Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not cracks, a thread for tricks and tips on how to use your Bolt more effectively

One hack I realized is with the camera rear view mirror the orientation of the mirror no longer matters. So, instead of having it parallel with the back of the car I have perpendicular to my line of sight, that is pointed directly towards me in the drivers seat. That way I'm not looking at it from an angle. Odd at first, but I'm coming to like it.

Another hack (which may be true for other cars), I found that if you orient the side view mirrors so that the edge of the car is just out of visibility it seems to remove issues with rear car headlights. That is they don't shine in your eyes. I've gotten so used to the rear view camera that it's an affront that the side mirrors can still shine in my eyes.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
...which may be true for other cars), I found that if you orient the side view mirrors so that the edge of the car is just out of visibility it seems to remove issues with rear car headlights....
Yep, I've used this for years on my ICE cars. It was first brought to my attention nearly 20 years ago as a workplace safety tip. To reduce ones blind spot(s), move your side mirrors out past where you no longer see the side of the car. We were all taught by our fathers that the side of the car had to always be visible in the side view mirror (especially if you're backing a trailer). Okay, I still have to see the side of the car to keep the car's orientation in my mind. So, I comprised. If I lean my head, the side of the car shows up in that respective mirror. But the other benefit, as you noted, is the car lights at night won't shine into your eyes at all. In my case, only if I lean my head left or right will the lights hit my eyes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm aligned with these ideas. Also, by using the camera/rear view option, I can turn the mirror not only toward me, but up or down so the actual mirror doesn't see outside at all, eliminating the competition between the optical image and the camera image.

My aiming the side mirrors outboard (which I also have done for years with ICE cars), it's great to feel the certainty, in changing lanes, that I can quickly check the side mirror and the camera/rear view mirror, and know that I'm clear without having to turn my head and look. I've grown to trust the mirrors, coupled with the Side Blind Zone Alert.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
...I found that if you orient the side view mirrors so that the edge of the car is just out of visibility it seems to remove issues with rear car headlights.
I've never understood why people adjust all three mirrors to show exactly the same view when you can adjust them to show a much wider combined view.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts