Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
News Coulomb on youtube may be the first person to take the Bolt EV on a short road trip, but he hit a snag (rock) and punctured a tire. So that was a short trip for him. This is straight from someone who used to own a Volt and now a Bolt. It's amazing how well the Bolt retains a change.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I was kinda hoping to see if they would show if the tpms showed the decline in pressure as it was going down but it seems they started videoing after it was fully deflated.

Nonetheless, great finds!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Chevy Bolt EV 1,100 Mile Road Trip Summary

Interesting video on a Chevy Bolt EV 1,100 mile road trip summary

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boils down to the current charging infrastructure and how hard it is to find a fast charger. Other than that, the Bolt EV seems to be a good road trip car as long as you plan out the route first.

And 75mph is a lot faster than the speed I would be at on the highway, I'm usually around 100 kmph (around 62 mph). That may be enough to increase the range a bit.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Boils down to the current charging infrastructure and how hard it is to find a fast charger. Other than that, the Bolt EV seems to be a good road trip car as long as you plan out the route first.

And 75mph is a lot faster than the speed I would be at on the highway, I'm usually around 100 kmph (around 62 mph). That may be enough to increase the range a bit.
I did 220 miles on a full charge at an average of around 62mph, it does stretch the range to slow down. The problem with the DCFC is that it starts a hard taper after around 55% (some said 65% but for me it's always been 55ish%) and again around 70% so you end up waiting much longer than planned to really get to that 80+% charge state.

I guess the ideal trip would be to start with a full charge and run down as low as you feel comfortable, then back up until the taper starts, then keep repeating that until the trip is over. Will be a lot of stopping!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I guess the ideal trip would be to start with a full charge and run down as low as you feel comfortable, then back up until the taper starts, then keep repeating that until the trip is over. Will be a lot of stopping!
The ideal trip starts with a big tank full of gas.>:)

I'm convinced there is no good way to do a long trip in an electric car. Let's face it - the Bolt can be a great daily driver. It will never be a great or even good or even decent road trip car. Of course, if you're a masochist...

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's more of an infrastructure problem than the Bolt itself. Of course none of us would ever want to see our Bolts get the "Tow of Shame", but those guys ran into some pretty bad luck with those chargers. You always wonder, what are the chances of that happening to me?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think it depends on your level of patience, the route you're considering, and what you consider a "road trip".

We live in Cleveland and visit family in Toronto a couple times a year. It's only 4.5-5 hours. Problem is, there are no DCFC chargers once you leave the Cleveland area, until Toronto. None in Erie, PA, or Buffalo, NY, or anywhere along I-90 onto the NY Thruway. This means we'd need to plug in for 100 miles of charge at a L2 somewhere. A 4 hour charge stop on a 5 hour trip is a "no go".

Another place we like visiting is Williamsburg, VA. This is normally an 8 hour trip. Ironically, due to DCFC, we could do this trip faster than Toronto, with two half-hour stops to charge. I'd do that in a Bolt! (Packing enough luggage in the Bolt for 4 people for 4-5 days is the bigger problem.)

We also take road trips to Dallas, TX and St Petersburg, FL. Now those are "real" road trips. 1,200 miles. You usually budget 19 hours, and if there are no accidents that backup the interstate, you may make it in 17.5-18 hours. I did the math once on making the trip using Superchargers, and it was going to add about 4-5 hours to the trip. If it was just my wife and I and we were in no hurry, that might be tolerable. But throw in the reality of life: two kids, limited vacation time from work, and the sense of "lets just get there" that sets in after 10 hours on the road, and we'd never do it in a Tesla or Bolt I don't think, unless we were intentionally stopping at national parks along the way (if they have DCFC/SC's installed at some point).

(Disclaimer: I don't like flying. It's a hassle to deal with airports. I hate worrying that we'll have a non refundable ticket and then one of the kids will get sick and we lose our money. I hate getting stuck in a rental car, which inevitably smells bad; has bad tires, the steering wheel shakes; is filthy. Once we rented a convertible and the top had a hole in it. And at least half the time we fly, we seem to pickup a cold/cough virus during the flight that ruins the vacation.)

·
Banned
350 Posts
You just need to redefine "road trip" as something that is less than 238 miles round-trip, or includes an overnight stop after each four hours of driving.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Like this guy in his short-range Leaf: http://www.torquenews.com/3618/nissan-leaf-trip-gone-bad

The "Tow of Shame" a LOT less likely driving around a Bolt. :D
Hence why i'm happy about the Bolt becoming part of fleet since that will do a lot for showing whatever issues might come up, probably sooner with those cars than ours due to how much they'll be driven.

Always helps to have someone else be the guinea pig and take the hit ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
This woman did an 800 mile trip. Granted, it's easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. I don't think she needed to necessarily take the coast. PlugShare shows one charging station on Highway 5, but there is a DCFC in Bakersfield, but 80mph can be a range shrinker.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109117_chevy-bolt-ev-800-mile-trip-in-238-mile-electric-car-shows-challenges-remain

I plotted out a trip from the SF bay area to Seattle, because the charging along this route has been said to be complete; but if you want a DCFC, it could be quite a thriller. There are only two along the route in Oregon, and I don't mean a location with a bank of chargers, were talking aboue one and only one.

But hey, it's going to improve, and Tesla may make adapters to use theri Superchargers, right?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm hoping for adapters for their supercharging network, but other EV manufacturers may have to come to an agreement with Tesla or they may not want other cars clogging up their Superchargers. Especially with the Model 3 coming out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
(Disclaimer: I don't like flying. It's a hassle to deal with airports. I hate worrying that we'll have a non refundable ticket and then one of the kids will get sick and we lose our money. I hate getting stuck in a rental car, which inevitably smells bad; has bad tires, the steering wheel shakes; is filthy. Once we rented a convertible and the top had a hole in it. And at least half the time we fly, we seem to pickup a cold/cough virus during the flight that ruins the vacation.)
I hear you, and you never know when you're going to get dragged from your seat, beaten, and thrown off the plane; it is so inconvenient. The glamor of air travel is over!

I'm an odd ball. I like road trips. I get to crank my tunes. Half the fun of my CPO Boxster S was driving it cross country home.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
I'm hoping for adapters for their supercharging network, but other EV manufacturers may have to come to an agreement with Tesla or they may not want other cars clogging up their Superchargers. Especially with the Model 3 coming out.
It will require more than just adapters as there is a different signaling protocol used by Tesla for quick charging.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
We won't be doing any long trips (more than 100 miles out and back) until October. But we want to be up to speed on the DC fast charging networks. So far, we have RFIC cards for EVgo, and Greenlots. There are now three Greenlots chargers in town. We have tried two. They work great, with one caveat. The plastic film over the screens is almost opaque from UV damage. Yesterday, I had to kneel in front of the unit, with both hands shielding the screen to barely see enough of the info to proceed, and this was on a cloudy day with rain drops. I am going to carry a big towel to drape over my head and the unit, like an 1890's photographer. :)

https://octoroonc1.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/19th-century-photograph.jpg?w=676

1 - 19 of 19 Posts