Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I'm now a member of the Bolt EV owner's club. Ta Daa !
I delayed my purchase until September, betting that Chevy would have additional incentives. Which turned out to be marginally correct.
Anyway, I leased a Summit White Premier with the Driver's Confidence II option. My plan was to lease 15k miles / 36 month term with a one-pay. My lease deal was good but not excellent because at the last minute I discovered that gap insurance does not cover pre-paid lease payments. My household insurance, Safeco, has "gap", but during my purchase negotiation at the Chevy dealer, my agent called with the news that pre-payments weren't covered. And GM Finance's gap does not cover a one-pay either. So my lease cost expanded from ~ 0 % interest to 2.4% interest over 36 payments.
I leased my Bolt from T&C Chevrolet in Ashland, Oregon. T&C Chevy is excellent to work with. Low pressure, product knowledgeable, reasonable and clearly explained the lease contract and all associated paperwork. They treated me fairly - although thanks to this forum, ChevyBolt.org, plus CarGurus.com, LeaseHacker,com and LeaseGuide.com I knew what I was doing.
See the attached photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Congrats on the new car purchase.

Why pay for more insurance than you have to? You're unlikely to need it, especially since you got the "driver's confidence II" package. Even if you get in an at-fault accident and the gap isn't covered, you won't starve to death, or suffer any other devastating loss.

Insurance premiums, however they are collected, are a guaranteed loss.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

The smoke is very noticeable in your pic - are times like these how "Ashland" got it's name :laugh: ?

Don't forget you need to rinse the ash off - don't wipe it with a cloth.
Not as bad as the Mt St Helens fallout, but it's still abrasive and could mar the paint.

Don't need insurance if you have the "Drivers Confidence II" package? Really?
And to most people, a $10K+ loss would impact them significantly. Starve? Probably not. Hopefully Red didn't notice (or maybe understand?) the reference to a one-pay lease?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I didn't anticipate one-pay not being covered by my household insurance because I was under the impression that my pre-payments would be covered. There is probably a carrier out there with a gap policy that would cover the "insured". But I needed the vehicle for my business (I'm a C21 Realtor and the Bolt EV is my new Real Estate ride) and I needed a white car for my C21 graphics. I'd used up my "delayed gratification" by holding off the purchase for months. So I went forward with the lease deal. Also this is a business expense.
ALSO: I knew that this white Bolt EV had been sitting on a HOT dealer lot for three summer months of 100 degree temperatures - and leased it anyway. I'll keep you posted about the HV battery's health.
The smoke in Southern Oregon is so thick you can cut it with a knife. And, yes, it is "snowing" fine ashes. This situation has been with us for weeks and I worry about the health of my horse and mule and all the birds and wild critters that live around here. ��������

Attachments

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
The way I understand it, gap insurance covers the difference in price between a new vehicle and one just driven off a lot. If someone were to get in an accident shortly after purchase, insurance would pay for a used vehicle in similar condition, but not a new vehicle. I'm not familiar with insuring a leased vehicle, but I assume it works in a similar way.

...and the ash is in my house. No AC, so windows have to be opened up in the evening when it cools off. I've got ash on my keyboard as I type. Hopefully we get a little rain soon.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I didn't anticipate one-pay not being covered by my household insurance because I was under the impression that my pre-payments would be covered. There is probably a carrier out there with a gap policy that would cover the "insured". But I needed the vehicle for my business (I'm a C21 Realtor and the Bolt EV is my new Real Estate ride) and I needed a white car for my C21 graphics. I'd used up my "delayed gratification" by holding off the purchase for months. So I went forward with the lease deal. Also this is a business expense.
ALSO: I knew that this white Bolt EV had been sitting on a HOT dealer lot for three summer months of 100 degree temperatures - and leased it anyway. I'll keep you posted about the HV battery's health.
The smoke in Southern Oregon is so thick you can cut it with a knife. And, yes, it is "snowing" fine ashes. This situation has been with us for weeks and I worry about the health of my horse and mule and all the birds and wild critters that live around here. ��������
If you are interested, there is a Southern Oregon Electric Vehicle Association and they are right there in Ashland. They came up to an OEVA meeting last year and we helped get them set up as a chapter of the EAA and a 501(c)(3) charity.
http://soheva.net/
James S. is the president. They are (were?) a small group, but a good place to connect and maybe show off the Bolt at different events if you have the time/desire.

The way I understand it, gap insurance covers the difference in price between a new vehicle and one just driven off a lot. If someone were to get in an accident shortly after purchase, insurance would pay for a used vehicle in similar condition, but not a new vehicle. I'm not familiar with insuring a leased vehicle, but I assume it works in a similar way.

...and the ash is in my house. No AC, so windows have to be opened up in the evening when it cools off. I've got ash on my keyboard as I type. Hopefully we get a little rain soon.
On a leased vehicle, the leasing company is the owner and would get paid for the current market value. If you prepay your lease (all in a "one-pay" or some as a "down payment"), you would not be compensated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts