Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently seen YouTube videos of Tesla's in China actually pushing water over their hoods. Elon Musk actually says that the Tesla is totally waterproof and it can actually float. How about the Bolt? Anybody with any experience out there? Any Chevy engineers?
Last night my car was stationary but up to mid-wheel in standing water. I moved it to higher ground. Did I have to?

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I've recently seen YouTube videos of Tesla's in China actually pushing water over their hoods. Elon Musk actually says that the Tesla is totally waterproof and it can actually float. How about the Bolt? Anybody with any experience out there? Any Chevy engineers?
Last night my car was stationary but up to mid-week in standing water. I moved it to higher ground. Did I have to?
I would not intentionally drive any car into high water. It will find its way into places you don't want it. It probably won't stop immediately, but dirt and corrosion will not do it any good..

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Last night my car was stationary but up to mid-wheel in standing water. I moved it to higher ground. Did I have to?
If Tesla's were waterproof and can float then there would be no flood damaged Teslas.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If Tesla's were waterproof and can float then there would be no flood damaged Teslas.
“Waterproof” is one of those words that, in reality, is not defined by its literal meaning of the roots of each word portion.
In automotive world, water resistance is described by ratings like IP68, IP6K9K, IP5, etc. which are defined in the IEC529 specification for dust and water resistance.
I can’t post the spec because you gotta buy it. However, as an example, IPx7 (the x being a dust rating), the 7 refers to a product being tested to meet 1m of water depth for 30 minutes without water intrusion or damage.
Like anything, surviving for 30m doesn’t mean it will or won’t survive for 60 minutes, just means it wasn’t tested longer than 30 minutes.

So, to be waterproof to survive a flood, seals for axle shafts, gaskets, and anyplace two parts come together on the outside of a component, they’d have to be tested to survive to a certain depth for a certain amount of time. The constant pressure of the water is what makes it fail. They are cars, not boats.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Two thoughts: A) forget whether or not a tesla will get some water penetration while floating.. the larger issue is its going to be swept along w the water current if its wheels arent on the ground! :LOL:

b) we seem to have skipped over, Tom, wtf happend that your car was in a foot or more of water?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I curbed the crap out of a wheel going around a flooded out firebird when the end of our street flooded. I turned on the surround camera and drove slow enough to keep it from turning off. Water was just below the front bumper camera.

Keith

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolt Bolt EV
1,169 Posts
I doubt the Bolt would float, but it might be able to traverse some high water.
Actually does.. I had my Bolt just 2 weeks when we had a thunderstorm, one where you can barely see driving because the rain is coming down so hard. I was going down the road when I could see Cop car lights flashing ...as I can up to it ....then I seen 5 cars stalled in highwater in the road...I as already in it and had no choice but to continue on... The Bolt swam like a champ !

As I exited I was recalling that Elon quote about being able to float for a bit

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
476 Posts
Going to car washes with underbelly spray cleaning and not seeing any issue with that seems to indicate the Bolt can take some water and survive. Since it does not need air or exhaust seems like it would take to water better than an ICE car though water may seep in.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
As discussed in fire related topic, the Bolt battery has "vents" on the top covered with a material that allows air to pass but not water. I've tested similar vents for IP67 (1 meter depth), but have no idea what the Bolt vents are rated for. I'm sure they are fine for water splashing on them but I wouldn't want to test for submersion.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts