Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Every year MotorWeek’s editorial staff selects an overall best of the year vehicle from a long list of models in various segments ranging from family sedans to large utilities and luxury vehicles. This year, the Chevy Bolt rolled away with the best of the year award.

No surprise as the Chevrolet Bolt is the first affordable long range pure electric vehicle to hit the streets. For less than $30,000 after taking into account federal income tax credits and other incentives, the crossover a highly practical plug-in with plenty of cabin space.

The average American’s daily commute is only about 40 miles round trip and the Bolt has an EPA estimated range of 238-miles, with MPGe ratings of 128-City, 110-Highway, and 119-Combined. That’s more than enough for most drivers’ commute to and from work with extra leftover for errands.

Chevy didn’t skimp out on drive performance in the name of electric range as the Bolt EV’s 60-kWH battery pack offered plenty of pickup for quick acceleration when needed. With 200-horsepower and 266 lb-ft of torque on tap, the Bolt can easily pass or merge onto freeways.

“Pushing boundaries, setting benchmarks, while keeping it affordable; that’s what made the Chevrolet Bolt EV our staff’s unanimous choice as our 2017 MotorWeek Drivers’ Choice Best of the Year.”

·
Registered
786 Posts
This was another expected award for the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV because it is a normal car, and drives like a normal car, but at a reachable price and with better specificstions than a normal car or a "special" BEV. The Bolt EV is equivalent to Henry Ford's Model T, which became the common man's car in the 1930's at the time most of the other gas engine cars were expensive and catered to the rich (just like Tesla Motors is still doing now).

Now in the 21st century we have the new EVs and BEVs, but none will become as common to the average driver as the Chevy Bolt EV. And MotorWeek's drivers has proven this!

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
The Bolt EV is equivalent to Henry Ford's Model T, which became the common man's car in the 1930's at the time most of the other gas engine cars were expensive and catered to the rich (just like Tesla Motors is still doing now).
I wish this were more true. While the Bolt is a break through in terms of $$$ to range, it is still not on the magnitude of Ford's Model T. Electric energy storage still has a ways to go to catch up to the Model T. I know you're in Puerto Rico (Love it there and in most of the Caribbean!!) so you are a little disconnected from what's happening here in California.

The truth is, the Bolt is not selling like hot cakes here in the EV hot bed, the Bay Area. They are sitting on lots and dealers and even GM is now discounting and offering incentives to move them. Maybe the rest of the country is hungry, I hope so, but here the response is lukewarm so far and awareness of the product is very good.

No Model T for sure.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wish this were more true. While the Bolt is a break through in terms of $$$ to range, it is still not on the magnitude of Ford's Model T. Electric energy storage still has a ways to go to catch up to the Model T. I know you're in Puerto Rico (Love it there and in most of the Caribbean!!) so you are a little disconnected from what's happening here in California.

The truth is, the Bolt is not selling like hot cakes here in the EV hot bed, the Bay Area. They are sitting on lots and dealers and even GM is now discounting and offering incentives to move them. Maybe the rest of the country is hungry, I hope so, but here the response is lukewarm so far and awareness of the product is very good.

No Model T for sure.
Henry didn't have buyers running to his dealers when the Model T came out, either. It takes time to build uo sales. What I meant is that the Bolt EV is the "people's BEV" now. And all the others, including Ford and Tesla, are catching up. Maybe Californians don't know what is good for them, and prefer to buy from the foreign "East Coast" (I have visited and driven in California, just in case you wish to comment).;)

GM is not new to this type of slow sales, because the famous small block V8 came with the 1955 Chevrolet Bel-Air, but the 1957 model year was when sales took off, and that specific model because a symbol of the era (including the "Rock and Roll" era which began also in 1955). How do I know? I was there when it was happening! I am older than what you can believe, yet I have seen (and driven) some of the iconic GM and Ford vehicles. And I expect to drive the Chevy Bolt EV soon as it is the icon of the "BEV era". :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hotcakes

The truth is, the Bolt is not selling like hot cakes here in the EV hot bed, the Bay Area. They are sitting on lots and dealers and even GM is now discounting and offering incentives to move them.
Didn't I just read that the Bolt has the shortest turnover time of any car right now? Sounds pretty hotcake-like. I have heard of two dealers, one in N and one in S CA offering decent discounts, but I do not know if those are canceled out by BS dealer fees or a markup on the money factor / APR.

If GM wants to move them, it's easy enough: offer a cheap lease. (Also: fix the seats, and let people order the good stereo even in the base model, as in the Volt.) But I haven't heard of bargain leases just yet.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Didn't I just read that the Bolt has the shortest turnover time of any car right now? Sounds pretty hotcake-like. I have heard of two dealers, one in N and one in S CA offering decent discounts, but I do not know if those are canceled out by BS dealer fees or a markup on the money factor / APR.

If GM wants to move them, it's easy enough: offer a cheap lease. (Also: fix the seats, and let people order the good stereo even in the base model, as in the Volt.) But I haven't heard of bargain leases just yet.
They're not desperate, so don't expect any of these ridiculous zero down, $99 a month lease deals anytime soon. However, they are offering $2000 off MSRP and a $2500 rebate for leasing. I haven't checked the particulars because I don't have any interest in leasing, but I imagine that's a pretty fair deal.

I'm not sure where you heard the turn over time thing, but the Bolt I am possibly going to buy has been sitting on the lot almost a month now. I keep checking and it's still there. Anyhow, I'm sure they're selling OK for this time of year, but there is no way a supply problem. Anybody who really wants one in California can drive one home today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts