·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Looks like the "aero disaster" that many people refer to when they knock the upright hatchback body style isn't such a penalty after all. Obviously if they put the Bolt's drivetrain in a sleek sedan it would go further, but I think the GM engineers did a pretty good job with the shape the design/marketing group gave them. I have my beef with a few aspects of the car (cough cough SEATS cough...) but I'm still impressed by what they achieved.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great news!

It's great to see some positive news on an EV other than a Tesla. Hopefully Chevy sees some increased sales from this...

·
Registered
195 Posts
:DSecond full charge and my Bolt showed 288 miles available, max much more. Same battery size for the LT and Premier. Good job Chevy.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Looks like the "aero disaster" that many people refer to when they knock the upright hatchback body style isn't such a penalty after all. Obviously if they put the Bolt's drivetrain in a sleek sedan it would go further, but I think the GM engineers did a pretty good job with the shape the design/marketing group gave them. I have my beef with a few aspects of the car (cough cough SEATS cough...) but I'm still impressed by what they achieved.
Count me as one of those nay sayers. I am impressed that the Bolt did so well at highway speeds especially compared to what would seem to be a slipperier Tesla. On paper I would have never guessed that outcome. Congrats to the Bolt and the designers.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Without doing all the math this makes sense to me for two simple reasons, weight and tire rolling resistance. I mean I have to assume the course the cars were tested on is not perfectly flat, so there are inclines to deal with and more weight equals more power required to maintain velocity. As for the rolling resistance, the tires on the Bolt are supposed to be Michelin's lowest rolling resistance tires and the ones that come stock on the Model S/X only get the middle grades for rolling resistance. I don't have the actual numbers, can't seem to find them cited anywhere, but rolling resistance does matter, especially over a long test like this.

Bolt - 3,580 lbs - with a drag coefficient of 0.308
Model S 75D - 4,647 lbs (+1,067 lbs - 23% heavier) - with a drag coefficient of 0.24
Model X 90D - 5,267 lbs (+1,687 lbs - 32% heavier) - with a drag coefficient of 0.24

So just looking at those weight difference and knowing there is only a .068 difference in drag coefficient and the Bolt has lower rolling resistance tires, it seems reasonable that the Bolt would beat the mileage numbers of those two.

I would love to see this experiment repeated with the Model S and X on lower rolling resistance tires to see how much extra range they get, I have no idea if it would be enough to change the result, but I am curious.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ohhhh I'd like to see a Bolt sedan with a more aerodynamic body. Even more range at an affordable price!

YES ! I am really enjoying my bolt .. I think this platform in even a Volt body ( or even sleeker / sportier) would be fantastic .

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Ohhhh I'd like to see a Bolt sedan with a more aerodynamic body. Even more range at an affordable price!
Well, if we're wishing... I wish it were a sport wagon. Lower, longer and with a traditional wagon rear end so I could really put some stuff in it! Tight, crisp suspension with at least 1G on the skid pad, bigger motor (with corresponding bigger regen braking) and a two speed gear box with a low ratio to keep up with the Tesla guys, but a taller ratio to still get amazing range.

That would be sweet for me!! Others will no doubt disagree...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
And I will be one of those who disagrees just for the horrible images the word wagon conjures up. All I can see are those old station wagons of ye olden days with wood panels... Practical yes, but that image...

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
And I will be one of those who disagrees just for the horrible images the word wagon conjures up. All I can see are those old station wagons of ye olden days with wood panels... Practical yes, but that image...
OK, how about estate, or combi? That's what the europeans call them. Is that better? What's wrong with wood paneling? I bet you Elon Musk could have Mr. Von Holzhausen put bamboo paneling on the side of the new Model Y and he would be trumpeted as a genius visionary way ahead of his time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts