Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
to fix creaking noises after 40K, maybe due to warmer summer weather, my GM dealer replaced the left front strut assembly and transferred spring; however, they then noticed clunking noises, and replaced both front sway bar links, which removed the noises. this whole operation also required them to access a bolt which happened to be under the windshield wiper motor assembly, which they had to crowbar out and damaged (along with the windshield), so they replaced the windshield and the wiper motor assembly (which had been recalled last year and replaced). dealer service rep comments included: creaking noise likely from the ball bearings of the strut assembly but not a safety issue; dealer has little experience with this model (Bolt 17) and therefore they have much to learn. GM provides no training or reference material? Zero cost to me, but not sure if this is due to my 48/120 Protection Plan ($100 deductible not applied in this case) or manufacturing defects. Courtesy rental was not ZEV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Years ago I had a really annoying creak from the rear (Subaru Legacy) that the dealership refused to diagnose or fix. It was only when the rear suspension was being compressed slowly, like pulled out of a driveway, as apposed to hitting a bump in the road.

Anyway, I discovered it was the 2 bushings on the rear anti-sway bar. They are basically just thick rubber pieces that wrap around a metal bar. So I just glopped a ton a heavy duty axle grease all over them and it fixed the creaking. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
6 Posts
after several attempts to confirm the reason the GM dealer performed this work pro bono, they texted the following on September 16, 2019: "You had a concern regarding a noise which is not necessarily safety related but could be in the future. We addressed the noisy bearings from the shock for you as well as the sway bar links which had play in them."

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have been farther out of warranty than her and after asking for a warranty exception, GM has covered the issue. I've been as far as 5,000 miles out of a warranty and they, after 2 days of them going back and forth, covered it. She's just over 1k miles past, I'm sure they will help her out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
GM Says Nothing Is Wrong...Not Happy

So the dealer calls and tells me the car is ready for pickup. When I arrive the service person apologizes and tells me that although the tech and service manager think that there could be an issue, GM engineers said this a normal sound for the Bolt. They had put in a service ticket with GM engineering when they couldn't easily diagnose the problem. GM told them to check the torque on all of the suspension parts. The dealer did that and the the creaking persisted. That's when GM told the dealer that "some Bolts make this sound and others don't but most of them will eventually." The dealer does not have another Bolt in stock to verify that this is true...or not. So now I have a GM ticket number that I have to escalate. I'm waiting until my wife gets home this evening to verify that her Bolt does or does not creak when coming to a slow stop and on light take off. I'm pretty sure it doesn't because she likely would have noticed this since she commutes 60 miles a day on mostly surface streets. In the meantime, I've put up a video on Youtube demonstrating the creaking sound. Maybe some of you could see if your Bolts make the same sound when coming to a light stop. Get up to 5 miles an hour and let L mode take you to a complete stop or lightly use the brake to stop. I hear the creak in the last seconds before the stop and sometimes after. Check out the video below.

I am going to give GM a call tomorrow and push the issue. This is not normal. I think it may be engine mount related or in the transmission. Let me know what you think and if this is "normal" in your Bolt.
thats loud enough, hard to miss..so far not hearing that on mine.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
Oh, I went to her page, GM covered her repair 100% for free.
I'm thinking that before I let our local mechanics pull the entire drivetrain out of our Bolt for paint rubbing off the center of the sway bar against the subframe crossmember, I'd run it up on my ramps, pull the plastic chassis cover, and squirt some gear lube on there. Not rocket science. Put a two foot piece of polyethylene tubing on the end of my old oil can, slide it along the sway bar from the wheel well to the center, and pump.

I just went out in the garage. I got down on my knees and looked in the wheel well behind the wheel. I can see the bend in the sway bar, and the rubber bushing and clamp on the crossmember. I could probably do this job just jacking up a front wheel, and pulling it off.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My 2019 Bolt Premier is having issues w/ front-end squeak (only in cold <65F weather) - Dealer replaced both Stabilizer Links and torqued suspension bolts but did not fix problem. See video here @
. Curious if anyone else had this problem and how it might have been solved.
Did this get fixed? sounds like what some were saying Axel? Or maybe strut area?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Did you ever find out the cause? My car just started doing this as well. Really annoying when sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.
the dealer "replaced" the sway bar but it is still there, if not a bit louder.
They are taking it again next week to see if they can find out where it is coming from and also fix the dash they screwed up

81 - 92 of 92 Posts