Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yup. Weber Auto has been doing this for a cople of years, and there are other threads about it.

For anyone that's not aware of them...they're awesome. You'll wonder where the time went after watching them.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I've watched the whole thing through. What seems strange to me is physical shift linkages. Why does it need to be physically shifted?
There's a parking pawl that engages the gears to prevent them from turning when the shifter is in the "P" position. For simplicity's sake, they're using the same part to engage that pawl as they use in their conventional transmissions. But in the Bolt it doesn't really do anything except when the shifter is in "P".

·
Registered
22 Posts
The HV Components video is a reference to me, I keep rewatching it, hoping that some of those names will stick in my head. :p

So far I only have Single Power Inverter Module and Drive Unit memorized lol

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
There's a parking pawl that engages the gears to prevent them from turning when the shifter is in the "P" position. For simplicity's sake, they're using the same part to engage that pawl as they use in their conventional transmissions. But in the Bolt it doesn't really do anything except when the shifter is in "P".
As I recall (it's been a while), there is a shift linkage that rotates a sensor that tells the car what "gear" it's in. Maybe that was a video for a different EV though...

If I recall correctly, the lubrication/cooling fluid only circulates in the Bolt when it's in D or L. Shift to N and it's not pumping the lubricant. That's good to know for me, because I'd be inclined to use N since the Bolt has no coast mode. Guess I'd just try to get close by feathering the accelerator.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
As I recall (it's been a while), there is a shift linkage that rotates a sensor that tells the car what "gear" it's in. Maybe that was a video for a different EV though...

If I recall correctly, the lubrication/cooling fluid only circulates in the Bolt when it's in D or L. Shift to N and it's not pumping the lubricant. That's good to know for me, because I'd be inclined to use N since the Bolt has no coast mode. Guess I'd just try to get close by feathering the accelerator.
Your recollections are correct.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've watched the whole thing through. What seems strange to me is physical shift linkages. Why does it need to be physically shifted?
A lot of what doesn't make immediate sense regarding automotive design can typically be explained by cost or safety. This smells like safety. Two different controllers so if one goes out to lunch the other won't execute erroneous commands. The separation is the physical actuator, probably already proven in another GM vehicle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts