Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Bolt compared to eBike

6K views 48 replies 15 participants last post by  GJETSON 
#1 · (Edited)
I was bored this morning, so I got to wondering how my electric bike compares to our 2019 Bolt. I started gathering numbers pertaining to both vehicles, and built a simple table. I guess I was looking of some sort of "ratio" or common relationship between the numbers, but I don't really see it if there is one. One thing they DO have in common: they are both GREAT FUN!

My eBike is a RadMini. It is pretty typical of the eBikes being sold these days, so I thought it would be a good choice for my comparison. (Specs below for 2020 model)

Here is my chart. See what you think. One thing I noticed - in both cases the (replacement) cost of the battery is roughly 1/2 the (actual) cost of the vehicle..

First number is BIKE / Second number is BOLT

MSRP: $1,499 / $38,640

Actual Cost: $1300 / $22,000 (Bike was on sale. Bolt price is plus tax & title, minus dealer discounts, Fed tax credit and TX rebate)

Curb weight: 67 / 3580

Battery weight: 7.7 lbs / 960 lbs

Miles range (advertised): 40 / 238

Battery Volts: 48 / 350

Battery energy: 672Wh / 60,000Wh

Battery cost: $550 / $12,500

Motor size: 750W / 150,000W

Motor torque: 59 ft-lb (80Nm) / 266 ft-lb (360Nm)

See less See more
#4 ·
Can't carry Bolt/Can carry bike

#6 ·
I don't know why people shouldn't ride bikes. Works great in Holland. I lived without a car for years in a suburban environment -- probably about a decade -- doing everything by bike, and quite enjoyed it. If I still had my knees from thirty years ago, I might use my car a lot less today; though rural living is more challenging without a car than city living.

I think e-bikes are great, personally. There's a small explosion of them on the remote island where I live, and I see that they offer reliable transport (and offset our very hilly terrain) for people who can't afford any kind of car other than a horrible old gas-guzzling clunker. There are e-bike cargo models that can carry two kids plus groceries, e-bike tandems, e-bike trail monsters, all kinds. They get guaranteed loading on the ferry (no stress, no anxiety, no lining up more than an hour in advance). There's a lot of upside there, not to mention the exercise.

Been thinking about a fatty e-bike myself, but not sure I can justify the purchase price given the casual/infrequent use I would make of it. IMNSHO it's a real pity that the earnest, well-meaning helmeteers in the early 80's sold so successfully the message "Cycling is Dangerous." I think they scared off two generations of potential utility cyclists and did untold harm to urban development... but then GJetson and I are probably far outliers on the bell curve of opinion, even in an EV forum!

#7 ·
I don't know why people shouldn't ride bikes. Works great in Holland. I lived without a car for years in a suburban environment -- probably about a decade -- doing everything by bike, and quite enjoyed it. If I still had my knees from thirty years ago, I might use my car a lot less today; though rural living is more challenging without a car than city living.

I think e-bikes are great, personally. There's a small explosion of them on the remote island where I live, and I see that they offer reliable transport (and offset our very hilly terrain) for people who can't afford any kind of car other than a horrible old gas-guzzling clunker. There are e-bike cargo models that can carry two kids plus groceries, e-bike tandems, e-bike trail monsters, all kinds. They get guaranteed loading on the ferry (no stress, no anxiety, no lining up more than an hour in advance). There's a lot of upside there, not to mention the exercise.

Been thinking about a fatty e-bike myself, but not sure I can justify the purchase price given the casual/infrequent use I would make of it. IMNSHO it's a real pity that the earnest, well-meaning helmeteers in the early 80's sold so successfully the message "Cycling is Dangerous." I think they scared off two generations of potential utility cyclists and did untold harm to urban development... but then GJetson and I are probably far outliers on the bell curve of opinion, even in an EV forum!
There are new developments starting to pop up that are based on zero cars. With zero/minimal cars, it would be super safe to get around in a bike/scooter. :)

#9 ·
+1 on ebikes.

A year ago, I picked up a Specialized Turbo Como and it's one of the best machines I've ever owned. I can easily carry four bags of groceries and take it for nearly all errands under 30 miles in distance, unless I need to haul something big or another person. I've put 1700 miles on it and loved every one of them, even in the rain (gotta have appropriate clothing).

The motor/sensors/software work seamlessly to add very smoothly either 35%, 50%, or 75% assist. Takes the sting out of the considerable hills of San Francisco. I love how I get a cardio workout and still save my knees. No need for a gym membership.

Specialized motto is: "It's you, only faster." At my age, I've adapted that to: "It's me, only easier."

Why people feel they NEED to take a vehicle that weighs 1 to several TONS just to haul around their 200 lb. body and a few groceries is beyond me.
Oh, I remember: 'Mercans.

#15 ·
I'm against speed bumps. They don't accomplish anything because people like me don't slow for them. The faster you go over them, the less it disturbs the occupants. Other people just hit the brakes and then accelerate afterwards. Waste of money, waste of fuel, and who knows how much extra wear on suspension parts... before I completely write them off I suppose I need to read the studies to see how effective speed bumps are at saving lives.

Anyhow, streets aren't for playing, they are for driving. I played in a cul-de-sac when I was a kid, but I still made it my responsibility to not impede traffic.

#19 ·
Oh dear. I think I strayed too far into opinion and too far from EVs. Sorry. But I'll just say one thing, kind of turning the camera to look at things from a different angle: I don't see bikes as "dangerous". Cars are "dangerous" -- in operation, they create danger for everyone outside the car. Bikes are "vulnerable" -- the risk is experienced by the operator. Calling bikes "dangerous" I think disingenuously assigns responsibility for the danger to the wrong people :)

#22 ·
I've been riding e-bikes for 5 years and have 6 of them now (between me and my wife) including 3 road/city bikes, two e-mountain bikes and 1 e-tandem conversion. We love them and use them for trips under 30 miles when the weather permits, which is most days, even in the winter in Colorado. (We do longer trips - up to 83 miles as well, but less frequently). Since we got the Bolt EV, admittedly, we ride less and drive more since we feel less guilty driving an EV instead of our gas-guzzlers. We are hosting a Drive Electric Earth Day event in our community on 19 April and, like many other city-captains, we are also including e-bikes in our show and tell.

In Europe, e-bikes rule. Prior to the e-bike revolution, we were in Copenhagen where 50% of the people ride bikes instead of cars and car drivers have little traffic to contend with. Ride a bike, an e-bike or drive an EV. It's ALL good.

#31 ·
I guess there’ll be a post eventually that boasts I’m better (and know better) than you because I drive a Bolt (EV), and this is the one. It happens with all forums, and since the Bolt is flawless, there’s not much to talk about in terms of repairs/maintenance/mods, etc.

#35 ·
I don't see it as Tesla having had a head start. Nissan had the Leaf before Tesla had the Model S. Also, Nissan started with a manufacturing plant and know-how. Tesla came from nowhere, and is increasingly taking market share.

I went to an EV event in Portland back when the Model S was new. There was just 1 there, and it attracted more interest than the other vehicles. I don't even remember the other ones because the S was so unique and "gee wiz". People that buy the Bolt are probably more interested in its practicality and less inclined to form an identity around it.

#42 ·
I do a lot of cycling, over 5k miles a year, and I find that the overwhelming majority of motorists are very careful and patient when overtaking cyclists. Every once in awhile I’ll encounter a motorist who tests my accident avoidance skills, that adrenaline rush really helps on the next hill.

It’s all about respect when it comes to motorists and cyclists. Cyclists have to try not to ride like jerks, and motorists need to remember that it’s easy to kill someone on a bike, and try to avoid doing that.

When a motorist yields the right of way I usually respond with a wave, that does a lot more to encourage responsible motorist behavior than a middle finger, and I’m not about to win in any encounter with a vehicle that outweighs mine 200:1.

On a planning level, newer roadway and community designs better integrate all road traffic, cars, bikes, pedestrians, joggers, etc... This is better for everyone, as the old “streets are only for cars” design rules created many conflicts that more modern, inclusive planning can prevent.

Reactions: sasunde
#44 · (Edited)
Roads should not be shared because it's not safe and it's not efficient. That said, I've done a lot of bike commuting starting from grade school and most recently my previous job had a 14 mile round trip commute. In places where there was no dedicated bike lane, it's pretty dangerous and a huge inconvenience to motorists that want to do the posted 45 MPH limit.

It was a short section, so I subjected everyone to it, but if the shared roadway was much longer I wouldn't have ridden my bike. The road was clearly intended primarily for automobiles, so I have no business slowing people down to bike speed.

I can see shared roads being a good idea if the top speed is 30 MPH or less. Even then you get hipsters on fixies going absurdly slow. Shared roads will be more sensible with autonomous driving.

#45 ·
Shared roads are safer and more efficient, at least from the perspective of all users, not just motorists, but this requires proper design. You can’t just put up a sign that says “bike route”, you have to accommodate cyclists.

The era where roads were built solely for cars is coming to an end. That’s a good thing.

By the way, you had every right to use any public roadway not restricted to motor vehicles only. It’s the idea that cyclists are somehow second class users that needs to change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.