Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Not next out of the block

Chevy Bolt EV has great performance and is a really practical and great to drive car, but its not an SUV, or mini-van. Its those functions that people want. Like all sports cars, only a small segment of the population actually buy them - so the Jolt would be great one day, but not next out of the block.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Its all about the battery

As I tell anybody who will listen; Buy a Bolt now. Everything after this will be bigger, faster, less efficient, more loaded :-(
I do believe that longer range is on the cards, which might have to be bigger, unless battery tech is improving fast enough to give as a bigger battery in a similar sized package. The Bolt EV is fast enough, as it is faster than most vehicles, so I hope the sports car is way in the future. Less efficient, yes, if its an SUV or mini-van, again, depending on battery technology. However, what use is a mini-van with less range than the Bolt? Its all about the battery.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
We bought the Bolt because it works, and has a lower CO2 footprint than a Prius C. Anything bigger/faster/heavier will not match the Prius C for lifetime CO2. I don't imagine we, as a nation or a species, will deal with CO2 in anything like a timely/effective fashion anyway. But I'm still going to do what little I can with the time, and money I have left.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
The truth is, a dual-motor Bolt EV is the one I wanted from the beginning, but I'm glad GM did this version of the Bolt EV first.

But now, a performance model is in order.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Nailed it

The truth is, a dual-motor Bolt EV is the one I wanted from the beginning, but I'm glad GM did this version of the Bolt EV first.
But now, a performance model is in order.
Bound to be more expensive with a dual-motor. It would be a great competitor for Tesla, especially as we know GM nailed it with the incomparable Bolt EV with respect to almost everything including price.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Getting up to speed on the onramp today I saw 160 kw on the power meter. That would be over 210 HP. It will go around curves at way over the posted advisory speeds without a complaint from the stock tires. IMO, it's already an SS.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Getting up to speed on the onramp today I saw 160 kw on the power meter. That would be over 210 HP. It will go around curves at way over the posted advisory speeds without a complaint from the stock tires. IMO, it's already an SS.
Wow, didn't know it could go that high. Thought 150kW was the limit on the motors. Though, when I'm pushing my Bolt that hard, I'm typically unable to monitor the dash because of more pressing matters...like driving fast. ;)

If I saw that number I'd probably get an aneurysm, yesterday I needed to pass someone on the freeway and got up to about 80 and I was like holy crap I need to slow down.
+1. It's so quiet when doing this even with the motor hum ramping up in frequency. Only thing that really gave me a warning was the increased weaving at speed at any switch of the steering wheel cause...I was going way past 60mph without realizing it.

Of course, I'm blaming the f**king idiot in the right lane who sped up to deny me the pass. Thankfully, Bolt is a capable passer.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Wow, didn't know it could go that high. Thought 150kW was the limit on the motors.
First, for propulsion there is just the one motor. [There are other motors — windows, pumps, fan, steering assist, wipers, etc.]

The drive motor is indeed rated at 150 kW, but that's at whatever volts AC that it runs at. The battery produces 350-400v DC and the inverter converts it. That's pretty efficient but there are some losses and it takes some energy to run the car. So when you floor it, you may hit 160 kW of power output from the battery to send 150 kW to the motor.

And when it does that, whoosh, the Bolt bolts.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Local freeway has a 75 mph speed limit - it's not busy by big city standards and it lightly patrolled - I will burst mode high 80's to top speed when conditions are favorable. Typically the power meter reads in the mid 150's with throttle mashed but I got an honest visual sighting of 160 with the heat off so I had to report it.
Agree, the Bolt is a bit twitchy in crosswinds at high speeds. Tall and narrow...

·
Registered
678 Posts
At least on paper, for purposes of EPA filing. In real life, not so much.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...la-electric-cars-rated-more-efficient-but-how
I was also really interested in this topic, and did a lot of reading and asking around. If you dig deeper into the excellent articles this author writes including the EPA references he uses, you will see that there is in fact a range increase with the dual motor, but it does not seem to reach the percent increase as advertised, not at least in all scenarios. I think it probably has a lot to do with driving conditions and personal driving habits. The gearing between the front and rear motors is arranged so that the rear motor supplies most of the input at launch, while the front motor plays a bigger role at cruising speed. The energy savings, or range increase, are more evident if speed is kept below 70, you are not accelerating abruptly (i.e. passing), and you are not pushing headwinds.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.