Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have 2016 Volt and it had LED headlights which had a bit more of a Blueish color. Though the high beams were the old halogen color.

The Bolt headlights are bright and fine for me too and I like that they are B-Xenon. But I was just wondering why they didn't go with LED in the Bolt as well.

Why do you suppose the Volt got LED's and the Bolt got HID's? I assume its because of the Bi-Xenon option.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Beats me. I liked the bluish color of the Gen 2 Volt's LED headlights. In fact, I liked the numerous LED cabin lighting as well (aside from the incandescent cargo light which I replaced).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Which ones are brighter?

I drive a lot of back roads and see lots of deer running around at night

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The LED's were actually brighter. I used to get flashed a lot in my Volt by other drivers.

The Bolt lighting is nice and bright though too just a different color temperature. They don't have that blue tint like the volt. They seem to provide a wider "Fill" of light though. I love the auto high beams in the bolt they work good.

I'm glad the Bolt has auto levelers. I think I got flashed a lot in the Volt because the LED lamps did not have levelers. At lease I think they did not. Never saw them level anyways.

I could sum it up this way....

I like the look and color of the Volt LED lights when I see a Volt from outside. But I prefer the lighting when driving the Bolt more than the Volt.

I also miss very much the interior LED bright lighting that was in the Volt. What's up with removing those? I would think in an electric car engineers would want to use LED's for every bulb.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Why do you suppose the Volt got LED's and the Bolt got HID's?
To quote one of my favorite movie lines... "the answer to 99 out of 100 questions is... "money"".

Bolt is more expensive to build/has a lower profit margin vs. the Volt... so GM skimped where they could.

I had LED headlight's in my 2012 Prius 5, but was disappointed to find that the 2012 Plug-in-Prius (which was more expensive than the Prius 5) had regular Halogen headlights. The PIP was more expensive to produce, so Toyota also skimped where they could.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Your Volt is a Gen II, and the Bolt is a Gen I. My guess is Chevy figured out how to make the Volt profitable while including more expensive technologies. The Bolt is more of an econobox with a large battery.

There are other similar threads asking why the Bolt doesn't include this or that feature, and the answer likely comes down to Chevy building the vehicle to a price point that couldn't be met by including more expensive features.

HID is a good technology though, so I'm impressed the Bolt includes it (although I have no experience with the light quality of the Bolt).

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I'm glad the Bolt has auto levelers. I think I got flashed a lot in the Volt because the LED lamps did not have levelers. At lease I think they did not. Never saw them level anyways.
It is probably my just missing it, but I cannot find where the Bolt EV has auto leveling headlamps. Do you have an OM page, a Chevy spec. site, or a cite in a review? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Ask why the Bolt doesn't have a heatpump or power seats or HD radio, or...... ;)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
100% guarantee the 2017 Bolt does not have auto-leveling headlights.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ like I noted... the 2017 Bolt, which is the only Bolt available at this time does not have self-leveling headlights.
Your Bolt- nor does anyone else's Bolt- have self-leveling headlights.

Option for MY2018? Maybe.....:cool:
We've also seen a "LED Illuminated" charge port option for the Bolt on the GM parts site, but not available for order and not included in any MY2017 Bolts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yours may not but I can say that mine does. I see it every night when I pull into my garage. I see them step down in like a clicking motion. My driveway is a slight hill into the garage. As soon as I pull up to the wall and the car levels out the lights will move down.

Very similar to a Mercedes Benz that I had. Same effect.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Yours may not but I can say that mine does. I see it every night when I pull into my garage. I see them step down in like a clicking motion. My driveway is a slight hill into the garage. As soon as I pull up to the wall and the car levels out the lights will move down.
If you have self-leveling headlights, wouldn't they tilt down when you are going uphill (both to see the road better AND not be in the oncoming driver's eyes) and move back up when the car levels out? I can't see where the beam's moving down when the car levels out is of benefit.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ people have placed orders for the charge port, it gets canceled by the system a few days later.

Maybe you're seeing the auto hi-beams step down to low-beams when they reflect off your garage door/wall?

I had auto-level lights in my PIP... when first turned on they panned up and then down then leveled out... do yours do that on initialization?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have self-leveling headlights, wouldn't they tilt down when you are going uphill (both to see the road better AND not be in the oncoming driver's eyes) and move back up when the car levels out? I can't see where the beam's moving down when the car levels out is of benefit.
I guess what I meant is that as I start to go up my driveway towards the garage door, the lights move down against the garage door. Once I arrive in the garage and park (now level) they seem to drop down a little more.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess what I meant is that as I start to go up my driveway towards the garage door, the lights move down against the garage door. Once I arrive in the garage and park (now level) they seem to drop down a little more.
I know what you mean. The MB when first turning on the lights would do the "up", "down" and "side" to "side" movement. But that car had the curving lights as well and was a specific $900 option called the "lighting package". Perhaps it was much more sophisticated. My Mazdaspeed 3 from years ago also had HID lighting and had the basic up down levelers but did not run a check when first turned on.

I will have to watch for this. I will watch tonight as right now I'm parked in the parking garage facing the concrete wall. So when I start the car after work I will watch carefully. Will tell everyone what I see.

·
Registered
328 Posts
This parts list shows leveling options.
It is for the manual headlight level adjustment for EU and Korean market, see this picture, it is a bit blurred, but you can see a 4 position height adjustment knob on the rightmost side of the panel with the light controls:

^ people have placed orders for the charge port, it gets canceled by the system a few days later.
That was me! The 2018 Charge Port Accessory is indeed not available yet and and the order will be set the "On hold" with no fulfillment date, that's when more shops cancel the order.

As for 2017 EU/Korean Market parts I was able to order and get them in the US no issues.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts