Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that some people are using Bolt EV Stats! and Fuelly (and maybe others) on their signatures and just wondering if users find this data helpful. Here are the links;

Link to Bolt EV Stats!

Link to Fuelly

·
Registered
739 Posts
I use Bolt EV Stats, but as I only started recently, it is not particularly interesting. I did no long-distance driving since I started. I looked at Fuelly, but its so simple as to be virtually useless. At least Bolt EV Stats fetches some data from OnStar.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
I'd hate to add my Bolt and drag down the stats. I've been driving around town with the heat on and getting pretty poor efficiency. On one short trip with the HVAC system on "Hi" I used over 36 kWh/100 km, which translates to less than half the EPA rated efficiency of around 15 to 16 kWh/100km.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
I'd hate to add my Bolt and drag down the stats. I've been driving around town with the heat on and getting pretty poor efficiency. On one short trip with the HVAC system on "Hi" I used over 36 kWh/100 km, which translates to less than half the EPA rated efficiency of around 15 to 16 kWh/100km.
Don't feel too badly, it's not just you. On a few around town trips yesterday I was averaging about 25kWh/100km and that didn't even have any highway driving. On the highway I'm sure that I'm up in the 30's with you. I don't have HVAC on "high", but cabin temp is set to 22deg, heated steering wheel on, heated seats on (low). My range is not great right now, but it's not causing me any challenges range wise. I feel bad for people who have to make due with half (or less) the battery!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Also, I'd say the inefficiency is expected as range anxiety decreases inversely to range increase. One day, it might just have so much range no one ever thinks about it. One day, people will just get in and drive...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't feel too badly, it's not just you. On a few around town trips yesterday I was averaging about 25kWh/100km and that didn't even have any highway driving. On the highway I'm sure that I'm up in the 30's with you. I don't have HVAC on "high", but cabin temp is set to 22deg, heated steering wheel on, heated seats on (low). My range is not great right now, but it's not causing me any challenges range wise. I feel bad for people who have to make due with half (or less) the battery!
After Week 01 with the Bolt, this echoes my sentiment as well. I generally drive greater distances on Friday, and ended up chewing through more then a third of my battery yesterday (Highway/heated seats/wheel/auto 22 cabin). It's not even very cold yet either in southern Ontario. I'm certainly not the model of range or efficiency either. Other then fast refuelling, the "free" heat of my old SSBB vehicle, is something I'll miss.

It may be interesting if GM had more of a social component to their data collection, on an opt-in only basis. We could compare data with, theoretically, every other Bolt on the planet, through a myriad of environmental/geographical conditions. The ability to export data in excel format would be nice also.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Also, I'd say the inefficiency is expected as range anxiety decreases inversely to range increase. One day, it might just have so much range no one ever thinks about it. One day, people will just get in and drive...
Already there for 99% of our trips. After we both retired, I looked at our vehicle usage and determined an EV would be perfect. We just get in and drive.

After using the Bolt, that analysis has proven to be correct, but looking back, we didn't really make that many road trips. Had EVs been available back when, an ICE rental for the few highway long trips would have been less expensive than owning one for those few times a year. Yes, the friction of an ICE-rental-pick-up-drop-off is a hassle, but so is the airport a hassle for those trips requiring a flying ICE.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I've noticed that some people are using Bolt EV Stats! and Fuelly (and maybe others) on their signatures and just wondering if users find this data helpful
The link you attached is my Fuelly page. They are a little behind the curve; even though a few Teslas and Leafs are listed, there is no mi/kWh. I was initially logging my usage in mpg-e, but it got boring pretty soon.

Here is another Boltier on Fuelly:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/chevrolet/bolt_ev/2017/priowned/684180

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fuelly seems more geared towards ICE cars and requires manual entry.

Not sure of the utility of Bolt EV Stats (looks like they have something going on with On Star?)

Reactions: rgmichel

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Bolt EV Stats is a nice utility to see your history of EV usage. I don't find it very useful as well now that I'm 100% EV. VoltStats was nice because I could see over time how well I reduced gasoline usage and it was fun to maximize my % EV miles driven.

Reactions: drrjv and Heyeph

·
Registered
38 Posts
Agree with quirky. I was a daily VoltStats viewer with my Volt. The BoltStats are boring, comparatively. Would be nice if it tracked efficiency.
Agreed. I had a 2017 Volt for 1 year before I traded it in for my Bolt EV, and I checked my VoltStats a couple of times per week to track my percentage on electric versus on gasoline (90% electric!).

BoltStats ... not so much. I hardly check much at all, as there's not much to see, actually.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
Voltstats -- useful, but yeah, efficiency isn't there. If I'm not mistaken, GM doesn't release (or doesn't even capture) the kWh data from any of its EVS. So the site gets what it can.

Fuelly - I tried it 6 years ago with my first Volt and found the interface ponderous when handling range details for an EV. I tried to resume my account for our Bolt EV. Since they still don't have kWh as a unit of fuel, I was going to enter gal by way of 33.4 kWh/gal conversion rate. But the design is so geared around the notion of weekly fill-ups, it doesn't work to load sample data from an EV. So even folks you would think most concerned with fuel economy have no clue how many times more efficient they could be if they got with the 21st century and the future of automobiles...

Reactions: rgmichel
1 - 14 of 14 Posts