Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone guide me on remote start of the Bolt ( mine is a Premier, 2018) using the key fob? I have followed the user manual instructions, "press and hold lock button, then immediately press and hold the remote start button for 4 secs or until the lights respond ". The key fob is communicating with the car certainly; the lights respond to both the lock and remote start buttons. But, the car HVAC doesn't respond (the instrument panel and header unit don't boot up). I have not been able to get the Key Pass on the MyChrovelet app to work either. I am not subscribing to Onstar. Any words of wisdom are welcome.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Following thread...

I get the same result. No HVAC with key fob start up. However I do get HVAC with the My Chevy App precondition.

If that is really the case I see no reason to actual start up the vehicle with the key fob ever.

·
Registered
687 Posts
This post from NY-Rob may help:
I know that if you remote start using the FOB, the climate control activates at the state it was in when you last turned the car off. So if it's a warm evening but it's expected to be cold in the morning- remember to turn the heat on before powering down for the last time else the pre-conditioning will do nothing in the morning. That one got me a couple of times with the Volt. :eek:

IIRC, if you pre-condition via one of the apps, it automatically sets the climate control at 72F, even if the climate control was off when you powered down the vehicle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This post from NY-Rob may help:
I know that if you remote start using the FOB, the climate control activates at the state it was in when you last turned the car off. So if it's a warm evening but it's expected to be cold in the morning- remember to turn the heat on before powering down for the last time else the pre-conditioning will do nothing in the morning. That one got me a couple of times with the Volt. :eek:

IIRC, if you pre-condition via one of the apps, it automatically sets the climate control at 72F, even if the climate control was off when you powered down the vehicle.
Thank you, that helped. My particular use case involves charging the car at home, in an unheated garage. We tend to leave the key fob in the car, as there no need to bring it inside. Then if you attempt to remote start the Bolt with the spare key fob it won't actuate the HVAC to warm up the car. The presence of the [other] fob in the car prevents this. I found that by turning on the HVAC as you suggested before turning off the car, and having the fob outside the car, the remote start works as intended.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't know if you're familiar with them, but there are some "Faraday bags" available, whose purpose is to block the signal from your key fob. I don't know what reasons you have for leaving your fob in the car, but I'll just point out that if you put the fob in one of these bags, the car wouldn't know the fob was in the car. In which case, from what you have learned, the car would behave differently if you remote-start it using the spare fob.

I recently did a couple tests: First I wrapped my fob in aluminum foil and put it in my pocket. Under these conditions, the car doors would not unlock, and the car wouldn't start. Next, I have a vintage "soap tin" = a chrome-plated metal box the size of a bar of soap. I put my fob in that box, and got the same results as the aluminum foil. I'm thinking about using this to leave the fob in my car when I park it in a charging space at the airport when I'm on business trips, to enable someone to move my car from the space if they need the space while I'm away.

I believe the Faraday bags are more convenient to use on a daily basis than my Al foil & soap box...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Keep the key fob in your pocket or purse (depending on gender). Don't leave it in the car overnight. Problem solved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Indeed. This would be the ordinary solution, but we have 3 drivers, who drive our Bolt. To stop rows over who has the key, where did you put it last etc., we leave it in the car. Which is fine, as it's in our closed garage, so no chance of theft. This is just when parked at home, not when out and about ?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Or perhaps get a third key, so each person is responsible for their own, and no arguments about it.
(I'm assuming that the Bolt will allow three active keys)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts