Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to develop a set of planning factors that I could use in Excel to be used for the initial planning for extended trips in the Bolt. Using the assumptions of no wind, no rain, no mountains,average this and average that, how do these factors look?
Discharging:
Interstate highways, 60 miles an hour average:
1 mile per minute
.25 kW per minute
.25 kW per mile
4 miles per kW
State highways, 40 miles an hour average:
.67 mile per minute
.167 kW per minute
.25 kW per mile
4 miles per kW
Charging:
Level 1:
.08 miles per minute
.02 kW per minute
Level 2:
.4 miles per minute
.1 kW per minute
DC (Level 3):
2.4 miles per minute
.6 kW per minute

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your Level 1 charging numbers are off by a factor of 10.
My figure of .02 kW per minute of charging would charge from 0 to 60 kw in (60/.02) 3000 minutes or 50 hours. If that is off by a factor of 10, it would take only 5 hours.

What do you hope to do with all this?
I am planning a 500 mile round trip with only Level 1 charging at the destination. I am using Excel and trying to minimize the travel time.

Thank you for your interest.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, sorry for my mistake.

You will have to wait quite a while to recharge at Level 1 at your destination. Are there nearby Level 2 or 3's available. Have you checked the plugshare website/app?

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
You will have to wait quite a while to recharge at Level 1 at your destination. Are there nearby Level 2 or 3's available. Have you checked the plugshare website/app?
Yeah, I agree. There's a lot of justifiable criticism about the scarcity of DC Fast Chargers in many parts of the country, but there are actually quite a lot of L2 chargers and they're perfect for overnight charging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts