1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
It will be good to see what they come up with. I have wondered. Whatever they come up with I doubt very much will influence me to not buy the Bolt, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I just like to see cars crumple and have an idea of what the cabin intrusion will look like in case of a frontal crash, side, roll over, etc. hopefully, I'll never find out in the real world.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Both the NHTSA and IIHS have to use production models to do the correct crash test and certify the results. The Bolt EV began production in October 2016 but sales began in December 2016. GM probably did thei own in-house crash tests with the pre-production models and studied the results to fine tune the production line procedures. I expect the Chevy Bolt EV to get at least four stars on all NHTSA tests and "Good" for all IIHS tests.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just a psychopath, not a dangerous one

Phil0909, some of us are just mellow psychopaths. Not at all dangerous. That's why we drive EVs and just watch those videos but don't participate. >:)
- On a more serious note, if the Bolt can get high crash ratings, it should incrementally help sales. A big tranche of potential buyers want safety as well as a divorce from Big Oil.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't think IIHS and NHTSA has released the Bolt's crash ratings yet. All I found was something back in February from Road and Track saying that the Bolt is safer than the Tesla Model S.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I don't think IIHS and NHTSA has released the Bolt's crash ratings yet. All I found was something back in February from Road and Track saying that the Bolt is safer than the Tesla Model S.
I have a theory that in the quest to better Tesla in the crash ratings, we have ended up with seats that are uncomfortable for some. Not only do they have plenty of room between the seat and the door for airbag deployment that necessitates the seats be somewhat narrow, but the firm steel reinforced bolsters in the seat pan and seat back that people are complaining about are designed to keep us in the seat in the event of a side impact.

If I'm correct, then in GM's zeal to compete with Tesla and one up them, they may have actually shot themselves in the foot. The car may have the highest safety ratings in the land, but if people don't like sitting in it, that's a pointless metric for selling the car.

Again, it's just a theory I have and like Jon Snow, or Sargent Shultz, I know nothing.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
But I thought a lot of the safety rating is depending on cabin intrusion and not too much on how stationary the seat is? Last time I recall reading about the Tesla safety test, they scored so well because they broke the crash testing gear.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
But I thought a lot of the safety rating is depending on cabin intrusion and not too much on how stationary the seat is? Last time I recall reading about the Tesla safety test, they scored so well because they broke the crash testing gear.
There are a lot of metrics they look at, but ultimately the highest priority is on how well the crash test dummies perform and usually in vehicles it is safest to stay locked in the seat instead of being tossed around the cabin. However, I am not an expert on the subject.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Out of curiosity I emailed the IIHS about when they planned to do the crash test and got this response:

"We are planning on testing the Chevrolet Bolt at the end of this month through the beginning of June. However, I am not sure how soon the ratings will be released. Please continue to monitor our website for updates."

I have a lease ending real soon and was hoping for results to be out by the time I needed a new car but that won't be the case. Time to decide if I can live with that or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts