Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got you down Grandizer52. What color is your Bolt so I can match the painted letters to it, unless you just want blue? (I think it looks better matched, personally)

For progress, I have completed my first half of my Tron mold and poured a sample front. All looks great so far. I have attached 2 pictures of the top half of the molded part. It has a light texture so the paint adheres nicely, so it should be sweet. Gotta get the right hardness plastic still, but I'm going to attempt the other half of the mold this week if the Coronavirus doesn't shut absolutely everything down. So far,moving forward nicely.

For an EV1 Logo, I'll consider it after I finish the "Bolt" logo. Tron was just for fun, I think for now an emblem saying Bolt will speak to more people, and if I feel I can recoup some of the time and money spent with those I'll look into other designs. For now, this is definitely a lengthy, fun project that I hope some of you can enjoy too.
Hey did you ever start selling these? Some Ahole stole the black bow tie off my bolt and this would be an awesome replacement. Could help take the sting out of the whole thing. Let me know.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for checking in. Your message has gotten me a little more focused on actually completing these things. Covid-19 sure did shut everything down as I was stuck at home for several weeks and the place where I typically get my plastics and silicone for molding were shut down, too. We are trying to pick the pieces up back at work, so most of my time has been put into that, but you have inspired me to take a little time this weekend and try to get these things polished up and ready to go.

I found the plastic I wanted to use- it's hard and can withstand heat to over 240 degrees (I figured the other stuff I was using had a melting point of ~130 degrees, and that wouldn't have stayed on long on the front of the car in the hot summer sun). This stuff has an initial cure time of 2.5 minutes, so I need to master the art of mixing, pouring (and avoiding pouring too fast and getting air bubbles trapped), putting the top half on, and pushing excess material out my mold gates before it hardens. Where I left off, my first one was a massive failure, but my second one looked better from where I left off. So close. I'll keep you guys updated again as I dive into this final leg. Sorry for the delay. I really had some serious momentum going until this whole lockdown thing began.

Best wishes!

Mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah covid 19 has turned everything upside down. I honestly wasn’t sure if I would get a reply for that very reason. Reading over all your posts I could see you’re putting a lot of time & effort into these. The battery and lighting bolt were so cool as was the Tron. Can’t wait to see the progress you make.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Good news! Lots of forward progress this weekend. I ran a few test batches with the fast curing material, and it looks pretty good. This mold material is very liquidy compared to the other materials I was using which help with the flow into all the letters and air bubble evacuation. I've been using different color dyes for each part just so I can keep track of each iteration, and this one I went with two drops of black into my mold which ending up making made a cool silvery/grey. The only downfall is that I get 20 seconds to mix everything, and I can see just a hint of a streak of black dye on the front of the part (see 1st/2nd pics). I took some notes to mix for 30 seconds next time which should hopefully help that.

I then painted the letters black (3rd pic) and put it on my blue bolt to see how it looked (4th thru 7th pics). Colorwise- definitely not. I'm thinking of just sticking with all black molds, even for the silver grilled cars like the metallic black painted Bolt. Otherwise, it'll be very tricky without a lot of extra effort to color match the actual mold to the car being that the silver grilled cars are actually like a mirrory-gray, not just a flat color. So, moving forward, I will be doing all black ones and paint the letters silver to hopefully match the grill.

My last 2 pictures I took the silver one up to the car dealership as they are closed today (Sunday). Nobody was there to bother me, so I checked out the mirrory-silver grill and wanted to see how my silver/gray TRON looked on that. Again, not good :) No gray molds for me.

On a side note, they do make metallic pigments and things I can experiment with later, but for now, I want to finalize these things and get them moving out the door.

One question for you all- I like the thinness of the hood ornament now. I revamped that in my last iteration as it seemed too bulky and stuck out too far. It's still strong but doesn't stick out far now, so I'm happy with that. One aspect I struggle with now is the outside shape of it. The grill almost has a V shape to it, and I have a symmetrical oval shape for the emblem. I have mixed feelings about it. From the side it's fine, but from the front...meh... What do you all think?

Some things I still need to embark on- my clips in the back are a little brittle because they are so thin. My metal prototypes worked great, but thats an entirely different material. I think these would still be fine once they snap into the grill because they take no force after that, but pulling them out of the mold with the little barbed ends runs a risk of breaking them off. I'll try to experiment with a few more runs like before looking at remaking my mold with a more robust clip design. I plan on testing the silver one out for a few days and see how it handles before making any decisions. After that, I expect you guys to give it the longevity test with me. I need to figure out UV resistance and rock chip/paint durability over the long haul.

Hopefully that gives you an update and can see I'm still trying to move forward. The research and development is always the long, hard part. After I master the materials, platforms, and systems, the designs can start churning out!

Attachments

41 - 44 of 44 Posts