Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Chevy’s Bolt EV is the first affordable electric vehicle to hit the market so a few glitches here and there are to be expected. But one owner in Southern California claims that his Bolt turned itself on, shifted into reverse, and backed into his garage work bench.

The incident occurred whilst he was out of town in the family’s third vehicle, both keys were outside of the Bolt, it was turned off and put into park from the night before and nobody was around it when the crash happened.

At the time, his wife was the only one at home and there were no kids around. When his wife heard the crash she immediately rushed to the garage to take a look. What she found were locked doors, a dark dash, and when the Bolt was turned on the car was still in Park.

Some may wonder if the missus may have accidently backed into the work bench, but the owner stated that she’s in love with her own vehicle and had no interested in the Bolt.

Admittedly the Bolt was parked without engaging the electronic parking brake, as seen from this excerpt from GM Inside News:

“I did not press the P (parking brake) button on the left side of the shifter.

I did this:

1. Hold the brake pedal down.
2. Press the button on top of the shift lever to shift into P (Park).
3. The P indicator on the shift lever turned red when the vehicle went into P (Park).
4. Turn the vehicle off.
5. Exited vehicle, and the vehicle’s horn sounded and the doors locked.”
GM has reached out to the owner and dispatched an engineer and representative to inspect the Bolt’s black box data.

·
Registered
786 Posts
That was a "gremlin" sent by the Tesla fanboys>:) who did that!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'm skeptical that it actually turned itself on and backed into the bench without any human intervention. Maybe it really did happen, or maybe the owner didn't want the Bolt. Apparently he went on a rant the past December because he didn't receive his Bolt in time for the 2016 tax credit.

We'll just have to wait for the final work from GM, they're going to take this very seriously since it's the first Bolt incident so far.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I'm skeptical that it actually turned itself on and backed into the bench without any human intervention. Maybe it really did happen, or maybe the owner didn't want the Bolt. Apparently he went on a rant the past December because he didn't receive his Bolt in time for the 2016 tax credit.

We'll just have to wait for the final work from GM, they're going to take this very seriously since it's the first Bolt incident so far.
Here's the timeline for Mr. "My Bolt Went Skynet":

• picked up a Bolt LT on 31 Dec (probably was rushing to purchase before the year was over to qualify for the fed tax credit). Expresses regrets it did not have in car NAV like the salesman told him it did. Recommends buying a Premier over an LT.
  • in the same post, also complains about the stereo, Apple Carplay, no Honelink, and lack of rain sensing wipers. Also makes a critical comment about the shifter.
  • sums up the price is too high for a standard Bolt that "lacks basic features"
  • later admits he rushed the purchase to cash in on the tax credit
And a week later, what happens? We get the "My Bolt Went Skynet" post!

Look up "buyer remorse" in the dictionary, and this guy's photo pops up. Along with a secret video clip of his wife backing his Bolt into the garage workbench. :D

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts

• picked up a Bolt LT on 31 Dec (probably was rushing to purchase before the year was over to qualify for the fed tax credit). Expresses regrets it did not have in car NAV like the salesman told him it did. Recommends buying a Premier over an LT.
  • in the same post, also complains about the stereo, Apple Carplay, no Honelink, and lack of rain sensing wipers. Also makes a critical comment about the shifter.

Look up "buyer remorse" in the dictionary, and this guy's photo pops up. Along with a secret video clip of his wife backing his Bolt into the garage workbench. :D
Sounds about right. I'm assuming he said all this other stuff on some other forum?

Sadly, in our society, whiny, complainy piss ants usually get taken care of and get what they want. I'm sure GM will say "Operator error" and then he will threaten a lawsuit. After that, the dealer will likely take the car back and he'll end up with some extra spending cash to fix his crappy workbench, for inconvenience and for emotional distress. Just the way it seems to go these days.:mad:

Of course there is the remote chance he's telling the truth and the car really did go rogue.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Look up "buyer remorse" in the dictionary, and this guy's photo pops up. Along with a secret video clip of his wife backing his Bolt into the garage workbench. :D[/QUOTE

If you are right, how on earth would he refute the event data recorder's information. Which would show car unlocked, turned on, put in reverse and accelerator depressed.
I have no idea what happened here, but surely he can't be crazy enough to think that he can get away with this if it is a bogus claim.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts

Look up "buyer remorse" in the dictionary, and this guy's photo pops up. Along with a secret video clip of his wife backing his Bolt into the garage workbench. :D[/QUOTE

If you are right, how on earth would he refute the event data recorder's information. Which would show car unlocked, turned on, put in reverse and accelerator depressed.
I have no idea what happened here, but surely he can't be crazy enough to think that he can get away with this if it is a bogus claim.
It could be this guy honestly thinks his Bolt crashed itself in his garage, and is basing that off of what his wife told him, which he is taking to be 100% true.

If he truly believes his wife and what she said and believes his Bolt could have started and crashed on its own, it actually makes sense for him to contact GM about it.

I think we will all find out soon that the truth hurts, however.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I think we will all find out soon that the truth hurts, however.
IMHO we should suspend the rush to judgement until we hear more. Yeah, I agree it sounds suspicious, but that would be true even if the car really did do something weird.

And the last thing we want (although it's probably too late) is for people to stop reporting problems for fear of being ridiculed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
response and results of this issue

FYI, not all of those comments were actually said, but here are the results of the actual issue at hand.

Last Updates - finally received a final call.

10 days ago, I received a envelope in the mail with a report with total detail called an air bag report. Didn't expect or need it, since it never deployed, and the report means nothing with only pages of diagnostic codes on them.

Today I received a phone call from GM claims department (funny since I never submitted receipts or amounts), and she simply said, the "claim was denied because the car operated as it should have", and that "GM will be sending a letter stating the claim was denied".

I then asked if in the report the letter had any specific details about the diagnostic scans, and the sequence of events that happened, and how and what happened.

She said no, "the only info she has and could send are the reports I already have with the diagnostic codes on them".

So simply put as I see them, GM is simply denying any responsibility and not being open and honest about the sequence of events, probably because there is more to this, and knowing for such a minor non injury issue (thank god), there would be no reason for us or anyone to go to a lawyer and file a lawsuit in order to Subpoena for the detailed records.

So yes, after all this team we basically knew GM would "NEVER" accept any responsibility for anything, nor would they be Open and Honest, because could or might open a can of worms.

So YES, I accept and have paid for and am paying for this mistake of not using the Parking Brake and not having a garage cam. I am now putting it in Park (like it does automatically), using the Parking Brake, and in addition I AM using Wheel Chocks/Blocks. PLUS I now have a garage cam.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts