Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Gad I am getting more paranoid with this car lol

I hear a little thud when you take off and stop in L.

I only noticed it because I was sitting in the car with my teenager daughter in stop and creep traffic. I was trying to irritate her with fast start stop (not even getting to 1 mph). Then I heard the little thud.

Almost like when a Relay switch turns on and off. Almost like when you flick the high beams on and hear the thick click, but deeper.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Gad I am getting more paranoid with this car lol

I hear a little thud when you take off and stop in L.

I only noticed it because I was sitting in the car with my teenager daughter in stop and creep traffic. I was trying to irritate her with fast start stop (not even getting to 1 mph). Then I heard the little thud.

Almost like when a Relay switch turns on and off. Almost like when you flick the high beams on and hear the thick click, but deeper.

I went through four sets of motor mounts in my EV-1s. A discernible "thump" on acceleration (+ and -).

Extreme torque is a difficult thing to control.

Just a data point to consider...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Update...I received a call from the GM executive representative today and was told that I was approved for an extension to my bumper to bumper warranty! She did not have the confirmed extension period yet as they still needed to get my current mileage (about 3500 miles.) She has expedited the case and and is hoping to have an answer tomorrow. Update will be posted when I hear from them.

BTW...the creaking is back except it does not do it on every takeoff and stop like before the repair. It's more like one out of 5. It's just as loud as it was at its worst, but it does not do it as much. I can't seem to find what the right conditions are to make it creak. I can't possibly take it back to the dealer and say the creaking is back and then have the car not make the noise when they drive it. Grrrr...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Update...I received a call from the GM executive representative today and was told that I was approved for an extension to my bumper to bumper warranty! She did not have the confirmed extension period yet as they still needed to get my current mileage (about 3500 miles.) She has expedited the case and and is hoping to have an answer tomorrow. Update will be posted when I hear from them.

BTW...the creaking is back except it does not do it on every takeoff and stop like before the repair. It's more like one out of 5. It's just as loud as it was at its worst, but it does not do it as much. I can't seem to find what the right conditions are to make it creak. I can't possibly take it back to the dealer and say the creaking is back and then have the car not make the noise when they drive it. Grrrr...

I once had a newbie engineer try to convince me that intermittent failures *must* be easier to fix, because...reasons.

Ummmm....no...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I once had a newbie engineer try to convince me that intermittent failures *must* be easier to fix, because...reasons.
The issue with intermittent failures isn't how easy they are to fix, it's how difficult they are to diagnose. It can take 10 hours of labour to figure out what the problem is and then 5 minutes to fix it.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

Ummmm....no...:rolleyes:
Not an engineer. Even back in my college days during the electrical circuits part of physics series, the labs for troubleshooting simple circuits hammered into your heads this: intermittent symptoms suuuuuuuck. It takes all your will power to avoid sacrificing a virgin college student (read: you, your lab partner, your other lab partner, any kid in the class really) to appease the gods and get the intermittent symptoms to go away.

The issue with intermittent failures isn't how easy they are to fix, it's how difficult they are to diagnose. It can take 10 hours of labour to figure out what the problem is and then 5 minutes to fix it.
S'truth. Same goes for most troubleshooting of anything. Like 75% of the time, it's finding the problem, not fixing it. Other 25% of the time, figuring out the fix given constraints is the harder part. What's that adage, "I can guarantee you 2 out of 3 things: it will be fixed fast, it will be fixed for good, or it will be fixed for cheap."

This is where a dash cam can help. It will be laborious, but maybe rig one up to always record near where creaks occur and when you hear one, remember to offload the video clip when you get home. A majority of video/audio clips might sway the tech.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My bolt has 2800 miles on it and I am getting the random 'thunk' under the driver's side.
No creaking, but a light 'thunk' - after completing a turn, not under accel or decel.
I removed the large plastic protective guard underneath and checked everything for cracks, play, damage.
I found nothing obvious but can see that the sway bar is very tight against the frame and motor components.
Then I needed the car and buttoned it all back up.
If it keeps up or gets worse I'll inject some grease or silicone lube in between the sway bar and frame, if I can get close enough.
More to follow.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I've also got a creaking sound which I believe is coming from the rear suspension. Mine also happens on gentle acceleration and deceleration, and also when going over speed bumps. I've been waiting for it to worsen or get more consistent before taking it in. I'll be watching for your update!
Well that was interesting, and not what I expected...

I took the Bolt in today to have the battery software and windshield wiper recalls done, and to have them look for the cause of the creaking sound. They diagnosed the creaking as coming from the hatch and adjusted and lubricated the rubber bumpers (the ones at the corner of the hatch door that can screw in and out). When they told me this I was skeptical, but sure enough the creaking has stopped.

So if you're having a creaking sound from the rear when you go over speed bumps this is something worth looking into. Especially since it's so easy and cheap to do.

·
Registered
494 Posts
They diagnosed the creaking as coming from the hatch and adjusted and lubricated the rubber bumpers (the ones at the corner of the hatch door that can screw in and out). When they told me this I was skeptical, but sure enough the creaking has stopped.

So if you're having a creaking sound from the rear when you go over speed bumps this is something worth looking into. Especially since it's so easy and cheap to do.
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I have something similar so I’ll look into it after work today. By any chance would you happen to know what they used to lubricate? This certainly does sound like a very easy fix, and hopefully that’s all that it is as well on our Bolt.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I have something similar so I’ll look into it after work today. By any chance would you happen to know what they used to lubricate? This certainly does sound like a very easy fix, and hopefully that’s all that it is as well on our Bolt.

Stuff like those bumpers you use silicone grease, or bulb grease is another name for it.

This is the same grease or lubricant, you are suppose to use on rubber seals like around your doors once a year to keep them new.

·
Registered
494 Posts

Stuff like those bumpers you use silicone grease, or bulb grease is another name for it.

This is the same grease or lubricant, you are suppose to use on rubber seals like around your doors once a year to keep them new.
Thanks, definitely have a can of silicone grease lying around in the garage for that exact purpose - greasing the garage door joints annually. Hope that fixes it later!

·
Registered
494 Posts
I couldn't tell you specifically, but it appears to be a clear grease with a consistency similar to Vaseline (I am NOT saying that it's actual Vaseline!!!).
Thanks Sean! That does seem consistent with what @beeguz recommended (silicone grease) because it does come in a Vaseline-like consistency, though the one I have at home is of the spray-can variety. (Makes life easier when greasing the garage doors.)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks, definitely have a can of silicone grease lying around in the garage for that exact purpose - greasing the garage door joints annually. Hope that fixes it later!

I stopped buying the can because by the time I got around to using it, all the propellant had leaked out, since that happened to me I only buy it in the tubes.

Comes in an toothpaste like tube made of aluminum, you can also buy it in little one time use packages, on most part store counters if you don't want to spring for the whole tube it can be quite pricey.

Around the house it works great on sliding things like closet doors and sliding glass doors, its a very useful grease.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Follow Up and Finally, A Resolution!

Finally, after a month of back and forth (mostly due to my assigned executive rep leaving the company and another having to take the case), GM is extending my bumper to bumper warranty to 5 years from today (not from the purchase date this past February) and to 78,000 miles. That's means that I have an extra 2.5 years and 33,000 miles of coverage beyond the standard 3 year/36,000 miles bumper to bumper from GM. So that gives me some piece of mind that if anything goes wrong with the car due to the engine being removed, it will be covered. The warranty extension will be in the GM's nationwide service system so I can bring my car to any dealer and they will see it in their system so I won't have to explain things every time I bring the car in. Seems like a letter to the GM CEO can actually make a difference.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
That's a good offer, scoobybri! It's almost like a brand new car warranty!

Glad the letter brought you such great traction. Thanks for the good news and here's hoping it serves as an example for others who might need help convincing GM to play ball.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 bolt with 6300 km.It has started to make the creaking noise under liw speed acceleration and deceleration. Tech has looked at it .Says sway bar is not rubbing and everything is tight in front end .Tried to say new car and this is normal for this vehicle.I call bullshit .I would never buy a vehicle with a defect such as this .does anyone have a story where this problem has been fixed ?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
I have a 2018 bolt with 6300 km.It has started to make the creaking noise under liw speed acceleration and deceleration.
I had some creaking from the rear end that would manifest itself when going over speed bumps. Here's a video showing the kind of noise I was hearing:

https://youtu.be/N1SEqYR94cM

The dealer fixed it by adjusting and lubricating the rubber bumper stops for the rear hatch, no big deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Finally, after a month of back and forth (mostly due to my assigned executive rep leaving the company and another having to take the case), GM is extending my bumper to bumper warranty to 5 years from today (not from the purchase date this past February) and to 78,000 miles. That's means that I have an extra 2.5 years and 33,000 miles of coverage beyond the standard 3 year/36,000 miles bumper to bumper from GM. So that gives me some piece of mind that if anything goes wrong with the car due to the engine being removed, it will be covered. The warranty extension will be in the GM's nationwide service system so I can bring my car to any dealer and they will see it in their system so I won't have to explain things every time I bring the car in. Seems like a letter to the GM CEO can actually make a difference.
That's good news. Mine is 5500 miles and it's making this creaking sound. What dealership did you bring it to?

What is the windshield wiper recall?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacement anti sway bar arrived at the dealer yesterday which is only 2 days from when it was ordered. I have an appointment to drop off the Bolt Tuesday with an ETA of 2 days for the repair. I am going to write a letter to Chevy's upper management voicing my concerns of having my motor removed 4 months into ownership. I am concerned not only about the motor but also about all of the other systems that have to be removed to get the motor out like the HVAC, cooling, drivetrain, suspension, etc. Anytime you remove a major system from a car, you introduce the possibility that the system could prematurely fail due to misinstallation and the introduction of contaminates. I think GM should extend my bumper to bumper warranty just in case removing the motor this early in the life of the car causes other issues down the road.
@scoobybri

Can you confirm if replacing that part fully resolved your problem? My 6mo old/8k Bolt has been showing the same symptoms for a while now where it would produce a very distinct creaking or metallic like popping (or even a metal spring twisting back and forth) sounds from the front side when driving at very low speeds.

I had it serviced by the dealer a month or two ago where it was diagnosed as a failed AXLE and the replacement made the noise go away completely. Unfortunately, I have again started hearing the same noise at same intensity just a few days ago.

I wonder what GM is doing about this since it seems like many people are having the same issue. I guess I will have to revist the dealer and hope they can fix it once and for all. It's very concerning to drive with this sound coming out bc something is def not right.

Please let me know if anyone's had any success getting rid of this noise. Would making my dealer tech pinpoint the issue a lot easier

41 - 60 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
37 Participants
Riderice
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing