomfortable.
3.Vehicles have way more utility than a bike.
4. People think they desire safety above everything else. It's consistently among the top considerations for vehicle purchasers. Bikes are way more dangerous than cars, mostly because of cars. We're in an arms race to outweigh others so we win in a collision.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
4. People think they desire safety above everything else. It's consistently among the top considerations for vehicle purchasers. Bikes are way more dangerous than cars, mostly because of cars. We're in an arms race to outweigh others so we win in a collision.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
San Diego wants everybody to ride bikes to reduce traffic. I wouldn't be surprised if they use your statistics to promote their cause. Fortunately, it's a losing cause...
If they make traffic miserable enough by closing road lanes to make bike paths, then surly people will see the error of their ways and start riding bikes everywhere!

Keith

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
If they make traffic miserable enough by closing road lanes to make bike paths, then surly people will see the error of their ways and start riding bikes everywhere!

Keith
In Charlottesville there is an nice residential street with several speed bumps per block. The kids play in the street with their skateboards, and adults stand in the street and talk. At one end of the street, a surly resident erected a professionally done billboard saying, "Speed bumps waste fuel." I guess he figures the correct respond is to speed between speed bumps to maintain you average 40 mph in residential areas.

The other day, the wife saw a Tea Party type sitting on a folding chair at a busy intersection holding a sign saying, "Pelosi-B1tch!" Maybe the same guy?

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
I'm against speed bumps. They don't accomplish anything because people like me don't slow for them. The faster you go over them, the less it disturbs the occupants. Other people just hit the brakes and then accelerate afterwards. Waste of money, waste of fuel, and who knows how much extra wear on suspension parts... before I completely write them off I suppose I need to read the studies to see how effective speed bumps are at saving lives.

Anyhow, streets aren't for playing, they are for driving. I played in a cul-de-sac when I was a kid, but I still made it my responsibility to not impede traffic.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Anyhow, streets aren't for playing, they are for driving. I played in a cul-de-sac when I was a kid, but I still made it my responsibility to not impede traffic.
Currently, most American streets are designed for private cars. That is certainly true. But it is not necessarily the best use of city space.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I'm against speed bumps. They don't accomplish anything because people like me don't slow for them. The faster you go over them, the less it disturbs the occupants. Other people just hit the brakes and then accelerate afterwards. Waste of money, waste of fuel, and who knows how much extra wear on suspension parts... before I completely write them off I suppose I need to read the studies to see how effective speed bumps are at saving lives.

Fortunately, not a big deal for hybrids and plug-in vehicles that utilize regenerative braking.

What I find is people are all about self sufficiency until they encounter a situation they cannot handle (e.g. being a gripper), then they demand the government should step in to help, the government they have weakened. In this case, they are against speed bumps until after their kid gets hit by a car speeding down the residential streets due to the lack of speed bumps.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Fortunately, not a big deal for hybrids and plug-in vehicles that utilize regenerative braking.

What I find is people are all about self sufficiency until they encounter a situation they cannot handle (e.g. being a gripper), then they demand the government should step in to help, the government they have weakened. In this case, they are against speed bumps until after their kid gets hit by a car speeding down the residential streets due to the lack of speed bumps.
Keep using that word... if you want to die young that is your business, the rest of us would like to keep living.

Why do you want to die young? Has the world been that cruel to you?

Keith

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh dear. I think I strayed too far into opinion and too far from EVs. Sorry. But I'll just say one thing, kind of turning the camera to look at things from a different angle: I don't see bikes as "dangerous". Cars are "dangerous" -- in operation, they create danger for everyone outside the car. Bikes are "vulnerable" -- the risk is experienced by the operator. Calling bikes "dangerous" I think disingenuously assigns responsibility for the danger to the wrong people :)

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Oh dear. I think I strayed too far into opinion and too far from EVs. Sorry. But I'll just say one thing, kind of turning the camera to look at things from a different angle: I don't see bikes as "dangerous". Cars are "dangerous" -- in operation, they create danger for everyone outside the car. Bikes are "vulnerable" -- the risk is experienced by the operator. Calling bikes "dangerous" I think disingenuously assigns responsibility for the danger to the wrong people :)
It's all dangerous. :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts