Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
So that's what the batteries look like under the floor. Not quite sure what I was expecting but that's a cleaner design than what I was imagining. Thought it would look like individual blocks separated from each other.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Shuto for the pic.

About the batteries Bazinga, I saw a pic of them without the body but now can't find it.

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
The cutaway shows how there is not a frunk, unlike Teslas -- I wonder if Tesla engineers will be able to incorporate a front loading space in their upcoming compact Model 3. It also makes me wonder if GM will be able to optimize the packaging on the next generation Bolt so that there can be a frunk.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just had a thought when I saw the under body of the BMW i3. Since the Bolt EV's flat underbody is enclosed, that means there's a barrier between the important components and elements that can cause corrosion like like rust from the winter road salt.

No more salt rust! Well, not as much as a conventional car.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You're thinking of a fully sealed bottom but that's unlikely. Even the BMW i3 still had uncovered spots in the under body where moisture and salt can get in.
An improvement compared to normal gas cars but not the magical shield you're hoping for.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The reason Teslas have a "frunk" is because they're rear-motor. Actually, most of the newer Model S' are all-wheel-drive, so they do have a front motor, and that does impact the front storage space slightly. To me, the "frunk" is more of a novelty than a must-have. If you look at other photos of the Bolt, the rear storage area is quite deep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd like to see an AWD bolt cuv in the gmc lineup with different sexier sheet metal for 10 grand more than the bolt...

I'd even accept fwd if it looked like a sexy Porsche Macan like cuv...

I bet that battery location in the bolt offers such a low center of gravity....the handling with sticky tires I think would be great...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think it'll come in time. Right now GM is aiming for distance. Once they have that down pat, they'll move on to better performance electric vehicles like the Tesla model S. With the battery setup, it's just begging for a sporty version of the bolt.

And frunks are cool.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The cutaway shows how there is not a frunk, unlike Teslas -- I wonder if Tesla engineers will be able to incorporate a front loading space in their upcoming compact Model 3. It also makes me wonder if GM will be able to optimize the packaging on the next generation Bolt so that there can be a frunk.

I think if the Model 3 has a frunk or trunk but not a hatchback, it will hurt their sales immensely compared to the BOLT EV. JMO.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think the only EV besides the Tesla S/X's that has a frunk is the BMW i3. It's fairly small and holds the tool kit, but it's not weather tight :confused:. What you put in there gets pretty grimy if you drive in the wet.

http://insideevs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Frunk1.jpg

The Model 3 is an unknown because the design of the car has not been finalized. Target date for a finalized design is June 30th.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Final details of the Model 3 might be solidifying, but the basic layout has been firm for a year, maybe two. It will have a trunk and frunk. Elon has tweeted it will not be a hatchback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts