Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt LT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Bolt died on me at a stop sign and the service soon light came on. I tried to shift it into drive but it showed “Conditions not right to shift” I had my husband come and help me push it to the side of the road. It was a real chore because the steering felt like a manual steering. Well we left it there for about 1/2 hour until we got back from running the errand I was on my way to do. I got in pushed the start button and it came alive but still had the service soon light on. I was able to shift into drive and drive it the 1/2 mile home.

Off and on about a week before it died on me it was acting like a car that had a traditional transmission that was slipping. It usually happened after transitioning from reverse to drive or low.

I did a google search and found an areticle about the role the 12v battery plays in the operation of the Bolt and the effects that a dying lead acid battery could have on it.
Also shifting from one mode to another too fast as been know to cause the issue. I sometime will inadvertently shift before I start the car ( that may have been the culprit). Anyway I removed the 12v battery (a real chore because they obviously don’t want you to change it out) took it to the parts store to get it tested, came back as 12.3 volts and no discernible issues. Great didn’t have to spend $150.00 to $200.00 for a new battery. Put it back in the Bolt (the alarm goes off when hook the battery back up) got in it and noticed the service soon light was gone and so I drove it around for about 10 minutes with no issues and have been driving it for the past week with no issues.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
Put it back in the Bolt (the alarm goes off when hook the battery back up) got in it and noticed the service soon light was gone
Disconnecting the battery is one way to clear the codes. If it happens again, you might want to find out what codes are being stored. If you don't have an OBD-II reader, just take it to an autoparts store to see if they will read the codes for you. I've taken my vehicles to our local O'Reilly's and they've always read the codes free of charge. One of the reasons they nearly get all my business. Although now, with the Bolt, they don't see me very often.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I did a google search and found an areticle about the role the 12v battery plays in the operation of the Bolt and the effects that a dying lead acid battery could have on it.
And I went the route of placing a battery minder on my 2017 12V battery overnight once a month. I have never had a problem (but neither have thousands of Bolt EV owners who do not regularly trickle-charge.)

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
...it showed “Conditions not right to shift”...
This is one of my pet peeves about the car. The software obviously checks a number of sensors and operational states to make sure that it's safe to engage the motor - is it really too much to ask that they show which one caused the issue?

For example, if you put the car into accessory mode (press "On" for 5 seconds without pressing the brake pedal) and then later try to shift, you get "Conditions not right to shift". Why on earth can't they just say "Can't shift while in Accessory Mode"?

·
Registered
220 Posts
is it really too much to ask that they show which one caused the issue?
Um... you're just supposed to take it to the dealer. They need a special computer that reads....... the....megabytes.

YOU DON'T WANT TO BE DRIVING YOUR FAMILY AROUND LIKE THAT?!?!?!!

:eek:

And to the original poster? You did the right thing. Probably the act of taking the battery out and putting it back in firmed up the connections. Do post back if it goes haywire again!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hm. This reminds me a little of the old Frasier episode when they were stuck by the side of the road because the car died. Niles didn't want to pop the hood because it might void the warranty...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts