Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
If only there was some way to change the color of an object by applying a coating of liquid color, perhaps by spraying a fine, aersolized mist of it to deposit onto flat surfaces in a relatively permanent manner.

I guess we’ll have to wait for a redesign.

?
No need for the sarcasm, I was just commenting on GM's poor design decision. A black port in the middle of a black background with no light standard? Of course there are ways of rectifying it afterwards, from the official light kit to customer work-arounds such as the dog collar. I use a cheap little battery-powered LED lamp in my garage that shines directly onto the port.
I thought the sarcasm was brilliant personally ?

The charge port definitely is too dark to use easily at public DCFC charging, but my garage is brightly illuminated, so it is no problem at home.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I thought the sarcasm was brilliant personally ?

The charge port definitely is too dark to use easily at public DCFC charging, but my garage is brightly illuminated, so it is no problem at home.
It wasn't meant to insult, and thank you for the compliment, but sometimes we all get a little too hung up on things when simple and easy solutions exist.

I've fumbled in the dark to plug in mine when a $3 LED light could easily be attached to the connector or I could just flip the light switch in my own garage, neither of which cost $300 or even $30. I'm just a little bit too lazy.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've fumbled in the dark to plug in mine when a $3 LED light could easily be attached to the connector or I could just flip the light switch in my own garage, neither of which cost $300 or even $30. I'm just a little bit too lazy.
I went one further and installed a motion detector switch for my garage lights. When the door goes up, the lights come on... problem solved.

Reactions: kitt2000

·
Registered
469 Posts
I went one further and installed a motion detector switch for my garage lights. When the door goes up, the lights come on... problem solved.
Huh. I have one in my basement. It was $20. Seemed like a lot for a “switch”, but temporary light for $20 seems like a bargain compared to $300 for a car mounted light that serves no other purpose.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the Bolt EV Illuminated Charge Port 84359233 installed on my 2017 Bolt EV LT. I bought the part at Shop Chevy Parts for $248 because none of the dealerships that I checked in the Chicago suburbs would match the price. All the dealerships gave me a price of $325 for the part. Multiple dealerships estimated $150 to $250 for installation. One dealership quoted me $100. I went with the last quote. When the tech installed the charge port, it would not light up. After contacting GM directly, the tech was informed that the installation guide was for 2018 Bolt EV and up. The 2017 Bolt EV had a slightly different wiring connection. The service person told me that the installation of this part was considered a time and materials charge, and that was why I had received higher quotes at the other dealerships. The dealership honored the $100 quote, but the price would have been closer to $250.

I do not know the specifics of the wiring difference. There is an updated installation guide, particularly for the 2017 Bolt EV.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
If the charging area is that dark, just take out your smart phone and use the flashlight... or maybe even just turn on the car lights. The lighted charge port is more cosmetic than anything else.

Reactions: BEOFGOD

·
Registered
238 Posts
For anyone still looking around for this option, note that the dog collar version appears to be identical for a lower price.
I’ll be attaching mine this weekend.

We also installed the www.chargerlight.com in my mom’s Bolt a few month’s back and it works great fyi (y)

Thanks to everyone who shared in this thread and the other one to give us ideas of what might work without paying $300 for the oem install.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Much better, agreed, but the fact is that most of us probably have our smart phone on our other hand. That's always true when I charge outside. When I charge at my garage, I have motion sensor light overhead, so no issues. Not arguing the utility of this solution, just that it's pretty N/A for me.

Reactions: Sibilance

·
Registered
134 Posts
Here is a do it yourself hardwired motion activated LED charge port light costing about $20.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I saw that, thanks. I'm just not willing to start drilling holes yet, but maybe some day. :)
I like the motion sensor ability of your solution. How long does it stay lit after activated?

(It's stupid, easy things like this missing from the Bolt by default that annoy me about car manufacturers. Put a stupid light in there Chevy.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Personally, just have a gun holder magnet adhered to the inside of the charge port door and keep a small magnetic flash light in the car (with matching polarity directions so it snaps to the magnet.)

No holes necessary. The gun magnet is jet black and is hard to notice, and it is easy to use during those exceedingly rare times I need a light and don't have my phone on me. I've used it exactly once in nine months.

Based on that, I don't think any further effort to find a better installation is warranted in my case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it possible to install this without removing the fender liner?

Could I drill the hole (carefully I read, there are wires behind), and then fish the wires all the way to the battery? Maybe an electrical fishing wire can help for this part.

It seems that I could save a lot of time if this was possible.

Thanks

41 - 54 of 54 Posts