Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am unable to read through 30+ pages of posts about this, so I apologize in advance if this has already been asked and answered:

Do the fires have any correlation with the number of charge cycles on the battery or number of miles on the vehicles that burned?

I have a 2017 Bolt Premier w/48k miles, 11k of which I put on it. I haven't gotten whatever remediation/update GM has offered, but I always have the hilltop reserve on.
My feeling is the only real solution is new batteries and that a software "fix" is worthless because most of the software - on my car at least - is prone to anomalous and intermittent glitches.

Anyway.... TIA for any info.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I hear you. I've way too busy and haven't had time to follow all the chatter. It would help if you post were named better. And, it might get merged.

I don't know to answer your question. You could look at List of known Chevy Bolt Fires – All EV Info.

I strongly suggest you get the "final remedy" applied anyway as you will have no benefit of any the extra monitoring it does if you do not. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCSB-20V701-3618.pdf is the procedure and Bolt EV Battery Cell Inspection – TechLink is a bit more info. IMHO, it would be foolish not to, even though it appears not 100% effective. This is besides the dealer diagnostics. If you fail at either part, you will likely receive new battery sections or an entire pack. Some folks here on Bolt FB groups have failed at either stage.

Will be interesting to see if the estimate of 1% of the ~50K vehicles with the defect changes over time. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20V701-7407.PDF is the latest copy I know of with that estimate.

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
169 Posts
I am unable to read through 30+ pages of posts about this, so I apologize in advance if this has already been asked and answered:

Do the fires have any correlation with the number of charge cycles on the battery or number of miles on the vehicles that burned?

I have a 2017 Bolt Premier w/48k miles, 11k of which I put on it. I haven't gotten whatever remediation/update GM has offered, but I always have the hilltop reserve on.
My feeling is the only real solution is new batteries and that a software "fix" is worthless because most of the software - on my car at least - is prone to anomalous and intermittent glitches.

Anyway.... TIA for any info.
So far there have been no 2017 bolt fires
Just 2018/2019

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
So far there have been no 2017 bolt fires
Just 2018/2019
No. The list I pointed to lists 4 (maybe) 2017 model Bolt fires. Looks like the last two there are possibly 2017 or 2018, unsure due to build month of one and uncertainty on the Ampera-E.

Most have been model year 2019.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Have the recall done and relax. Like a vaccine, it may not be 100% effective but it's a lot better than nothing. If your 2017 has made it 4 years and 48000 miles you are good to go. IMO.

Reactions: cwerdna

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
169 Posts
No. The list I pointed to lists 4 (maybe) 2017 model Bolt fires. Looks like the last two there are possibly 2017 or 2018, unsure due to build month of one and uncertainty on the Ampera-E.

Most have been model year 2019.
So far no 2017 bolts have been recalled
Only 2018/2019, and no buybacks offered
If your state has a strict lemon law GM might deal with you
So far California has the most buybacks
Since April this year

·
Registered
699 Posts
From what I gathered the fires are rather related to lower discharge and full or near full recharge.
I did not see any supporting data between number of miles or charging sessions (however long or short they might have been).
Keep in mind, though, that the fires that took place are still not enough numbers of incidents to draw good conclusions. The only certain thing was the model of the battery (production).

As for the update - for the clear mind, get it. It is a recall after all and kind of is mandatory. Not sure how the insurance company would treat the fire if you intentionally did not apply a fix that could possibly prevent the accident. Since you have top hill reserve anyway, it will make no difference.

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
519 Posts
Since April this year
Not sure about what time period you're talking about, but I had a 2017 that was recalled and replaced with a 2021.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
On a completely hard capitalistic note, the dealers are missing a chance to draw customers back, have them occasionally see the new models, get approached by a salesman if the old customer does come in to "see" while the car is being charged. Small but significant captive audience. Incentives, new trade in deals - ALL - would intensify at a lower cost than TV, radio, even net ads. Like on so many topics, GM is not thinking ahead. They actually need to make each dealer a charge hub, and especially tell their old customers.

Well worth 4 to 8 DCFC at every dealer site...to get those customers from all brands into the lot.

·
Registered
281 Posts
On a completely hard capitalistic note, the dealers are missing a chance to draw customers back, have them occasionally see the new models, get approached by a salesman if the old customer does come in to "see" while the car is being charged. Small but significant captive audience. Incentives, new trade in deals - ALL - would intensify at a lower cost than TV, radio, even net ads. Like on so many topics, GM is not thinking ahead. They actually need to make each dealer a charge hub, and especially tell their old customers.

Well worth 4 to 8 DCFC at every dealer site...to get those customers from all brands into the lot.
And when your Bolt burns down while charging, you're already at the dealership for them to sell you a new car!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I wish GM would be more forthcoming about what exactly they found WRT the defect. How do we know for sure that the Michigan built packs in the 2019's (or even ones in later model years) are unaffected? If you look at the 2019 MY and compare the packs made in South Korea with the ones that are made in Michigan, I believe they are the same parts: same cells, same chemistry, same battery pan and plumbing, both built by LG. The only difference is in the location where they were assembled. Sure, we've only seen fires in SK packs so far but honestly there have been so few, how do we know the problem was completely corrected in the Michigan built packs vs. we just haven't seen any fires in those yet because they are slightly newer? The final fix was supposed to "fix" the fire risk... and that didn't work. What confidence should we have to just believe GM that a battery with the same "guts" that just happens to be assembled in Michigan frees you from the fire risk?

Mike

·
Administrator
2,250 Posts
I wish GM would be more forthcoming about what exactly they found WRT the defect. How do we know for sure that the Michigan built packs in the 2019's (or even ones in later model years) are unaffected? If you look at the 2019 MY and compare the packs made in South Korea with the ones that are made in Michigan, I believe they are the same parts: same cells, same chemistry, same battery pan and plumbing, both built by LG. The only difference is in the location where they were assembled. Sure, we've only seen fires in SK packs so far but honestly there have been so few, how do we know the problem was completely corrected in the Michigan built packs vs. we just haven't seen any fires in those yet because they are slightly newer? The final fix was supposed to "fix" the fire risk... and that didn't work. What confidence should we have to just believe GM that a battery with the same "guts" that just happens to be assembled in Michigan frees you from the fire risk?
Agreed WRT to disclosure. Perhaps the SW update will provide more insight to GM engineers and further refinements are possible? Maybe this two latest fires post "final" update are sacrificial lambs that could prove lead to even better diagnostics and treatment.

At this point, public perception will play a significantly larger role in their next moves. If the next step is not a wholesale battery swap or buyback, they will be obligated to provide significant details of cause, effect, and SW functionality WRT detection to allay owners fears.

That 2019 models seem most vulnerable, despite less wear, charging cycles, etc, there is a possibility that the problem is more isolated than across the board with all SK made cells. But, we need to know lot more detail if they limit further steps to a subset of SK manufactured cells.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,282 Posts
Since April this year
ALL of the 2017s have been recalled (at least twice), and I completed a buyback of a '17 Premier ($41k), and re-buy of a '21 Premier ($29k), in April.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2017 Bolt with 97K miles, no fire, a lot of charging cycles. Had both recall updates done. When they checked my cell voltages, for the second update, cell average was 3.94V with lowest also at 3.94V (~80% charge at the time of the update). Obviously no fire.

LG did find the defect for the Hyundai cells, it was a folded anode. Those cells were manufactured in China, not Korea and are a different design, but obviously similar chemistry. Why LG has not been able to determine, or at least admit the issue, for these cells is not clear.

All lithium ion cells have a possibility to catch fire under failure, just like all gasoline vehicles have the possibility of a fire. That will never go away. Obviously the numbers here point to a defect, not random failures.

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
519 Posts
I have a 2017 Bolt with 97K miles, no fire, a lot of charging cycles. Had both recall updates done. When they checked my cell voltages, for the second update, cell average was 3.94V with lowest also at 3.94V (~80% charge at the time of the update). Obviously no fire.

LG did find the defect for the Hyundai cells, it was a folded anode. Those cells were manufactured in China, not Korea and are a different design, but obviously similar chemistry. Why LG has not been able to determine, or at least admit the issue, for these cells is not clear.

All lithium ion cells have a possibility to catch fire under failure, just like all gasoline vehicles have the possibility of a fire. That will never go away. Obviously the numbers here point to a defect, not random failures.
I'm not questioning your facts, just would like a link to the "folded anode" report.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 51 Posts