Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a TikTok video circulating that allegedly shows a Bolt burning in the garage of an upscale house this past weekend. Video seems a little suspect and there's no local media, or fire jurisdiction reports of the fire. This supposedly happened in Loudoun County VA, near Dulles Airport.

TikTok

Anyone hear anything or have more information?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
451 Posts
Some more info on this latest fire. :/

·
Registered
351 Posts
From more pictures I have seen it look like it started in the back.....service disconnect or top stack battery. Common issues with Bolt battery pack.

·
Registered
'19 Bolt Premier; '13 Leaf SV w/premium
1,110 Posts
As I replied to the OP's reply at:
I think NHTSA will lose their patience after this weekend's fire.
Without any details, who knows?

Was the Bolt even the cause of the fire? Was its battery pack the cause? Was it the same cause as the other 5 identified Bolt battery fires? What was the battery's state of charge at the time? How long was it that SoC? Did it have the temp fix applied or was the max charge level limited to 90% or hill top reserve on? What model year was it? (All '17 and '18 were included in the recall but only a subset of '19 were.) Was it part of the recalled population?

It's interesting that Bob G joined just 3 hours ago only to post about this subject...

·
Registered
589 Posts
As I replied to the OP's reply at:

Without any details, who knows?

Was the Bolt even the cause of the fire? Was its battery pack the cause? Was it the same cause as the other 5 identified Bolt battery fires? What was the battery's state of charge at the time? How long was it that SoC? Did it have the temp fix applied or was the max charge level limited to 90% or hill top reserve on? What model year was it? (All '17 and '18 were included in the recall but only a subset of '19 were.) Was it part of the recalled population?

It's interesting that Bob G joined just 3 hours ago only to post about this subject...
Yeah, while the optics and timing are certainly terrible for GM we should wait for details before assuming anything.

I've been very critical of the planned software fix but we can't make assumptions about a garage fire just because an electric car was parked in there. I'm sure GM and the NHSTA is looking at this really hard because of the timing. If that Bolt was the cause of the fire and it did either have the current software recall fix applied or set to hilltop/set percentage this will be really bad news for GM. Hopefully they release the details and don't just hand wave this away.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
451 Posts
Already talking about it here:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Nobody's saying what year vehicle this was, what was the state of charge, or was it plugged in.

I perused the local media around Ashburn to see if I could find out, and the information has not been published yet.

However, I saw that the Fire Marshall estimated a total of $5K in damage to the home, in total, and that the fire breached no wall.

So they were very lucky that help got there in time to limit the damage to the garage.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Extremely fortunate the house did not burn down... People are still charging their Bolts indoors?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope GM does the right thing, if Hyundai can’t fix, can you fix something with hardware defect with a software patch. Nope. I’m a IT guy by trade, this update seems like software warning system to me.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Not enough information to determine how to proceed:

1. What was the model year of this Bolt?
2. What was it's SOC? Was it charging at the time?
3. Did it have either the temporary or permanent fix applied?

If it's 2017-2019 with no fix applied and the owner was charging it to 100% in a garage, then frankly all the fault falls on the owner.

OTOH, if it was a 2019, had the permanent fix applied, and the owner was following GM's instructions that the Bolt was fixed and to use it normally? That's a whole different ball game.

The fact there was another fire shouldn't be the determinant. Why this particular Bolt caught on fire should be.

ga2500ev

·
Registered
340 Posts
We're still waiting to have my 2018 Bolt's charging capabilities restored to 100%. Surviving on Hilltop Reserve in the meantime.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts