Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Bolt EV recall: Chevy software update to fix battery fire risk in April

12K views 48 replies 31 participants last post by  rgmichel 
#1 ·
Breaking News - Chevrolet has modified their Bolt EV Recall page to indicate that a final software fix will be available in April. They cite "state of the art software" and a return to 100% of capacity.

Read here for a deeper dive into this, especially considering Hyundai seems ready to replace their batteries.

#3 ·
I'm gonna see how the folks at the Korean EV forum will react to this. This software-only update is the sort of thing that Hyundai did to Kona last year, especially the early detection of failure part. But at least one unfortunate Kona burst into flames even with that particular update done. I believe that was part of the reason why Hyundai had to consider doing the complete battery replacement.

#4 ·
I just received an email from GM saying that my car (VIN #...) needed to have the recall done and that the full charge would be limited to 90%. This is a little surprising considering I performed the recall update months ago. However, that update only limited my charge to 95%... and took away Hilltop. Am I missing something? Have there been two recall updates, or did the dealership perform it incorrectly? Is anyone else limited to 95% instead of 90%? Any insights would be appreciated. Really not looking forward to having to take the car in yet again...

#7 ·
I will not be accepting this newly announced software "fix". It does not fix the problem of dendrites growing through the separators. It might allow GM to try to single out which cars must have the battery replaced immediately, in order to prevent the cost of a massive battery replacement campaign. The problem would still lurk in every one of the recalled cars, and could become a major problem requiring a major repair at any time. That will ultimately mean that all early model Bolts will be "tainted" and suffer from reduced resale values. The "fix" is not a fix for consumers at all. It's a fix only for the bottom line at GM.

#10 ·
If you are bullish on the software fix not working... Always charge your battery to full. Leave it fully charged over the summer, without plugging in while at 100F + temperatures. After a week of sitting in the hot sun, jump on the freeway, drive 93mph and blast the AC.... and this last part is important, with THE WINDOWS DOWN. Rinse and repeat over the course of the summer. You should have a nice crispy Bolt in no time at all! Then simply let GM pick up the charred remains and then deliver a new car to your doorstep. Who's with me?

#11 ·
I'm very happy to hear that a fix may be ready in April. Today I got a third email saying to take it in for the 90% limit. Nope. I installed a wireless linked smoke detector in the garage out of an abundance of caution, but it's not like Bolts are burning up at an alarming rate, and nobody has been hurt in 300,000 vehicle-years. Another couple months will be fine. I'll be satisfied if the recall is resolved by new firmware that doesn't reduce range. I would only become concerned if a Bolt burns subsequent to getting the fix.

#12 ·
We are in a very fortunate situation with our Bolt. We are retired, and don't drive much, so normally charge to hilltop. On the few occasions we do a long drive, I charge to 100% just before we leave. Our garage is 150 feet from the house. After we are both vaccinated, and folks have reported back on how the "fix" works, we will consider it. Our main interest is till how quickly our battery will degrade.

#13 ·
The article title is very misleading. The software "as a fix" is only meant to detect potential fire risks. We will not see any limited capabilities as a result of the software, so the only assumption should be, if the software detects a fire risks in one of the modules, sections, or battery overall, those at-risk sections will be replaced.

#15 ·
Since the lemon laws in my state are terrible, I'm basically forced to accept GM's fix. That or sell the car.

Another thing to consider is even if GM said they would replace batteries, that isn't going to happen quickly. People like me that live in an EV desert will probably be at the end of the list. With Hyundai needing batteries, if GM also did the same, I'm sure I'd be in for a long wait. I'd probably be waiting for over a year.

I've got about 6.5 yrs left on my 8 yr battery warranty. If I own the car another 6.5 years I guess I'll have to make a decision whether I want to continue to own it once my battery is out of warranty. By that time we should know if GM's fix is a good one.

A Mach-E would be cool. So would a Model Y. I could tell myself that this whole battery issue is good reason to abandon the Bolt and get something else. But reality is for the way I drive and use a vehicle right now, the Bolt is the perfect car for me. It makes the most sense financially to keep driving the Bolt, and that is most likely what I'll do.

#19 ·
What if the software counts the number of cycles to 100% with a finite limit. Or gives unlimited 100% charges but prevents charging to 100% if the battery temperature exceeds a predetermined threshold? Just throwing out some random thoughts on the subject.

#33 ·
My Q also. There are threads elsewhere on this forum where the dealer has refused to apply the cold wx DCFC fix for free. I suspect they are totally separate fixes, and we may not automatically get the DCFC fix when we get the smoking battery fix. Anyone have more info on how that might work?

#22 ·
The only thing about this battery recall stuff that bothers me is the amount of email and snail-mail I'm getting from GM, asking me to take it in for recall service. I activated the hill-top reserve, I doubt it's going to turn crispy any time soon. I would have to drive 50+ miles to the nearest Chevy dealer that has a Bolt certified mechanic, (probably some computer geek with a laptop!) and probably wait around there for 2-3 hours for the scheduled 45 minute service. Thanks but no thanks, GM. I have better things to do with my time.

Let me know when you're done trying to figure out the cheapest way forward for you

. I remember the GM pickup side mounted gas tank 'fix', $1000 off an GM product that was not a Saturn or a Chevyzuki (Geo Tracker 4x4). I owned one of those pickups, a 78 3/4t Chevy. Although I never was traumatized by owning and driving that pickup, I was rather nonplussed by the 'settlement'. The lawyers that brought the class action suit to the courts made out like bandits. I had just bought a new car and wasn't even close to needing another car at that time. Even though the certificate was transferable I decided to toss it since no one I knew at the time was interested in using it. A testament to the quality of product for GM back in the mid 90's.

The only other class action lawsuit I was part of for an auto was VW's 'dieselgate' debacle. I bought a brand new 2013 VW Jetta TDI Premium. Nice car, and I wish I still had it. I told everyone I know that this would be the last car I'll ever own. Since I was well into my 60s at the time, and I only drive about 700 miles per year it seemed safe to think that. Just doing the math I think I'd have to make it to 90 to get a full 200k out of that Jetta.

Then came the bad news in summer of 2016, VW had gotten caught cheating on the diesel emissions. Over on TDI Club forums the speculation quickly ramped up about the fix, which everyone assumed was going to hamstring the TDI cars 32-35mpg range, and for VW to put some money in your pocket to help pay for the extra fuel burn. I averaged 40.1mpg over 3.5 years & 24,000 miles, and not one problem. When the 'fix' was announced it stunned quite a few people, including myself. You could either keep the car, get some money and wait for the fix, and subsequent loss of mpg, or sell back to VW. VW posted a spreadsheet a few weeks after the announcement. I paid $24,974 OTD, and VW was offering me $25,925 to return it to them, or $6200 to keep it and get the fix. I'm no dummy, I took the $25k. I mean, ****, they're offering me almost $1k more than I paid OTD? I get 24k miles for better than free? Well, Okay!

I liked the TDI well enough to buy another one. It's a 2013 WV Golf. It gets 41+mpg in stock form. I don't drive it much since the Bolt has such great range. I routinely go 100 miles round trip taking my younger brother to some of his Dr. appointments. At 90% charge I'm still left with anywhere from 70-90 miles of range left.

Shortly after I sold the Jetta back to VW, I bought a used/off lease Nissan Leaf SL, the TOTL Leaf for 2012. I'd always wanted an all-electric. The Leaf was a hard lesson in EV's in terms of range. I live in a somewhat remote area in a town of 7k people. I started feeling like I lived on a island! While I could go 22 miles west to an adjacent town I didn't often have a good reason to. And the town 25 miles to the east was something of a stretch, I got range anxiety every time I went there. I'd get home with as low as 5-10 miles left on the GOM. Not good, and forget it in winter if I wanted to stay warm doing it. It wasn't going to happen. After almost 3 years of owning that car I sold it, and got back all but $800 of the $9200 OTD I paid for it! It was a well appointed car, but why would you need a navigation system with such a short range? After a full charge on the Leaf I would see anywhere from 70-75 miles of range. The only way I could get that kind of range is to drive at 25-40mph. Drive anywhere in my town for longer than 3 miles and you're on 60mph roadway.

#34 ·
20-NA-053 is the reference number I was given. My repurchase contact said since it's not recall connected I would have to talk to the dealer. I called my local dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about and would have to contact GM (or is it "gm"?) and get back to me. But it would not be free.
That was the other day and haven't heard anything.

#39 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what you're referring to. The battery issue is specific to 2017, 2018, and about half of the 2019 models. Part way through the 2019 MY they began using batteries made in the US and have been ever since. Those are not a part of this recall and aren't subject to any charging cap.

If your charge is being limited to 90% then you have your charge limiter set to 90%. Go in and change it.

This post has been deleted
#41 ·
Has any one heard about this class action investigation into the bolt battery fires and defects?
SPAM. Seriously, I can't be the only one to notice that this account was just created and almost all the posts point you to ONE lawyer. SPAM.

#43 ·
Just talked to the Customer Activity Manager / Southeast Region.
He said everyone in GM is dedicated to fixing the Bolt. They know the future of GM depends on them getting batteries and cars that are safe and dependable.
GM has to work through their dealers and within the states lemon laws. I told him I would rather work with Donohoo Chevy and he laughed and said I was the second one of the day to say the same thing.
He said to get the best deal, if I want to stay with a Bolt, is to take the cash repurchase option. Turn the car into Donohoo and buy the replacement car from them. All the incentives and rebates are in place which will let the dealer offer the best price.
He said I should have my numbers mid next week. He said to then look at Donihoo's inventory and let them know what I want and when I can come turn my car in and buy theirs.
He told me GM wants to make every Bolt owner happy, he said the company depends on the fix they have and just need a little more time to make sure. They don't want a fixed car to burn.

#45 ·
Hi everyone, my first post at this site. I bought a used (was a lease) 2017 last year just before the recall came out. I took it to the local dealer and they de-rated the battery. I'm glad the "fix" will be available soon. Love the car. Thanks for having the forum!

I'm writing because I have not seen another post that covers what happened to me. When the dealer applied the software change, my full-charge range dropped to 160 miles. However, I found that if I accelerate quickly at least once while driving, I can increase the full-charged range to 205 miles. I think this is due to the battery situation where the cells are not all charged to the same level, and somehow "punching it" causes the battery voltages to equalize somewhat.

Anyone else see this?

#46 ·
...if I accelerate quickly at least once while driving, I can increase the full-charged range to 205 miles. I think this is due to the battery situation where the cells are not all charged to the same level, and somehow "punching it" causes the battery voltages to equalize somewhat.
That is totally weird and I haven't seen anyone else mention anything like it. I struggle to conceptualize a scenario where this could be a real cause and effect...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.