Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of my Bolt. Sitting in the driveway with the Leaf it is replacing. Took forever to get delivery - the Bolt has a finished manufacturing date of November 29 and released to shipping on that date. Didn't get to California for more than a month.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just took delivery of my Bolt. Sitting in the driveway with the Leaf it is replacing. Took forever to get delivery - the Bolt has a finished manufacturing date of November 29 and released to shipping on that date. Didn't get to California for more than a month.
Congrats on the Bolt. Everything in the driveway and the house is silver.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Now that is some serious color coordination. Welcome to the forums though and congratulations. Considering you have both on hand at the same time, how do you feel they compare to each other?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Does it always take that long for shipment to arrive at dealer??? Yuck!!! Mine shipped 1/10 and I'm already tired of waiting.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Does it always take that long for shipment to arrive at dealer??? Yuck!!! Mine shipped 1/10 and I'm already tired of waiting.
Patience, grasshopper. I know of a guy that had his Bolt built in mid-November, and he STILL doesn't have it. :eek: And he's a CA resident too.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Closer and closer.....

Patience, grasshopper. I know of a guy that had his Bolt built in mid-November, and he STILL doesn't have it. :eek: And he's a CA resident too.
Just got a call from my dealer letting me know that my car has been unloaded from the train and is now in Milpitas. He has no idea how long it will take to make the short trip to the dealer.

SO EXCITED!!!

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Just got a call from my dealer letting me know that my car has been unloaded from the train and is now in Milpitas. He has no idea how long it will take to make the short trip to the dealer.

SO EXCITED!!!
Congrats!

But uh....be aware the truck ride from Milpitas to your dealer could take anywhere from a couple of days to almost 2 weeks. My Bolt sat at the train yard for 10 days before it finally arrived at the dealer. :|

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Congrats!

But uh....be aware the truck ride from Milpitas to your dealer could take anywhere from a couple of days to almost 2 weeks. My Bolt sat at the train yard for 10 days before it finally arrived at the dealer. :|
Yep. Shipping logistics are a *****, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Congrats!

I am going to take up some form of meditative practice to help 0:)carry me through to the finish line. Ommmmmmmmm........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now that is some serious color coordination. Welcome to the forums though and congratulations. Considering you have both on hand at the same time, how do you feel they compare to each other?
Not even close. The Leaf is a 2013. I put juts short of 100,000 miles on it in just over 3 years. In order to keep from totally thrashing the battery, Nissan *STRONGLY* recommends that it be charged only to 80%. That means that if you have an 80% charge, the car has an effective range of about 60 miles (without using the A/C, heater or anything else). My commute is 55.3 miles each way. That means I charged the **** thing twice a day, every day that I commuted and I ran the battery to near exhaustion every time. Take about range anxiety...
On the flip side, after nearly 2,000 charge cycles (80% to 5%), the battery is still near new condition. Having to make the conscious decision every day to move to the slow lane (out of the HOV lane) in order to reserve the battery and be able to keep the windows from fogging up is pretty brutal. Drove the Bolt to work for the first time this week. Absolute LUXURY ! It's clearly a smaller vehicle but feels more spacious inside. The acceleration is far superior as is the regenerative braking on the Bolt. The Leaf is almost one pedal driving...close, but not quite. The Bolt is absolutely stunning in comparison.
Anyone who wants a true EV and doesn't want to wait a couple years for Tesla to release the model 3 should go stand in line to get a Bolt.

·
Registered
368 Posts
My commute is 55.3 miles each way. That means I charged the **** thing twice a day, every day that I commuted and I ran the battery to near exhaustion every time. Take about range anxiety...
Congrats!

That sounds like a miserable commute experience. What on earth possessed you to get a Leaf for that?:confused:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A combination of desperation and commitment. I am committed to the concept of electrification and reduction of fossil fuels - I have a 10 kW solar system to support the vehicle use as well as home use. At the time - the Leaf was the longest range EV other than Tesla. I bought the car based on listening to an uniformed sales guy - I was naive enough to believe him (won't make that mistake again). Based on what I was told and what the sticker said - 80 mile range gave me some cushion. The practical limits didn't hit home until I was using it regularly. My first trips were with a 100% charge and that was not a problem. When I finally drilled down - the revelation of range and battery life being opposing forces - I chose battery life...and started looking for a replacement vehicle. Once it was clear that the Bolt was actually going to be produced - I sat myself in the local dealer in January of last year and made sure that there was an understanding that I was going to get the first vehicle in town.
I have waited a year for this car and my sales guy has put up with monthly, then weekly, then daily queries as we approached the October actual release. I knew the first order date before they did and kept it up.
My reward ?
A car that I truly love.
My wife was ambivalent about this until delivery - her only concern was to eliminate the daily range anxiety. She now realizes that this car is a 100% useful vehicle for everything that we do except a true long range excursion of >250 miles. Her hybrid is for that.
BTW - the Bolt range calcs seem to based on about 3.5 mi/kWhr. Since I have a few miles under my belt driving the Leaf - my initial experience with the Bolt is closer to 4.0...lifetime with the Leaf was about 4.2
I set the Bolt to the hilltop charge limit (90%) from day one and I expect to get a practical range of 230-240 miles within that constraint.

·
Registered
322 Posts
BTW - the Bolt range calcs seem to based on about 3.5 mi/kWhr. Since I have a few miles under my belt driving the Leaf - my initial experience with the Bolt is closer to 4.0...lifetime with the Leaf was about 4.2
?? 238 EPA miles / 60 kWh = 3.97 mi/kWh

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This feels like an area where we could get some tech help. The entirety of the 60 kWh battery is not going to be fully available. GM would not permit you to charge it to a true 100% nor would they allow you to drain it to a true zero %. So...
Is it really a 60 kWh battery or is it actually a bit bigger to give the overhead ?
Where is the minimum that we can get down to...is it 5% ? 4% ? 3% ?
Depending on the actual usable size - you're right - maybe even a bit low. if it's 60 minus 2% at each end, then the usable battery is really 57.6 and the nominal estimates are based on 4.13 m/kWh.
I haven't done that level of digging yet.
Is there a resident expert here that can reveal some of those facts ?
I'd love to know....

·
Registered
322 Posts
This feels like an area where we could get some tech help. The entirety of the 60 kWh battery is not going to be fully available. GM would not permit you to charge it to a true 100% nor would they allow you to drain it to a true zero %. So...
Is it really a 60 kWh battery or is it actually a bit bigger to give the overhead ?
Where is the minimum that we can get down to...is it 5% ? 4% ? 3% ?
Depending on the actual usable size - you're right - maybe even a bit low. if it's 60 minus 2% at each end, then the usable battery is really 57.6 and the nominal estimates are based on 4.13 m/kWh.
I haven't done that level of digging yet.
Is there a resident expert here that can reveal some of those facts ?
I'd love to know....
The total battery size is somewhere between 64 and 70 kWh depending on whom you ask to speculate. Many people believe, myself included, that the usable capacity is 60kWh. The 4-10kWh margin is probably split above and below that usable capacity and all of the middle 60kWh is available for your use.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Darn, that Leaf definitely gave you the dictionary definition of some serious range anxiety, that sounds horrendous! But I'm happy the Bolt is a vehicle you truly love and serves you perfectly for what you needed. A purchase that you don't regret is definitely an amazing purchase.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts