Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
"Creaking issues" c'mon; it's on an individual's blog, so it must be true.

As a counterpoint, from Torque News blog by Steve Birkett :
IMHO, Steve is just another Bolt owner who has a blog, so his experiences carry little more weight than any other member here; but who're ya gonna believe?

Any of us are free to believe as we choose, but anecdotally and statistically, the Bolt is essentially trouble-free for most owners. To get a sense of real problems, read most any other car forum and the issues other marques have are larger, more serious and more likely to leave one stranded. The "creaking problem" and most other ant-**** issues brought up here are only noteworthy because the mainframe/powerplant/battery are so dead-nuts reliable.

jack vines
I have no idea what type of logic you use... First you say " it's on an individual's blog, so it must be true." as discrediting the individual and then you say "Steve is just another Bolt owner who has a blog, so his experiences carry little more weight than any other member here; but who're ya gonna believe?"

There is a 5 page thread about people here having issues with their sway bars and other problems causing creaking. This is a small forum, so the issues are relevant. My point was not that the Bolt was an unreliable car, but people post someone having an issue with a Tesla battery out of warranty past 125,000 miles. ALL cars will have issues. It just so happens that many of the EV's have many less issues. Creaking issues may not be an issue in a ICE vehicle because engine noise could make the noise less noticeable. With an EV we hear more wind noise and creaks. They make kits for most vehicles to try to reduce outside noise in additional seals. My experience has also been trouble free, but I also know a co-worker with a Bolt that has had a battery replaced recently. It was the same issue as a few people here had recently had.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I went to CarMax once. They gave me a quote of $2500 on a 1998 Buick LeSabre, at the time the car was 8 years old and it was in great shape. I told them they were nuts and walked. Sold it for $4200 using Craigslist. I'll probably never go back to them.
I see no problem with this at all. You are asking them to sell the car for you. They front you the money and it sits on the lot and they take on the liability. It could sit on the lot for 5 days or 5 months. They are there to provide a service. You think that's a screwing, go to one of those storefront loan places, the interest rates there can be triple digits.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Tesla has some really strong positive points, but the strong negatives are there as well. Speaking just for myself, I'd never buy any Tesla until they change their business and manufacturing practices dramatically...
Don't see any need for an extended exchange here, it's okay to see things differently. Speaking just for myself, their business and manufacturing practices are exactly why I'd want to buy them. I don't see them as strong negatives at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't see any need for an extended exchange here, it's okay to see things differently. Speaking just for myself, their business and manufacturing practices are exactly why I'd want to buy them. I don't see them as strong negatives at all.
Shady business practices like pre-selling capabilities they will never deliver (full self driving) and covering up dangerous product defects by limiting capabilities are positives? Poor QC on manufacturing and service is a positive?

Meh, have at it then...

·
Registered
52 Posts
The best deal in used EV's IMO is the tesla used inventory for the Model S. I would never buy the 60 kWh version because of the low range. You either get a 2 year warranty to 100,000 miles or a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty. These warranties on used cars are better than on most new vehicles. The battery pack and drive unit expires in September 2021 for me at which point I will be pushing 180,000 miles on the car. I have the 85 kWh battery and it still charges to almost 250 out of the original 265 miles.
Have you been following the issues people have been having with Teslas of that vintage lately? By way of over the air updates, Tesla has been limiting pack voltage (reducing range), slowing charging speed, and limiting regeneration (no more one pedal driving) for many (many!) cars like yours. There’s an NHTSA investigation and a lawsuit. Speculation (which looks solid) is that this is an attempt to limit warranty replacement and/or recalls of defective batteries that can lead to fires.

Just hope that you don‘t become one of those impacted...

61 - 67 of 67 Posts