Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
How does a drive axle fail so quickly anyway and twice, too? Could it be that the culprit lies in the vicinity of that axle area since replacing it did in fact stop the noise albeit for only a month or so.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just as a data point, I went through four sets of motor mounts on three different EV-1s in the late '90s and early oughts. (The EV-1 is a direct predecessor to the Bolt, and was also made by GM.) The symptom on those was a distinctive "THUNK" on both acceleration and deceleration.
You had an EV-1? That's a pretty exclusive club. Most people don't even know there was an American-made all-electric that far back.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
You had an EV-1? That's a pretty exclusive club. Most people don't even know there was an American-made all-electric that far back.

Three of them, in fact.

A PbA 1997 that was recalled, a NiMH 1999, and a refurbed PbA 1997a.

We had the NiMh '99 and refurbed '97a at the same time. Met a lot of other drivers, too: Ed Begley Jr., Alexandra Paul, Bill Nye and Chris Paine (director of Who Killed the Electric Car) are the "famous"ones. Alexandra Paul is delightful (as well as smart and beautiful.) I spoke with her for a long time. (Afterward, my wife asked me if I needed a bib.) We went to several charity events and parties with the aforementioned folks.

All because we nobody shlubs happened to take a test-drive in one at a Saturn dealer near our house in HB.:nerd:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Cool.

I guess some people want to think of the EV-1 as a failure, but I disagree. I think it successfully demonstrated that
Yes, an all-electric is a viable option, i.e. it can get the job done, at least in urban environments
Yes, people want and will buy an all-electric (lease in the case of the EV-1, of course)
No, current battery technology isn't good enough to make the first two work

·
Registered
362 Posts
My 2018 Bolt just started with the creaking sound from the driver's side front today. Light acceleration and just before full stop. Car has 700 miles on it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My 2018 Bolt just started with the creaking sound from the driver's side front today. Light acceleration and just before full stop. Car has 700 miles on it.
Stopped by my local dealership this morning hoping I could get somebody to listen to the creaking sound. One of the service advisors got in and he was able to hear it firsthand. He said there is a TSB to torque the suspension nuts. The car is going in next week and hopefully this will eliminate the noise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My Bolt started clicking and popping one week ago. It is something wrong with a stabilizer link which the dealer has ordered. It sounds a bit like my Honda Insight that started creaking at the stabilizer link ball end after 15 years and 150K miles. I am assuming there is a nylon sleeve or something that isn't up to par on the ball joint of the link on the Bolt too.

On the Honda I installed a new link myself (easy because it is not under load). The Bolt is still under warranty.

Edit: to fix spelling.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had mine replaced and it still makes the noise. Mine only makes the noise in hot weather.

They did mess up my alignment, but they say it's not required. My steering wheel is crocked. So now I guess I need to reach out to GM for resolution as the dealership has made no indication they will fix the alignment. I sure they would love to bill me.

@scoobybri

Can you confirm if replacing that part fully resolved your problem? My 6mo old/8k Bolt has been showing the same symptoms for a while now where it would produce a very distinct creaking or metallic like popping (or even a metal spring twisting back and forth) sounds from the front side when driving at very low speeds.

I had it serviced by the dealer a month or two ago where it was diagnosed as a failed AXLE and the replacement made the noise go away completely. Unfortunately, I have again started hearing the same noise at same intensity just a few days ago.

I wonder what GM is doing about this since it seems like many people are having the same issue. I guess I will have to revist the dealer and hope they can fix it once and for all. It's very concerning to drive with this sound coming out bc something is def not right.

Please let me know if anyone's had any success getting rid of this noise. Would making my dealer tech pinpoint the issue a lot easier

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2017 Bolt (16,000 +mi) started the creaking noise recently. Can hear it when just about coming to a complete stop and then when accelerating from a stop. Thought it went away, now it's getting louder. Was in my parking garage at work and hung my head out the driver's side window while doing slow stop and goes and could distinctly hear the sound coming somewhere under the left front of the car. Did the same thing again then next day and it sounded like it was coming under the right front. Go figure?? Took it to the dealer on a Saturday morning (with appt) and the service adviser jumped in with me and confirmed he heard it too. 15 minutes later was told they only have one guy who works on Bolts and Volts so he probably can't look at it today. The service tech thinks it could be the axle. Couldn't get a loaner vehicle until they have my car for 24 hrs. Of course they're closed on Sunday! Went back to the dealer on Monday morning to get a loaner through Enterprise. As of 10:30am my Bolt was still sitting out on a lot in the "queue" having not been looked at/diagnosed yet! Now it's Tuesday 12/18 and I'm about to give them a call to see what the status is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my Bolt back from the dealer yesterday. Pretty disappointed to say the least. The "creaking" is still there and actually sounds worse than before. I've attached the invoice which looks like they just disassembled a few things, cleaned, tightened and put it back together. It appears they have no knowledge of this issue nor did they contact GM for a resolution. I even tipped them off to this website about others having this creaking issue. My Bolt was there for a week! Sure part of the time it was just sitting there due to the only "Bolt tech" backed up on fixing other Bolts. I may try the dealership where I leased it to see if I can get better service and an actual repair that solves this issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Got my Bolt back from the dealer yesterday. Pretty disappointed to say the least. The "creaking" is still there and actually sounds worse than before. I've attached the invoice which looks like they just disassembled a few things, cleaned, tightened and put it back together. It appears they have no knowledge of this issue nor did they contact GM for a resolution. I even tipped them off to this website about others having this creaking issue. My Bolt was there for a week! Sure part of the time it was just sitting there due to the only "Bolt tech" backed up on fixing other Bolts. I may try the dealership where I leased it to see if I can get better service and an actual repair that solves this issue.

If I were you, I'd copy and paste this post as a Yelp review of this dealer, along with two stars.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wrote GM Customer Service about my experience, then called them after I received a canned response that they couldn't reach me at the number I gave them in my email....even though it was the correct number. I ended up just speaking to a low level rep who basically told me that all I can do is take it back again and to let her know beforehand so she can have a GM Tech call the dealer to...advise? I'm not sure. At any rate, I'll take it to the dealer I leased from, see if I have better luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Took my Bolt to the dealer I leased from this time around. They ended up removing the left front wheel and re-torqued the front axle shaft to factory specs. That seems to have solved the creaking noise issue as I hear nothing when taking off or when coming to a stop. Hopefully it's resolved and doesn't reappear another 10K miles later...or sooner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did you ever find out the cause? My car just started doing this as well. Really annoying when sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.
Well, I guess you could say the cause was the front axle shaft, as that is what they re-torqued. Yes, the creaking sound completely went away, but 2 months later it's back again. Not at the same level and loudness, but I definitely hear it when I'm stopping or accelerating from an incline or decline. I'll probably wait until it gets a little louder so it can be easily duplicated at the dealer. That will result in me missing more time from work, having to get one of their Chevy loaners (or having to go to Enterprise to get...yes another Chevy)

Along with other annoying things about this car that have irked me over the last 19 months that it's been in my possession, I am officially declaring it a POS. Brought to you by GM (Garbage Motors). Some may like it, and it may fit their needs or wants, but I'm counting the days until I turn it back in Aug. 2020.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Scoobybri,

Would you mind posting a copy of the letter you sent to gm? I have been through the ringer with my Bolt, yet I still like the car. I have had the stabilizer bar link on the left and the right replaced. I had the the stabilizer bar replaced, which involves what you had stated about all the guts getting removed and re installed. And to top it off, they replaced the high voltage battery! I have been at the dealer more than I have been on the road. LOL

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2019 Bolt Premier is having issues w/ front-end squeak (only in cold <65F weather) - Dealer replaced both Stabilizer Links and torqued suspension bolts but did not fix problem. See video here @ https://youtu.be/5wrV5FzwUq4 . Curious if anyone else had this problem and how it might have been solved.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
37 Participants
Riderice
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing