21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
OK, there’s hood ornaments, and there’s the hood ornament:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'll still paint the plastic of course, but any thoughts on plastic vs aluminum?
Plastic is entirely reasonable. It's the Bolt, plastic is king! :p

On pricing, while the replacement bowties run $100+, I don't know how well these would sell in that price range. It's a niche of a niche. I (important to note, still a soon-to-be owner, not a current one) would definitely buy if they were in the $50 range, but would still strongly consider them in the $100 range.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Plastic is entirely reasonable. It's the Bolt, plastic is king! :p

On pricing, while the replacement bowties run $100+, I don't know how well these would sell in that price range. It's a niche of a niche. I (important to note, still a soon-to-be owner, not a current one) would definitely buy if they were in the $50 range, but would still strongly consider them in the $100 range.
I was thinking along the same lines for this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
More photos coming your way.

I cooked up a prototype of the battery/lightning bolt one, too. Looked good, just a bit thin on the bottom. I'll remedy that on the next part.

For painting, I have been experimenting with all sort of different styles. I tried spray painting the letters blue, letting it cure fully, then spray painting black over the entire parts and then wiping off the black from the top of the letters. That was a no-go. The black bonded to the blue within 30 seconds, so there was no time to wipe it off.

So, I spray painted the entire letters blue again and tried masking off the tops of the letters after the paint cured again. While this worked okay, it was too much work to cut the tape around each letter. It'd be nice to just slap a piece of tape over the tops of the letters, but then I can't paint in the inside pockets of the letters. I can imagine I'd be tired of cutting all that tape after about 5 parts, so I thought about looking to see if I can find some reusable stickers I can cut to the shape, stick to the part, paint, peel off and then reuse. Still, it's not the most viable option.

So, I painted the entire part black (by now that paint was about 4 or 5 layers thick, and it shows!) Then, I decided to hand paint the tops of the letters. It actually came out "decent" for having so much paint already on the part. So, with that, I think I'll just give it a quick shot of black spray paint on the next one, let it cure, hand paint the letters, and then clear coat the beast. Should be silky smooth (unless this one)

It'll be tough this week to get back to machining another one, so I'll aim for this coming weekend to get one fully done. If it stops raining here, and after the paint dries, I'll put both the TRON and battery one on the hood and snap some pics.

Thanks for the support and information so far!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The prototype is on the car. Looks great! I have a few tweaks to make in regards to position and contouring to the bumper, but the concept is proven. I'll work on a final prototype of TRON this weekend and then work on molding it hopefully next week. After that, it should be good to send out a few for you guys to try if you want.

One thing I'm wondering is if we want to color Tron to match the car color, or if we just leave them all blue. Once I prototype the next version, I'll hold the blue Tron up next to the bumper of a different color Bolt at the charging stations and see if Blue goes with all cars, or if coloring them to match the car is a better plan. I'd aim for custom coloring more than universal blue.

Also, the battery emblem is just too black to stand out against the bumper. The yellow lightning bolt is cool, but I need to color the battery differently. I'm going to try outlining the profile to make the shape pop out more along with trying a whole different color. I'll see what looks better.

Any thoughts on either color plan (TRON letters or Battery color)are much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
I vote for blue for the battery color (I guess same shade as what you used for Tron) and leave the Bolt as yellow. The Tron one looks awesome too. Great job man!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I vote for blue for the battery color (I guess same shade as what you used for Tron) and leave the Bolt as yellow. The Tron one looks awesome too. Great job man!
Thanks for the support! I attempted a blue battery/yellow lightning bolt- it just doesnt look good. I tried silver battery/ yellow bolt, still no go. I'm going to try painting the battery black again,make the lightning bolt blue, and outline the battery in blue next. I'll keep you posted!

I'm also thinking because TRON came out nice, I might use the same platform and instead say "BOLT" or "BOLT EV" in their style logo, with the funky "O". That'd likely be my last design, unless anyone else has further suggestions?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks for the support! I attempted a blue battery/yellow lightning bolt- it just doesnt look good. I tried silver battery/ yellow bolt, still no go. I'm going to try painting the battery black again,make the lightning bolt blue, and outline the battery in blue next. I'll keep you posted!

I'm also thinking because TRON came out nice, I might use the same platform and instead say "BOLT" or "BOLT EV" in their style logo, with the funky "O". That'd likely be my last design, unless anyone else has further suggestions?
The Blue on Blue idea for the battery design sounds good too! And between Bolt and Bolt EV, the former would probably look better design-wise for a front emblem :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey everyone,

I've still been forging ahead with these hood emblems.

I've posted a few more pictures of my most recent painted prototype. The size and position and good, but it was a bit thick by about 1/8", so I thinned that out, the bottom corners got a little jacked up (it should match the top contour), and the plastic I machined it out of was "hairy", so it made the paint look bubbly.

After i made the one on the car in the pictures, I made a few more tweaks and my final prototype is finished and is perfect. I'll be working on plastic molding the part based on my prototype this week. With the barbs on the back of the part, the mold work may be a bit tricky, but I should have that squared away in a week or 2. If it all works out, I'll be ready to send out the first 5 TRONs to anyone interested. For the first 5 people, I'll keep the price at $40 shipped to the lower 48 states so I can get some feedback. After that I'll probably go between $50 to $60 shipped after that depending on the total time, effort, and supplies needed per part. I'll have them on Ebay, Amazon, or Etsy at that point.

My plan towards the end of the month will be to make a prototype saying BOLT, so if you want one of those instead let me know there, too.

I abandoned the battery with the lightning bolt emblem. No matter how it was colored, it was just too blocky and didnt look good on the front, so that is out.

On the topic of color, the blue TRON letters look good on my blue car, but they look a little off on the white color Bolt I tested it on. So, I painted the TRON letters white instead and it looked good on the white car. So, I'll be offering the letters in a color that is close to that of each car. I'll work on that to get it as close as I can for each car. Looks like I'll be heading around town and to dealers to color match each hood emblem to their associated car :)

In sum, let me know if you potentially want a TRON or BOLT in the coming weeks for $40 and what color car you have/what color letters you want. I'll put you on a preliminary list.

Thanks for hanging with me.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hea dude...yea, want one, also, can you do instructions how you would remove the chevy piece and put on the TRON...also, who on here is a program, amd who is a user, you may want yours in red...I'll see you on the GRID

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got you down Grandizer52. What color is your Bolt so I can match the painted letters to it, unless you just want blue? (I think it looks better matched, personally)

For progress, I have completed my first half of my Tron mold and poured a sample front. All looks great so far. I have attached 2 pictures of the top half of the molded part. It has a light texture so the paint adheres nicely, so it should be sweet. Gotta get the right hardness plastic still, but I'm going to attempt the other half of the mold this week if the Coronavirus doesn't shut absolutely everything down. So far,moving forward nicely.

For an EV1 Logo, I'll consider it after I finish the "Bolt" logo. Tron was just for fun, I think for now an emblem saying Bolt will speak to more people, and if I feel I can recoup some of the time and money spent with those I'll look into other designs. For now, this is definitely a lengthy, fun project that I hope some of you can enjoy too.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Going to want 2 brother...cause the back, I'm not brand loyal, just the bolt was a better life style than any other vehicle, cause we got an azure as well

21 - 40 of 44 Posts