Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings everyone,

I'm both a machinist and 3D modeler, and to be honest, I have never liked the gold bowtie on the front of the car much. After looking everywhere for an aftermarket replacement that could use the same style clips as the bowtie, all I found was a black bowtie alternative. Some people have suggested the Opel logo instead, but because of the bowtie indent in the grill of the car when you remove the bowtie, this doesn't seem practical. So, I went about designing my own logo for the front using the same style clips as the original. I will be manufacturing one of these in the next 2 weeks when I get some time, but I'm wondering what designs other people would put on the front of their cars if they could?

Let me know, and I'll see what I can cook up!

·
Registered
517 Posts
The gold bowtie has been standard across the Chevy line for sometime. I've kept it on 3 of my last 4 Chevys because the 4th didn't have it. I get that the current generation must black out everything they can, but............no.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gold bowtie has been standard across the Chevy line for sometime. I've kept it on 3 of my last 4 Chevys because the 4th didn't have it. I get that the current generation must black out everything they can, but............no.
I appreciate your feedback and participation.
For those who are content with the gold or black bowtie, I have no problem with that. I was wondering if anyone else had other ideas besides those two and the Opel logo, as those seem to be the only options available at the current point. I'm modeling up some other ideas, but while modeling and manufacturing are my strong suit, design ideas are a little tougher for me.

I just covered the yellow with black carbon fiber pattern vinyl.
I also appreciate your feedback and participation.
I know that masking over it is an option, but that seems like it's just putting a bandaid over it. I have removed my hood emblem off the car to get the specs off of it for 3D modeling, and I could easily paint it or make a billet aluminum one to stick back on there to spice up the emblem, but to me, it's still just a boring emblem. Even the corvette flags are more exciting then the bowtie. So I'm aiming to go a different route with a snap in version that has a little more of a statement. So I figured I'd see what other people who wanted to change their hood emblem would suggest. Just looking for options!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Greetings everyone,

I'm both a machinist and designer, and to be honest, I have never liked the gold bowtie on the front of the car much. After looking everywhere for an aftermarket replacement that could use the same style clips as the bowtie, all I found was a black bowtie alternative. Some people have suggested the Opel logo instead, but because of the bowtie indent in the grill of the car when you remove the bowtie, this doesn't seem practical. So, I went about designing my own logo for the front using the same style clips as the original. I will be manufacturing one of these in the next 2 weeks when I get some time, but I'm wondering what designs other people would put on the front of their cars if they could?

Let me know, and I'll see what I can cook up!
Something like a blue lightning Bolt would be nice to show off its electric heritage. Or a battery. Hehe

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can I get TRON to replace mine
That's a pretty good idea. Are you thinking just the words TRON in the logo style? I can look into a nice powder coat Blue or Black to match that as well.

When I model it up, I'll post some pictures of what it comes out looking like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with an easy route of just a battery with a lightning bolt in the middle for now. Then I crudely rendered it onto an image of the front of the car (mostly for scale).

As you can see from the model, I took the original Chevrolet Bowtie shape and clips because it needs to seat nicely back into the original pocket on the front of the car. Due to the position of the clips, the new emblem must be about twice as wide as it is tall. This makes words like "Bolt EV" and "TRON" that run side-to-side much easier to do than circles or tall emblems. In this rendering, the battery came out fine, but the lightning bolt will need to be shrunk top to bottom a bit so it doesn't rise up past the base of the hood.

Now that the hard part of modeling the clips and bowtie are done, modifying the new emblems is just adding additional words and symbols on top. I'll work on TRON next for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Dude...that is way more bad ass than a japnese cartoon from a WWII battleship that traveled 148,000 light years...where you located, I'll tig the tabs for you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the positive remarks. I couldn't have said it better myself :)

I'm close to Denver, CO. At the current time, I'm experimenting with 3D printing them (We have a metal 3D printer, carbon fiber/nylon 3D printer, and high resolution plastic 3D printer) along with making it out of some billet aluminum (although it's an immense waste of material for the tabs. Making a fixture to tig them properly may be a much cheaper way to go down the road, but it also depends if anyone else would even want one of these.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the TRON Emblem. Same base as before, just with a new top saying "TRON"

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
Those are both impressive! I’d seriously consider buying from you. Was it difficult to remove the original bow tie?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those are both impressive! I’d seriously consider buying from you. Was it difficult to remove the original bow tie?
Removing the front bow wasn't bad. You pop the hood, remove 4 push-pins and 2 Torx screws holding down the plastic cover above the grill. That gives you access to the back of the bowtie. There are 4 tabs on the back of the bowtie that lock in when you push the emblem in. I just took a flathead screwdriver and gently twisted the tabs attached to the grill (they are meant to move, whereas the tabs on the emblem are a little sturdier plastic). After popping all 4 of the tabs free, it wiggles its way out. So, overall, it's very easy to do but takes a little care not to break the tabs on the grill.

I'll aim to have a prototype done within a week or 2, and I'll attach real-world photos then of them mounted on the grill. I'll also have to see how long manufacturing time is so I get can an accurate cost for these. Considering a set of plastic bowties are $100 or more, how much would any of you deem acceptable for a painted, one-of-a-kind solid aluminum front emblem? Just curious!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally finished the prototype of the aluminum "TRON". It makes the most perfect snapping sound into place on the bumper and holds steady. It looks amazing! It's dark out now, so I'll get some pictures of it on the bumper soon. I'm going to work on painting it tonight, and will post some pictures of that progress too. Cant wait for you all to see it, and then I'll make a battery shaped one.

One thing I was thinking from a manufacturing standpoint is that I will likely take my finished aluminum one, make a mold of it in silicone, and make these things out of a hard plastic after all. Machining this one just isnt even close to as cost effective as a molded plastic. I'll still paint the plastic of course, but any thoughts on plastic vs aluminum?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 40 Posts