1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
37 Posts
The big question in my mind: will they make a real, work-oriented truck, or are they going for a "sport" truck? I don't need a truck to 100 MPH, or 0-60 in 2 seconds. I need a truck to haul my stuff around and to tow things. (I don't really need it to tow 15,000# either, but I realize some people do need heavy towing.)

Don't compromise/ruin a pickup truck by trying to make it a sports car.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The big news in my view is the earlier arriving hybrid pickup; the vehicle platform that should have started hybrid technology 20 years ago. There's potential for massive fuel economy improvements there.
GM did offer hybrid pickups in 2004 or so. They were work truck oriented, with 120V outlets for plugging power tools into when at a construction site or similar location. EPA fuel economy was 16/19 for 2WD and 15/17 for 4WD (adjusted for 2008 comparability), better than the non-hybrid GM pickups of the time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
GM offered an all-electric pickup back in the late 1990s, if I recall. I believe it was sold only in the fleet vehicle program. It was not around long.

·
Registered
58 Posts
GM made BEV pickups for a few years around 2000. Quite a few are still around. I knew a guy who had one. They used NiMh batteries. Some people converted them over to lithium-based cells greatly reducing the battery pack weight.

I second the opinon on not making a "sports car" pickup. The Tesla market is different I think in that they want high power, sports performance, whereas most pu drivers have no interest in that, just a truck that has the power needed for towing and hauling and not sports car acceleration. A work type pu has a far larger market than a sports car one I think.

·
Registered
960 Posts
A work type pu has a far larger market than a sports car one I think.
No one may argue with what you think, but the available research shows most pickups are used for commuting with only a office drone aboard. The actual percentage of pickup miles for hauling and towing is the lesser number.

However, what's inarguable is to be successful in the market, a BET must have four doors and be oversized, imposing and penis-extending as possible. Note the too-wide-too-tall-too-long body and tires on all of today's trucks; they make them look that way because that's what sells.

jack vines, who drives a standard cab '04 F250 diesel with a lift gate, usually loaded with engines and/or machinery; it's a work truck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have zero need for a 4 door PU. I'd rather have the shorter wheelbase and/or a "real" bed. Buy a minivan if you want to haul people, or a large SUV if you want to haul people and tow good sized loads

·
Registered
37 Posts
The same power that is required to adequately pull a load up a hill is what enables it to "do 0-60 in 2 seconds". Power is power. I expect any EV pickup truck will also be fast off the line, not by virtue of being designed to race, but by virtue of being capable of hauling a heavy load.
I was just using that to make a point. It would appear that the other commenters "got it" as far as what I was driving at. 0-60 statistics are quoted by everyone trying to impress people with their sports cars/sport trucks. If that stat is a design focus it's an indication to me that the designer is going down a path in which I have no interest. If it's just a by-product of an electric truck that in other ways is designed to do real work, fine. Just don't compromise on the other design issues that might turn it into a showpiece rather than something that can do real work.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
The same power that is required to adequately pull a load up a hill is what enables it to "do 0-60 in 2 seconds". Power is power.
Yeah, except that you can't be accelerating from 0-60 in 2 seconds all day long, whereas you can easily be applying that much power over a long, long period when towing a load. So there's a difference in terms of certifying that the drivetrain can handle the continuous and prolonged power required for towing.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have zero need for a 4 door PU. I'd rather have the shorter wheelbase and/or a "real" bed. Buy a minivan if you want to haul people, or a large SUV if you want to haul people and tow good sized loads
As difficult as it is for old guys to understand, the four-door-short-box is the norm today; by far the most popular. It's doubtful a 2-door or an eight-foot box will be offered as a BET. Look at the Rivian.

My partner just bought a new GMC and assumed, incorrectly, the 'regular cab' would be the least expensive. When he asked for one, he was told "Today, 2-doors are dead; a special order/fleet build only. We (the largest dealer in the northwest) have none in stock and wouldn't ever order one for stock. Even the utilities are buying 4-doors."

jack vines

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
All you have to do is go to Chevrolet.com and the very first vehicle that is presented is a 4-door Pickup.

My neighbor across the street has two 4-door Chevy Pickup's in his driveway now. I think he would literally have a heart attack if you tossed a cinder block in the bed of either of them. To him they are not trucks... they are 4-door transportation.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The local dealer stocks a number of 2WD regular cab work trucks, for those who want a bare bones Silverado. The consumer market really starts with the ever popular double cab LT All Star edition, 4WD version here. I've got one of those. Jokingly call it the official vehicle of Central MI.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So here's the thing - The rancher out in Montana probably can't do with an EV until there's some unforeseeable advance in energy density in batteries. Hauling a trailer full of cows up a dirt mountain road in freezing temperatures is bananas. Problem is, a LOT of people think that's what they need in a truck, but what they really want is:

I actually take that pack. The psywgn was a king cab with a full size bed, so, actually, a pretty honest truck.

No. I bet what people want is a giant truck with a 3 foot bed, three row seating and a massive receiver that's never seen a ball.. just a harley davidson logo. Basically a lifted minivan with the ass sawn off so the cargo can get rained on. That can do 0-60 in 2 seconds. And I think that's totally plausible as an EV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts