Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
I'm suprised sales misquoted the price.... I thought GM listed the estimated time on each job... because that's what they pay the tech under warranty.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Max, can I ask what dealership this was? I am in St. Paul and am planning on bringing my bolt in soon. I bought it in IA so I don’t have any existing relationships with a local dealer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Change the perspective and ask a different question:

Why is there not an LED light built into the handle of the EVSU connector?

The EVSU is continuously connected to power. An LED built into the handle would allow me to see better to plug it in. After that, the light is no longer necessary.

One click turns it on, plugged in turns it off. Added cost to an EVSE: negligible.

****. Maybe I should patent that idea. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Max, can I ask what dealership this was? I am in St. Paul and am planning on bringing my bolt in soon. I bought it in IA so I don’t have any existing relationships with a local dealer.

Thanks.
I'll PM you - trying not to air too much "dirty laundry" on the web.

·
Registered
201 Posts

The EVSU is continuously connected to power. An LED built into the handle would allow me to see better to plug it in. After that, the light is no longer necessary.

One click turns it on, plugged in turns it off. Added cost to an EVSE: negligible.

****. Maybe I should patent that idea. :)

An LED illuminated J1772 plug is good human-factors design that is already available from Methode Electronics.

I have also seen J1772 plug conversions on the Nissan Leaf forums that accomplish the same thing.

Again, a very neat, simple idea that gets the job done by thinking about the charging connection as a human-centered action rather than an engineering spec for a plug and socket.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
An LED illuminated J1772 plug is good human-factors design that is already available from Methode Electronics.

I have also seen J1772 plug conversions on the Nissan Leaf forums that accomplish the same thing.

Again, a very neat, simple idea that gets the job done by thinking about the charging connection as a human-centered action rather than an engineering spec for a plug and socket.

The EVSE that came with my 2011 Volt has just such an LED in the handle.

·
Registered
381 Posts

Because most people have a light in their garage so don't need one in their EVSE, and the time a port light comes in handy is when you're at a poorly lit public fast charger and lights in public charger handles would just get broken by being dropped on the ground multiple times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience in installing the illumination yourself. I purchased one of these and had the local dealer install it. I have noticed that when inserting the DC charger, it is now a very tight fit. Looking at the install instructions there is reference to replacing the DC cover with a replacement part that is not part of the illumination kit. The instructions call out part 24290558 and specifically discuss this part being required to deal with fit issues for the DC charge connector. When you installed yours did you replace the DC charge connector cover with the suggested part? I see you mentioned that the your DC connector was now a tight fit (but workable), I am curious is that fit is using the original cover or the suggested replacement cover.

Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thanks for posting your experience in installing the illumination yourself. I purchased one of these and had the local dealer install it. I have noticed that when inserting the DC charger, it is now a very tight fit. Looking at the install instructions there is reference to replacing the DC cover with a replacement part that is not part of the illumination kit. The instructions call out part 24290558 and specifically discuss this part being required to deal with fit issues for the DC charge connector. When you installed yours did you replace the DC charge connector cover with the suggested part? I see you mentioned that the your DC connector was now a tight fit (but workable), I am curious is that fit is using the original cover or the suggested replacement cover.

Thanks
I had the illuminated charge port installed - worth every penny...but yes, super tight fit on DCFC & some of the plastic fingers that pressure sit into the female DC ports have broken off - that was not fun fishing them out in 4 degree weather. I'm going to check on this other mentioned part - I wonder if it would be a simple swap?

·
Registered
58 Posts
If Chevy just made the flat background of the port either white or light gray, it would be so much easier to distinguish in less than optimal lighting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the illuminated charge port installed - worth every penny...but yes, super tight fit on DCFC & some of the plastic fingers that pressure sit into the female DC ports have broken off - that was not fun fishing them out in 4 degree weather. I'm going to check on this other mentioned part - I wonder if it would be a simple swap?
I ordered the part and it appears to be the same part that came with the vehicle, so it didn't help me. I guess I have a spare now so if my tabs break off like yours I will have a replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
I ordered the part and it appears to be the same part that came with the vehicle, so it didn't help me. I guess I have a spare now so if my tabs break off like yours I will have a replacement.
Bolt Illuminated Charge Port Housing Package Installation, Bolt Illuminated Charge Port Kit: 84359233

Just a quick note, originally I reported that all was well, however the charge port light did not blink (2018 Premier) (but, came on steady at all the right times, which I actually kind of liked).

I got that fault recently where the rear camera image stays on, so I did a 12 V "cold boot" (removed 12V battery ground for about a minute), then I did a factory reset. Now the charge port light blinks with the green dash light. So, I guess no flash was needed after all! Apparently something I did caused the computer to notice that the charge port light was installed (must be some sort of current or resistance check, there is no bus connection). Or, maybe more likely, there was some setting that I had turned off, and the factory reset turned it back on (something like charge port light to blink or not).

·
Registered
469 Posts
If Chevy just made the flat background of the port either white or light gray, it would be so much easier to distinguish in less than optimal lighting.
If only there was some way to change the color of an object by applying a coating of liquid color, perhaps by spraying a fine, aersolized mist of it to deposit onto flat surfaces in a relatively permanent manner.

I guess we’ll have to wait for a redesign.

?

·
Registered
58 Posts
If only there was some way to change the color of an object by applying a coating of liquid color, perhaps by spraying a fine, aersolized mist of it to deposit onto flat surfaces in a relatively permanent manner.

I guess we’ll have to wait for a redesign.

?
No need for the sarcasm, I was just commenting on GM's poor design decision. A black port in the middle of a black background with no light standard? Of course there are ways of rectifying it afterwards, from the official light kit to customer work-arounds such as the dog collar. I use a cheap little battery-powered LED lamp in my garage that shines directly onto the port.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts