Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was literally just about to post this !

But:
Premier
Summit White
Dark Galvanized Gray, Perforated leather-appointed seat trim
Infotainment Package
Driver Confidence 2 Package
Fast Charging Capability
Sill Plates

Pretty much everything except for a few interior accessories..

Came up to $43,595

$419/month lease with $4,597 due at signing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Found this in regards to the fast charging as well.

As for the non-aesthetic options, the most important one, which really should be standard in our opinion, is the DC Fast-Charging Capability. It costs $750.
There have been rumors recently that it could have a capacity of up to 80 kW, but a GM spokesperson recently reaffirmed that the option is capped at 50 kW, or about 90 miles in a half hour of charging.
https://electrek.co/2016/11/29/gm-release-the-chevy-bolt-ev-online-design-studio-cheapest-long-range-ev-ownership-yet/

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Electrek says a GM spokesperson told them the fast charging rate is capped at 50 kW, yet they don't quote that spokesperson in the article. That information would be newsworthy, since GM has yet to officially publish the max fast charging rate for the Bolt. Sounds like they are just making assumptions.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Bolt EV ride along with one of the engineers:

3:20 into the video
Question: Can the Bolt charge faster than 50 kW?
Answer: Ummmmm........*long pause*........we're saying 50 for now.
Then the engineer quickly changes the subject.

Sure sounds like 50 kW ain't the max for the Bolt. :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
Bolt EV ride along with one of the engineers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwrp7_tjYTM

3:20 into the video
Question: Can the Bolt charge faster than 50 kW?
Answer: Ummmmm........*long pause*........we're saying 50 for now.
Then the engineer quickly changes the subject.

Sure sounds like 50 kW ain't the max for the Bolt. :D
Starting to think how fast these things can really charge and how safe that 50kw is, for all we know by going with 50 they set the bar really, really low and instead want to stick with adjusting it over time in line with the market.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pretty much. Until a spokesperson comes out with a hard number, we really don't know if the Bolt can charge faster than 50 kW. Guess you'll just have to gamble if you choose to add the DC fast charging capability to the Bolt. Not that bad at $750.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
So it's a really unknown at this point then. Considering no one has quoted an official statement directly ?
GM seems to be playing it tight with the DC charge rate. I guess they don't want to advertise something that isn't possible to achieve yet, since no >50kW CCS stations exists in the US yet. So why bother advertising higher than 50.
When those 125 kW Chargepoint stations come online, expect some announcement. "Oh, btw..." :wink:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lol well, I am a gambling man, so throwing $750 on the table for some faster charge or not, pfft lets do it ! Either way fast charging is fast charging correct ? It'll be better then... well slow charging..

·
Registered
46 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that fast charging is tough on the battery and can speed up it's degradation. Regardless, I want the fast charge option in my car just for the possibility of needing it one day

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like the fast charging option on my BMWi3, I have used it regularly in the last 2 years and have seen no desegregation in performance.

Interesting, the charge station I use regularly, has a 1 hr minimum charge, but the car with it's smaller capacity (apx 80 mi) is usually charged in a lot less time, the Bolt will be the real first test on these stations in this county.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that fast charging is tough on the battery and can speed up it's degradation. Regardless, I want the fast charge option in my car just for the possibility of needing it one day
Fast charging can make a hot battery pack hotter, and this is the main risk. Fast charging in cold weather isn't likely to do any harm. If it's 85F outside, and you've been driving hard, then you might want to check the pack temperature gauge first.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
In theory, the car is supposed to take into account battery pack temperature and SOC when determining how much juice to give the battery pack. At least that would be the smart way to do it. I know that Tesla takes such an intelligent approach when Supercharging their cars. Even though the SuperCharger can deliver up to 135 kW, the car may only ask for 60 kW.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There's only so much the battery can degrade with fast charging, don't remember the percentage on the warranty for a certain amount of years. Chevy has done the math and it's worth the extra cost. Also, most of the time you won't be fast charging at home, just when you're out and about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts