Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

Bolt Infotainment system... When Up Means Down!

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  SparkE 
#1 ·
Kudos to the mechanical engineers who designed and built the Bolt! It's an incredible car!

The infotainment system in contrast to the car is a mess!

Here's the latest head scratcher I've noticed only because I just started using a USB stick to play my audio files a few days ago...

So, you're on track 03- the middle track on the page that shows 5 tracks... you press the UP "Favorites" paddle on the steering wheel... the infotainment system moves DOWN to track 04 on the list even though you pressed the "UP" paddle. Press the UP paddle agin... it skips DOWN to track 05 on the list.
Now go back to track 03 and press the DOWN paddle... it moves you UP the list to track 02!

OK, that's messed up right!

Now, go to track 05, which is the last track on page one on the display- press the UP paddle to go to track 06... yes track 06 starts playing.. but the display stays on page one which shows the first 5 tracks only. You can keep using the paddles to go down the list to tracks on display page 3 and it still only displays the page one track list.

Like I said... it's an unfinished mess!

Love the car... really starting to dislike the infotainment system. :(

Oh yeah... no FLAC support? Really?
But it plays Wave files :(
Oh.. no cover art either?

See less See more
#2 ·
Fortunately, everything you've mentioned can be fixed through software updates from GM. The big question is, will they bother making any improvements to the infotainment system based on customer feed back and will they make it available to the 2017 model year, or wait until the next major update to the car?

Edit - they need an 'invert look' option like on every gaming console controller out there lol

#3 ·
Up/Down has the behavior of the next/previous (right/left) hard buttons that are above the volume control. And yes, it's counter-intuitive when looking at a list that goes from top to bottom, like a list of presets or a track listing. An invert-look type of setting would be helpful. Something to call in about and suggest. Sadly, GM is not the only auto manufacturer who has this type interface issue. It's present in my 2016 Toyota Highlander Hybrid and 2012 Plug-in Prius.

#4 ·
^ Funny you mention the 2012 PIP devbolt...
I was trying to remember where I had seen that messed up behavior before.. it was the 2012 PIP I owned before I got the Volt in 2014.
Everyone busted on Toyota for screwing that up! That infotainment system sucked too. Maybe the same korean coders wrote the Bolt code too?

IMO... it's simply due to the fact that the team who wrote the radio tuning software never actually tried it on the finished vehicle. :(

I can kind of understand how they screwed up the Up=next track which actually moves to the track down the list, but...

How did they miss displaying the next page of tracks/radio presets once you move past track/preset number 5 on page one or number 10 on page two?
Once you move past track or preset 5 on the first page... you have no idea where you are.

#5 ·
Well, unless you think "Up" means "plus one (+1)". Using "Up" moves from track 4 to track 5...

Happily, it's not a behavior that I find difficult to learn in under 10 seconds. Tough for those that can't, I guess.

#6 ·
Happily, it's not a behavior that I find difficult to learn in under 10 seconds. Tough for those that can't, I guess.
When I moved into my house there was a switch that you flipped down to turn the light on. And a dual switch by the back door in which the switch further from the door was the one that operated the light outside the door. One of the first things I did when we moved in was to fix them so they operated sensibly.

Yeah, it's true that you can learn to use it. But it's still annoying as heck, IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.