Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Some may find Chevy’s new Bolt EV perfect as is and other, like Scott Evans from MotorTrend, thinks it could use a few touch ups for the midcycle refresh.

Just little niggles that could be easily resolved like the non-functional buttons in the center console. Understandably, they were left empty so that Chevy may add more features in the future, but for now the black pieces of plastic grates on Scott’s nerves and he expected more from a $41,780 vehicle. At least the functional and non-functional buttons are grouped accordingly.

Another gripe he has is with the sporadic power steering failure, which he and another editor has experienced three times now. Their only solution when this occurred was to turn the vehicle on and off a few times, but this is just a temporary bandage and not a permanent fix. Even the dealership failed to find the error codes responsible. On top of that, the problem didn’t reoccur at the dealer and now they have to schedule a multiday follow-up appointment.

Then there’s the infotainment system, which failed to boot up on more than one occasion. It’s either stuck on the welcome screen or it shows nothing at all. Once again, the temporary solution is to turn the car on and off a few times.

As with all new models, there will be growing pains and hopefully Chevy will take his feedback into consideration when they update the Bolt.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There's also a paragraph about how bad the seats are!
“Cost most likely explains another common complaint about the Bolt: the front seat bottoms are really narrow. So narrow that even our skinniest staff members have complained that the only way to sit in them comfortably is with your knees together and pointed straight forward at all times. Otherwise, the support structure under the thin thigh bolsters digs into your glutes. Narrow seats are physically smaller, requiring less material and less space, which in turn save money and are lighter, which is good for EV range. This is taking it too far.”

If you agree then please sign this petition to get GM's attention to do something about it:
https://www.change.org/p/general-motors-fix-the-chevy-bolt-s-front-seats

·
Registered
592 Posts
Meh, basically his opinions, and not entirely logical. On the mirrors

It seems like the future, but it’s a much better idea in theory than in practice. The camera displays a fixed, limited field of view. With a mirror, you can broaden your field of view just by changing the angle at which you look at it.
This is a silly argument. The optical view is limited by the whole back of the car and whoever is sitting back there. Plenty of blind spots, and about a 20º FOV. The camera view is completely unobstructed and is a 80º FOV. Moreover it has adaptive dynamic range/dimming for light conditions. The other day the sun was setting directly behind me, the optical view was blinding as you'd expect, but the camera managed it beautifully j- I could see everything just fine, and it had the low contrast but perfectly adequate appearance you get from a modern camera sensor. I can understand not liking it, but don't make up some bad argument. It took me about 20 minutes to get used to and now I leave it on all the time.

Moreover, even with this high-resolution camera, I can see better detail in the traditional mirror than on the video screen, especially at night.
So he's dismayed that his eye has a better resolution than a modern day cellphone camera, which this essentially is? And what does he need all that extra resolution for, counting the nose hairs in the driver behind him?

I also find the change in perspective distracting.
Here we go, the real reason he doesn't like it.

A mirror allows me to see immediately behind me as if I’d turned my head,
Uh, so does a screen. It's just a processed version rather than an optical.

and the camera is like sticking my head out the back window.
THAT'S THE POINT

Giving up on this one.

He has some decent points, but entirely misses many other things that could be improved, instead focusing on his little list of pet peeves.

·
Registered
770 Posts
.... Scott’s nerves and he expected more from a $41,780 vehicle. At least the functional and non-functional buttons are grouped accordingly.
Please!! Someone stop the insanity!

A EV can not be valued by it's price tag/MSRP. I want to use some really foul language here...and comment on how this person even got a job as a journalist after his stint with the Ringling Bros. Corporation....but I wont. Ignoring the tax credit, as to be fair, doesn't apply to everyone - EV's introduce the concept of Total Cost of Ownership to consumers. Yes, I get the fact that TOC may take about 10 more seconds of actual critical thinking. Yes, the fact that most consumers have, shall we say, a challenged capacity with respect in-head calculations does not escape me.

But this gross misconception has to be called out every time a reckless Apples-to-Apples value comparison is made. Or in this case assumed. An ICE car with a $45K price tag, that cost an additional $45K in gasoline and and other maintenance over 8 years, really cost $90,000. An EV, will likely cost $55,000 [car and other expenses] over the same period. Or another way to look at it is the EV cost $35,000 less to own than it's ICE counterpart over time.

Will "beam-me-up-Scotty" be satisfied with the items he thinks the Bolt lacks once he realizes it's really a $10K car?

·
Registered
592 Posts
EV's introduce the concept of Total Cost of Ownership to consumers.
Bingo! However.

I used to design specialty machines that test computer chips, they sold in the million dollar range. When somebody is going to spend a million dollars of company money, they're job is on the line and they spend months in negotiation and research. We had innovations that were more expensive up front, but reduced the ongoing cost of ownership significantly. Problem was, none of our customers bought it. Everything came down to the purchase price, we had a team of marketing people to prove (or perhaps demonstrate) how this would save money over time and pay for itself. It really all came down to upfront cost.

I see the same thing with solar. Everybody I know gets these dinky 3kW systems that ROI in 10 years. I got a 10k system, put my entire house on electric (well except central heat) and my payoff is in 4 years. I paid more up front, but then I'm earning 4-5k/year every year thereafter in saved energy. Electric cars are part of that equation, $300/month in fuel and maintenance is gone.

It would be great for people to get this concept, but don't bet on it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
shotel...

Absolutely right.

These writers are complete idiots. They obviuosly didn't excel in MATH!

I have yet to find a correct article on the internet which clearly shows the cost savings of the Bolt. I may out one together in the forum...

What a complete idiot this guy is...first car to surpass the 200 mile EV barrier and the best he can do is complain about 3 buttons on the dash because they are grouped together...REALLY?

Go back to journalism school!

·
Registered
36 Posts
"$45,000 for 8 years of ownership of an ICE car"
What planet are you from? Even at a paltry 25MPG, gas for a year's driving of 12,000 miles is less than $1000.

·
Registered
592 Posts
"$45,000 for 8 years of ownership of an ICE car"
What planet are you from? Even at a paltry 25MPG, gas for a year's driving of 12,000 miles is less than $1000.
Gas, oil, maintenance (the timing belt that goes after 5 years, the plugs, hoses ...)

IIRC the cost (Edmunds/Consumer Reports or whatever estimate) of ICE is around $300/month depending on gas prices, amortizing in the maintenance. $3.6k/year, $28k/8 years. Don't know what his number includes above but this shows the idea.

·
Registered
770 Posts
What planet are you from?
Depends.

Try planet California. Average gas price today in California is $3.12/gal. 60% of all vehicles purchased this year is a Pickup truck, or SUV. Average MPG (city) of a Pickup/SUV is 19MPG. Average miles driven per year by those 35-45 years old (the largest age demographic) is 15,291.

Driving 15,291 miles per year = 804 gallons of gas at $3.21, or $2583 per year x 8 years = $20,666.
Edmonds shows a 2013 SUV cost $7795 in maintenance, and $3694 in repairs over 5 years. Total $11,489. Extrapolate out over 8 years comes to $18,382.

$20,666 in gas + $18,382 in maintenance = $39,048. Hummm... I stand corrected.

Some folks here have 100 Mile daily commutes, that puts them well over 25,000 miles/year, some have 15 mile commutes. Some live in California. Some live in Texas. Some have children to chauffeur around, some don't.

It's not the number I tossed out that's the message, it's the individual calculus that's the message.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'll tell you what mid-cycle refresh the Bolt needs...

Cover up that stupid piece of chrome trim above the center display! At the right time of day when driving in the right direction: BAM! Sun reflection right into your eyes!

Who's "bright" idea was it to put a shiny strip of metal right in front of the driver to reflect the sun? It's happened to me twice and once was too much!

The trim might look nice, but it's totally non-functional and unnecessary. Paint it any other color and make it satin or textured, but not glossy.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Gas, oil, maintenance (the timing belt that goes after 5 years, the plugs, hoses ...)

IIRC the cost (Edmunds/Consumer Reports or whatever estimate) of ICE is around $300/month depending on gas prices, amortizing in the maintenance. $3.6k/year, $28k/8 years. Don't know what his number includes above but this shows the idea.
I guess we won't know what the true and total cost of ownership is until people have owned Bolts for a few years. Are Bolts as maintenance-free as we hope they are? How about all these clever "cooling this, cooling that" systems? Don't EV's have suspension and other mechanical parts that do wear out? What is the real price of typical repairs? What would it cost to insure a $37K Bolt - as much as a non-Bolt of the same price? How often will the owners have to use a fast charger for $5.00-$10.00 a session at current prices?

All these will be adding up.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I checked the optical versus camera rear view mirror. I'm sorry but this writer is completely full of it. What is he thinking? The idea that you can move your head and magically get a wider angle of view doesn't jive optically (my degrees are in physics and I studied optics as an undergrad, I could calculate and prove it - but I didn't need to). Just try it, you get a few more degrees, but that's it. Then the back obstructions get in the way, or the passenger you might have, or your head, plus the optics is all wrong to see that much anyhow.

Laughing my butt off at the silly ideas he wrote up here. Chevy knew some people would like the reverse camera mirror and others not, so they gave you the option. Don't ***** about it and make up fake reasons why it's not good! Idiot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The "empty buttons" mentioned are because the European Opel Ampera is NOT allowed to have all the steering wheel functions that we have.
So in the US we have empty Dash buttons and in Europe they have non used steering wheel functions.

Unless you have the Spy vs Spy model :D

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
The "empty buttons" mentioned are because the European Opel Ampera is NOT allowed to have all the steering wheel functions that we have.
So in the US we have empty Dash buttons and in Europe they have non used steering wheel functions.

Unless you have the Spy vs Spy model :D
OK, this is an subtly hilariously excellent post. Great picture.

Just think how this panel of buttons could be optimized...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cover up that stupid piece of chrome trim above the center display! At the right time of day when driving in the right direction: BAM! Sun reflection right into your eyes!

Who's "bright" idea was it to put a shiny strip of metal right in front of the driver to reflect the sun? It's happened to me twice and once was too much!

The trim might look nice, but it's totally non-functional and unnecessary. Paint it any other color and make it satin or textured, but not glossy.
I know, it's not what you want to hear on a $45k car, but that's the price of been an early adopter. Just try a pice of electrical tape over it for now instead of painting anything over it, especially if it's a lease.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I know, it's not what you want to hear on a $45k car, ....
Where there are expectations, there must be a reference. What other car(s) with similar EV range and price are we comparing to? To my knowledge, these do not really exist (yet). So, I wonder where the expectations come from.

In so many words, it has been said before, but is it conceivable that a low or mid range (in terms of quality / trim level) EV is equally or even more expensive than a premium ICE car? They are simply different things.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, none of this will be in the 2018 Bolt. The order guide was just released and consists of:

1. Replacement of the heated steering wheel with the automatic heated steering wheel as a standalone option and on the Comfort & Convenience Package
2. Deletion of front passenger seatback map pocket as standard equipment on 2LT trim level

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well, none of this will be in the 2018 Bolt. The order guide was just released and consists of:

1. Replacement of the heated steering wheel with the automatic heated steering wheel as a standalone option and on the Comfort & Convenience Package
2. Deletion of front passenger seatback map pocket as standard equipment on 2LT trim level
WHaaaaaaa? Show us a link or it didn't happen >:)

Found it

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/chevrolet-bolt-ev/2018-chevrolet-bolt-ev/2018-chevrolet-bolt-ev-updates-changes-new-features/

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not yet trusted to post links, but thanks for including it. Pretty underwhelming, but perhaps not totally unexpected.

I was waiting to see if I should pull the trigger on a 2017. Last piece is that NY is considering a sales tax exemption, but that likely won't happen this year.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I was fortunate to hit at the right time. 5k in dealer and local rebates, 7.5k in fed and 2.5k in state. Now I know that 2018 isn't bringing anything new I would have regretted.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts