Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Disclaimer: DON'T DO THIS!) >:)

So, I was curious... just how good is lane assist?

Knowing that it uses the cameras placed around the car, I realized that the road has to be clean, and the lanes marked well to actually expect lane assist to work and do what it does.

Living in the Denver area, coming out of the Airport at about 2:00 AM, Pena Ave is a very long open well maintained road. And at that time, no other traffic.

So: Cruse control on, lane assist, hands off... and VERY ATTENTIVE to see what happens. Ready to take control immediately.

(AGAIN... Disclaimer: DON'T DO THIS!)

So the Bolt drove along and started to drift... lane assist corrected... and then the drift went to the other side... and corrected. Slowly back and forth like a pinball down a chute.

I did that for about six times until finally I realized that if there was police watching, I would likely be pulled over for suspicion of drunk driving.

So, I was impressed that lane assist could do that much, but I don't think that I can count on it for any more that the gentle nudge if I happen to look away from the road while changing the radio station.

I do look forward to a car with a self driving option in the future, but the 2017 Bolt is NOT it! :D

·
Registered
326 Posts
This may sound like an excuse for under-baked technology, but in a way the drunken sailor effect is a good thing. It insures that no one in his right mind will ever depend on it to "drive" the car. It shows lane assist for what what it is, a technology that may help prevent an accident due to distracted driving or a driver falling asleep. I do wish there were fewer circumstances where it disables itself.

·
Registered
676 Posts
My wife's 2016 Honda Civic has the lane assistance mode... it too will do the drunken sailor wobble. It does not attempt to keep the car centered at all. The *only* thing it does is nudge the steering wheel when you get to the edge of the lane. There is an open source app you can run on an android phone that talks via the ODBII port and will actually steer the car for you. I know it works with the honda civic, but not sure about the Bolt. https://comma.ai/

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
937 Posts
The lane assist doesn't use the cameras around the car, it only uses the forward pointing camera up by the mirror/tv on the front window. So the camera's under the side view mirrors and the rearview/backup cameras are not used for lane assist. It is why if you approach a hill you will see once the front camera in the car loses view of the road the lane tracking is lost as well, if it actually used the side cameras it would still be able to track, well if the side cameras were high enough resolution, the ones on the Bolt right now are really low resolution.

The cameras under the side view mirrors are just for the birds eye view. The rearview and backup cameras are used just for the named purposes as well. It is also why there isn't rear pedestrian braking. The forward pedestrian alert/braking feature also uses the same front view camera lane assist uses, same with front collision warning/braking. All the image recognition is done by that camera. That is how all those systems work, it is just real time image recognition software at work.

Now it would be nice that if in the future they add other cameras to the image recognition processing, which is what Tesla does with all the cameras on their cars, they all go through image recognition. I can only assume that GM didn't do it with the Bolt because they didn't want to develop a whole new system because the one on the Bolt is just a take off from other GM cars, it wasn't anything new. Though if GM does do it they will probably need to follow Tesla's lead and add more cameras, they have 8 cameras and more radar sensors as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Lane assist is there to keep you from accidentally leaving the lane (like if you reach over to grab something that fell on the floor), it isn't intended to be like the Tesla/Nissan feature which handles the steering for you. Unfortunately.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
... There is an open source app you can run on an android phone that talks via the ODBII port and will actually steer the car for you. https://comma.ai/

TOO COOL !!! :nerd:

Looks like the Volt with Driver Confidence Package II is WIP (work in Progress). I can't imagine that the Bolt will be far behind.

Time to hack the car!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.