Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I see that the cup holders are just in front of the shift lever. Does anyone know whether hitting the shift lever when attempting to use one of the cup holders will be a problem or does the shift lever require actually holding the lever and pressing something in order to change gears?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
You may brush up against the lever depending on how you grab the drinks but you shouldn't hit it hard enough to shift it.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Shouldn't be able to hit it hard enough to shift it. But those typically don't have a button to press. Or they'll have a button that's just for park or something like that.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The button has a "P" on it so I assume it's used for the electric parking brake only. Just make sure you grab an extra large drink so it sticks out above the shift stick and you'll be fine.:D

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've always wanted one of those ! Never got around to ordering one.. but hey, that's a great idea as well lol !

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The possibilities! I've always wanted one, will never have to leave the couch for a drink again. I'm sure the Bolt design guys took into account those of us who wants to take a sip while driving.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I just read from Jalopnik that the Chevy team in charge of designing the Bolt first and foremost concentrated on maximizing interior space than the aerodynamics of the car.

[T]he Bolt broke new ground. “It’s a bit of a segment buster,” Norris said. “We call it a C-segment interior on a B-segment platform.”

“When we designed the Bolt EV, we kind of had this image of the vehicle as the next-generation of family vehicle, a reinventing of what a family car would be,” Norris said. “So it’s got this big spacious interior volume, a ton of trunk space.”
Nothing wrong with getting more interior space but if this is true, with a more aerodynamic body the Bolt could have more range.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Quoting only part of the story paints only part of the picture.

” Norris’ design team incorporated a spoiler and sharply creased winglike canards along the tail edge of the car. Other tricks were underbody paneling, air dams and active grille shutters that close at certain speeds to streamline airflow. Designers even adjusted the radius of the A-pillar, modified the mirrors and fine-tuned tire coverage.

“No fewer than six full-sized iterations of the Bolt underwent wind-tunnel testing.”
They did not ignore aerodynamics, but chose to maximize interior space. The hatchback/small wagon form factor will by definition be less aerodynamic.

“Small-car design has always been a challenging area because you’re trying to deliver more for less. This is a pretty unique execution.”

1 - 13 of 13 Posts